Windows 7 RC goes live. Your feedback!

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
bosaap

Re: Windows 7 RC goes live. Your feedback!

Post by bosaap »

You PM
Thanks to Stuart
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Another thing i came across earlier, Empire total War, lags, and lots of artifacting :( i know its not my card, cause benchies and Other games Run perfect,

I am not sure its a steam issue with the game or Win 7 though, so anyone else htats finds bad behaving Empire total war in win 7 Give us a shout
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Wel just finished installing 64bit. For me it installed longer than vista did. and that is clean install not an upgrade.
and when copying files it slowed down. could see that when i opened my browser while to copy was going.
havent played games yet still need to install drivers.

*edit* another thing. I can't install my zonealarms "could not load the DLL library" will google and find out why
Thanks to Stuart
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

bosaap wrote:*edit* another thing. I can't install my zonealarms "could not load the DLL library" will google and find out why
Outpost also doesn't like Win7. Zonelabs will probably tell you that they don't support beta operating systems.
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Thanx Stuart for my copy.

well other than that i like win7.
Thanks to Stuart
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... plorer.ars
Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe without Internet Explorer

Microsoft has responded to the EU's antitrust investigation into its bundling of its browser with Windows by deciding to ship Windows 7 in Europe without Internet Explorer 8 installed. Say hello to the spiritual successor of Windows XP N: Windows 7 E.

Microsoft has announced that it will ship a special version of Vista's successor in Europe, titled Windows 7 E, without Internet Explorer 8. The browser-less version, a reaction to an antitrust investigation by the EU into whether Microsoft is abusing its dominant position with Windows and Internet Explorer, will be distributed in all member nations of the European Economic Area as well as Croatia and Switzerland.

Windows 7 E is reminiscent of media-player-free Windows XP N and Windows Vista N, which Microsoft offered in Europe also in response to an EU antitrust investigation. Unlike the N versions, which proved to be very unsuccessful—as Europeans simply purchased the full retail versions and OEMs refused to include them on their systems—Microsoft is not planning to offer a version of Windows 7 in Europe that includes IE8. This means that none of the versions of Windows 7 sold in Europe will include a Microsoft's browser.

As first reported by CNET and confirmed by Microsoft, OEMs will have the option to add the browser back in, ship another browser, or ship multiple browsers. "The E versions of Windows 7 will include all the features and functionality of Windows 7 in the rest of the world, other than browsing with Internet Explorer," Microsoft notes. "Computer manufacturers will be able to add any browser they want to their Windows 7 machines, including Internet Explorer, so European consumers who purchase new PCs will be able to access the Internet without any problem. Consumers will also be able to add any Web browser to their PCs, to supplement or replace the browsers preinstalled by their computer manufacturer."

Microsoft notes that the decision affects both OEM and Retail versions of Windows 7 products. While OEMs will have access to a free "IE8 pack" that allows them to add the browser back in, consumers who purchase retail copies will not have a browser that they can use to download a browser. Therefore, Microsoft will offer IE8 via CD, FTP, and retail channels. It looks like Mozilla, Opera, Google, and Apple will have to do the same if they want European Windows 7 adopters to have access to their browsers.

Microsoft does not currently have plans to remove Internet Explorer from any versions of Windows XP or Windows Vista, nor from the Windows XP mode add-on for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Recently, the EU has been asking companies what they saw as the best way to remedy the browser-bundling situation, and was even considering a way to get Microsoft to bundle third-party browsers with the operating system, forcing users to choose which browsers to download and install as well as which to set as the default. Microsoft wasn't so keen on the idea of distributing third-party browsers, so it has apparently taken the matter into its own hands and decided to remove IE8 altogether, knowing that the EU already approved of the N editions.

This isn't what the software giant originally wanted to do, as it had previously argued in its legal filings with the EU that the browser was an integral part of the operating system. With the release of the Windows 7 Release Candidate, Microsoft has made it possible to remove IE8 (the beta did not allow this), along with many other Windows components. [W]e’re committed to launching Windows 7 on time in Europe, so we need to address the legal realities in Europe, including the risk of large fines," says Microsoft. "We believe that this new approach, while not our first choice, is the best path forward given the ongoing legal case in Europe."

The European Commission is of two minds on Microsoft's move, pleased by the possibility of OEMs being able to offer multiple browsers, but disappointed that Microsoft itself is not providing consumers with the choice. "As for retail sales, which amount to less than 5 percent of total sales, the Commission had suggested to Microsoft that consumers be provided with a choice of Web browsers," the EC said in a statement. "Instead Microsoft has apparently decided to supply retail consumers with a version of Windows without a Web browser at all. Rather than more choice, Microsoft seems to have chosen to provide less."

