Recommendations for a local forum hosting service?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
mina.magpie

Recommendations for a local forum hosting service?

Post by mina.magpie »

Hi all,

I want to set up a local support-group type forum and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a forum hosting service, preferably something cheap (read free) like http://www.freeforums.org/ or the like. I'm really hoping to find something that's locally hosted so one doesn't run out of bandwidth halfway through the month.

Failing that, any recommendations on the international ones? Freeforums.org actually doesn't look that bad, except for using phpBB and not SMF.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Recommendations for a local forum hosting service?

Post by Ron2K »

The general rule with free hosting services is that you get what you pay for. If you're prepared to pay for hosting, take a look at WebAfrica's Linux Essentials package.

Oh, and I found SMF to be absolutely hideous, but that was back in the 1.0.x days; they may have gotten better since then.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Ron2K wrote:The general rule with free hosting services is that you get what you pay for. If you're prepared to pay for hosting, take a look at WebAfrica's Linux Essentials package.
Thanks yeah, I was afraid of that. Unfortunately paid hosting is really not possible for me at the moment, so I'll have to consider my options carefully. Thanks for the link though, I'll definitely have a look.

[/quote]Oh, and I found SMF to be absolutely hideous, but that was back in the 1.0.x days; they may have gotten better since then.[/quote]

LOL. It's just that I've been on a bunch of forums in my time, and I've just always found the SMF ones much more user-friendly than the phpBB ones seem to be. Of course if the back-end is unusable I suppose it doesn't matter what the front-end is like. I'll give it some thought and ask around a bit.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

mina.magpie wrote:LOL. It's just that I've been on a bunch of forums in my time, and I've just always found the SMF ones much more user-friendly than the phpBB ones seem to be. Of course if the back-end is unusable I suppose it doesn't matter what the front-end is like. I'll give it some thought and ask around a bit.
I was actually referring to SMF in general - having said that, I really hated the 1.0.x admin interface. With an absolute bloody passion.

Never used the 1.1.x series, so I don't know if it's been improved.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Stick to PHPBB and if you have to go free at least look for a hosted solution like http://www.pro-forums.com/new_forum.php
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Ron2K wrote:
mina.magpie wrote:I was actually referring to SMF in general - having said that, I really hated the 1.0.x admin interface. With an absolute bloody passion. Never used the 1.1.x series, so I don't know if it's been improved.
Hehe. Yeah, the early ones did have their ... hiccups. One of my favourite forums ran 1.1 till recently, and it was quite brilliant. They switched over to 2.0 just a few months ago and there were ALOT of bugs to sort out, so you may have a point ... at least till 2.1 comes out.
maxxis wrote:Stick to PHPBB and if you have to go free at least look for a hosted solution like http://www.pro-forums.com/new_forum.php
I've been reading around a bit and it does seem like phpBB is the preferred platform with more forum admins, so you guys may have a point. Thanks lots for the advice.

So yeah, thanks for the referrals both. :)

Mina.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

mina.magpie, speak to weasel. He might be able to help you.

Maybe you can share some space on his forum at PCPerfect? :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

doo_much wrote:mina.magpie, speak to weasel. He might be able to help you.
Thanks. I'll do that.
Maybe you can share some space on his forum at PCPerfect? :twisted:
LOL. I kinda doubt that he'd go for that. :mrgreen:

BTW, do you read "Looking for a Group"?

Mina.