Weird Windows XP virus?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
PsyCLown

Weird Windows XP virus?

Post by PsyCLown »

Hey all,

I need some help. A while back my aunt brought her laptop to me as it was acting weird and so on.

So I told he I would back up her stuff and format it for her and it will be fine afterwards.
When I got the laptop what happens was the start menu would randomly pop up and then close again and continue this. If you have something where you can type in open (like a txt document, MS word, Run.etc) then when the start menu pops up, each time =0 will get automatically put into what ever.

Soo, =0 can resemble a smiley face. So I thought it was a virus, I found it rather strange as she has an anti-virus (Avast) and firewall (Zonealarm set on the highest protection) which are both set to update automatically.

Soo, anyways, while I was backing up I noticed that at times certain keys would not work. So it made trying to get the IP my router assigned to the lappy pretty hard to obtain as 0 did not work and I had to copy/paste it form somewhere.

None the less, eventually I got everything backed up onto my PC (which runs Windows 7). Then formatted and afterwards it was working perfectly.
Then 2 days ago she brings he laptop back to me, the exact same thing. Although this time she says that the whole keyboard doesn't work at times.

The laptop was perfect for around a month, now the same "virus" yet a bit different.

Soo, I am going to have to back up everything again and reformat... Although I would like to know if any of you have had the same "virus" or perhaps even know if it really is a virus? I thought it may be the keyboard, although from what I have seen it is highly unlikely.

She runs Windows XP Pro SP2. Also if you guys suggest changing the anti virus or firewall.etc Please recommend one that is free :D

“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Sojourn

Re: Weird Windows XP virus?

Post by Sojourn »

Try scanning her removable media, like memory sitcks. Then ask if other people use her laptop at home or the office with their memory sticks. Chances are if this is a virus, thats the culprit that brings it back.

If this was a hardware error, a reload would not have fixed it.

Try different anti-virus and removal software. I have seen how one product with a good reputation misses out on detecting, while the same virus gets detected by a free product downloaded from the web.

Update Win XP after the reload with all the patches to date and get XP sp3.

Unless she needs it, don't give her administrator rights.

Disable the auto-run feature on external media/storage.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Well, she wants me to reformat, so I will do that.

She ONLY uses the laptop at home and only her and myself (on the odd occasion) will use the laptop.
She does not use it for work at all anymore either. I will scan her flash drive though.

I will try AVG this time, see if it makes any difference. Will also install SP3.

Will see how it goes. Thanks :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Psy AVG and AVAST are a tad bit unreliable if I were I would rather use Avira for a free antivirus...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Anakha56 wrote:Psy AVG and AVAST are a tad bit unreliable if I were I would rather use Avira for a free antivirus...
I'd like to see some proof there please.
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

and if it happens again and no virus is in sight.

Disable the windows key.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893. :D

But seriously do it, cus that would prevent the keyboard from sending the windows key signal to windows.
If its a hardware problem.

If the window stops popping up i think its safe to say that its not a virus making the start menu pop up.