Microsoft's Project Natal

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Microsoft's Project Natal

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

This is Microsoft's next big thing, announced yesterday at E3, the project Natal is a webcam-motion sensor type device which seems to be a mix of Microsoft's Xbox live webcam, Sony's Eyetoy and Nintendo's Wiimote...

Xbox menus will be navigated in "Minority Report" style gestures while characters in games will be able to recognise people through facial and voice recognition software... objects, characters and environments in games can be interacted with more directly by the player... after seeing these videos I must say I'm pretty excited about this!

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Microsoft's Project Natal

Post by D3PART3D »

OnlyOneKenobi, I just discovered this today - I think people judge it without giving it a chance because it looks like just another gimmick, but if they'd just watch the vids! An IGN reporter confirms that the tech works just like it does in the videos, there's no trickery from Microsoft here. I'm guessing that since it seems to have dual cameras it's better at processing spatial dimensions, just like human eyes, and that's why it's so effective.

If they implement this right it's going to be ridiculously cool.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

wow...
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

How awesome! :D

Fitness and physical training will never be the same again. Holodecks here we come!

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Before I get into trouble, the videos I saw yesterday were different to the ones Only1 posted, I'll find them in a sec. The video with the little boy named Milo is sort of as impressive in real life, and they're going to use the tech to make a "Super Tamagochi"
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/991/991348p1.html

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Similar to the second vid.

- Elon Musk
dawid22
G3AR Head of Digital

Post by dawid22 »

Look who else is involved with this project: http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/

(For those who don't know him... search his name on YouTube and have a look at what he does with a Wii Remote :wink: )
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

dawid22,

GRANDE AWESOME!!! Thanks!

:o

- Elon Musk
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/featu ... ion-plus-/
At $50 im thinking of getting a xbox
Thanks to Stuart
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

PlayStation 3's next-gen controller is looking quite sick too. It isn't hands-free like Natal, but when it comes to gamer's games I think it has far more potential. Will have to get both. :P

- Elon Musk
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

D3PART3D wrote:PlayStation 3's next-gen controller is looking quite sick too. It isn't hands-free like Natal, but when it comes to gamer's games I think it has far more potential. Will have to get both. :P

While the PS3 motion controller is quite cool, I'm not as blown away by it since it's a more blatant copy of the Wiimote, its mechanics are very similar to what's already being done on the Wii.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium