Combining a website with an on-line game?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Fireball

Combining a website with an on-line game?

Post by Fireball »

Hey Guys!

I'm no n00b to computers, but when it comes to web development, I'm stumped. I have no idea whether this sounds like a tall order, but please bear with me.

I want to create a website that has an online multi-player game on it. Players will set up their profile and then play against other players. The game will probably be flash or java, but I' m not sure which to take, since I have no knowledge of programming in either of them. So I will need a programmer to create the game.
Also, I want to make the game integrated into the website, not a separate download.

Now, here's the catch. I want players to be able to try the game for free, thereafter they have to pay to play it. So I need facilities to transfer money on the site, and I need encryption to keep the transfers secure.

That's about it. I have absolutely no idea how much it will cost to get this up and running.
Could you guys maybe give me an idea of what it would cost, and also if there are any good, preferably local, companies or freelancers who could make this a reality without bleeding me dry?

This is NOT a non-profit project, and I would be willing to pay for the following :
  • Design
  • Programming
  • Security
  • Hosting
By the way, I'm not in a huge hurry to get this off the ground. I'm going to keep doing my homework on this, but if you guys could maybe give me an idea of whats to come, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a billion,
Fireball out
When I was a small kid, we had quicksand in our sandbox. I was an only child...eventually.
  • Intel Core2Duo E2160 (1.80 GHz) @ 3.00 GHz (on Standard Air Cooling)
  • Asus P5K Mobo
  • 2 Gig Kingston 800 MHz RAM
  • Calibre Sparkle 8500GT (512mb DDR2) (Core = 420MHz @ 760 MHz, Mem = 300 MHz @ 410MHz)
  • 250 Gig SATAII HDD
  • Samsung 2253GW 22" LCD Monitor (1680 x 1050, 10000:1, 2ms)
Xiphan

Re: Combining a website with an on-line game?

Post by Xiphan »

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Combining a website with an on-line game?

Post by hamin_aus »

They only do online gambling.