The timing of this decision is quite ironic: the browser space has never been as competitive as it is now. Furthermore, rivals continue to chip away at Internet Explorer's market share month after month. Still, third-party browser makers like Opera, Mozilla, and Google have been pushing the EU for tough sanctions against Microsoft. Unless the EU has objections to Microsoft's decision, it looks like new Windows 7 PCs sold in the EU will be IE-free.
:lol: So...

How does one go about getting a browser in Europe? From your linux friends thats who :P :lol:.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

The best part is getting it via ftp, from your freshly installed W7 environment, which of course has no other browsers to do just that :roll: :lol:

Unless I'm missing something about ftp access
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

StarPhoenix wrote:COuld you look on the windows 7 thread on PCF and see whether anyone has
posted a local download link for win7 32 bit please?

Our SysAdmin is looking for it.
Can anyone provide a linky?
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Right Click My Computer 'Manage' not working :lol:
Temporary Absence
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I think the EU are bloody retarded.

How will the Techo-Peasants know what to do? In fact, how will they even know which bloody browswer they want?

Bloody retards...

and, if you haven't had enough: Bloody blood blood BLOODY HELL
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anthropoid wrote:Right Click My Computer 'Manage' not working :lol:
?

Easiest way to get to Computer Management, so was ticked when it stopped working... Was a registry problem.
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Another thing I have picked up. WIn7 does not pick up my external HDD. and also that 32bit is faster.
Thanks to Stuart
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

32 bit is faster?

What exactly is faster in 32 bit?

And then ask yourself, theoretically how can it be faster...
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

My apps open up faster. my boot time is faster. i wait like upto 10 seconds if i open multi apps in 64 where in 32 its under 3 seconds. and yes i have tested it.
Thanks to Stuart
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

AT LAST!! the keyboard shortcut i have been waitin so long for.....

Good news, keyboard-shortcut lovers! Windows 7 finally includes the ability to add new folders from the keyboard with a shortcut key combination.
SOURCE :D :D a WIN for windows.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Been using 7 for a couple of weeks now (thanks Stuart).
I must say I have been impressed.
Installation was pretty quick, but nothing amazing, took about 24min (whereas for XP it took about 30min).
Drivers all installed fine with no probs. With the exception of my Creative Audigy 2 card and my new 4770 ATI card.
For the sound card it just asked permission to connect to internet to loacte a better driver, which it did, downloaded and installed. No probs with sound now.
Gfx card however, it failed and never really got it right. It downloaded a driver for it but it never reported a 4770 card in device manager, always had a generic gfx card. I had to download the latest from AMD/ATI's site and it worked 100%.

I'm not very application heavy on my pc so haven't really tested it very hard in that respect.
All the software I have installed has worked cleanly with no probs. For anyone interested, the following apps are working fine:
Open Office 3.1
Skype (altho it had to download a small patch)
Canon printer software for an IP4600
Old label printing software
Nero 7
Paint Shop Pro 9.1
AVG 8.5 - free version (my Nod32 and Bitdefender are both not supported (apparently) but i haven't actually tried them yet)
Adobe Reader 9.1
World of Warcraft (most importantly)

Only strange thing I have spotted is as the desktop loads for the first time after a boot there is a little window that pops up that says something to do with the sound card and the registry but it goes away after about 2 seconds. And like i said above, sound is working fine so not sure what that's all about.

So far so good :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Please can someone get me a copy of windows 7? i live in CT(Retreat). work in Claremont. or if you live to far to meet me for it then mail it to me please.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

:(

Still using the beta, too lazy to download the RC and back up everything. Gah!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

RC 2 is out there AFAIK
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Skroppy

Post by Skroppy »

I've found it to be super stable. Didn't have to restart once at this month Organised Chaos in CT. Tha app management is superb. If one thing goes down, the rest of your stuff stays up and performs as if nothing is wrong. Cant really test its monitoring functions so nicely, as only one overclocking tool I have worked on it (EVGA Precision). Love the interface. Its pretty, and so NOT resource heavy. It's good. Would definitely buy full version IF i could get it for less than 2K.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

KillerByte wrote:RC 2 is out there AFAIK
Yup, latest build is 7260, but the RTM should be available soon so I'm holding out on downloading that one.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

ryanrich wrote:
KillerByte wrote:RC 2 is out there AFAIK
Yup, latest build is 7260, but the RTM should be available soon so I'm holding out on downloading that one.
ETA?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

No official date, but I'd say within the next 2 - 3 weeks, considering the final release date is October 22nd.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Shot, thanks.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Found DLs for build 7201 - got it over the weekend. Will DL RTM once its out and will buy Ultimate once it hits shelves. I love Win 7.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.