Seduced by size

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
jee

Seduced by size

Post by jee »

With apologies to Dr. Seuss, "An iPod's an iPod no matter how small."

The original $99 iPod Shuffle, released in January 2005, was smaller than a pack of gum and held about 120 songs. Its successor 20 months later dwarfed that to a money clip, and doubled song capacity. It cost $79.

Now we have the talking $79 iPod Shuffle that Apple announced Wednesday. It is closer to a tie clasp and holds roughly 1,000 songs.
rest of the story
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Seduced by size

Post by GreyWolf »

maybe the title should be "induced (vomiting) by size"

Voice activated? Can you imagine this thing trying to look for a song by Xzibit? or nSync?

I guess only fools listen to that music, but then only fools would buy this piece of crap, so I guess they get what they deserve.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

In all honesty, I prefer the original iPod Shuffle (the 'gumstick' version). I think it's a the perfect size for an MP3 player.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

its not voice activated (from what i've read). It does have a voice over feature that tells you song, album, playlist etc tho. It is controlled by a "in cord" remote
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Monty wrote:its not voice activated (from what i've read). It does have a voice over feature that tells you song, album, playlist etc tho. It is controlled by a "in cord" remote
either way, how is it going to read the band names?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

GreyWolf wrote:
Monty wrote:its not voice activated (from what i've read). It does have a voice over feature that tells you song, album, playlist etc tho. It is controlled by a "in cord" remote
Just imagine it trying to read our local flavour:

Die Grafsteen Sangers, Kurt Darren, Juanita Du Plessis, 50 Beste Sokkie Treffers Ooit!

Now I REALLY want one!
Prime

Post by Prime »

GreyWolf wrote:
How do computers normally recite words? The exact same way. and for the really obscure names, its quite possible they could just pre record them
Prime

Post by Prime »

WiK1d wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:
Just imagine it trying to read our local flavour:

Die Grafsteen Sangers, Kurt Darren, Juanita Du Plessis, 50 Beste Sokkie Treffers Ooit!

Now I REALLY want one!
You realise that most of our local stuff does not show up in Itunes? or has this changed?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Voice or no voice, it's a SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

You're not supposed to give a rat's backside what's playing now or what's playing next. You should know your library.

I personally think it's freaking awesome. I'm not much of an iPod fan myself, but this Shuffle really appeals to me.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Voice or no voice, it's a SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

You're not supposed to give a rat's backside what's playing now or what's playing next. You should know your library.

I personally think it's freaking awesome. I'm not much of an iPod fan myself, but this Shuffle really appeals to me.
Agreed. I would get one but I don't like how the controls have to be part of the headphones
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

Agreed. I find this little thing awesome! I'm just worried that I might, errr, loose it. If you pair the shuffle with one of these and pop it in your backpack you're good to go.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Obviously Jee is not one for things in big sizes :twisted:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

WOnder how durable this lil thing is.I like to take my music players with me when i go for a skate and they end up getting smashed most of the time :lol: .
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

really? you can memorize a play list of 1000 songs? why are you not off doing more importnat stuff like curing cancer or finding a way of harnessing nuclear fusion?
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

really? you can memorize a play list of 1000 songs? why are you not off doing more importnat stuff like curing cancer or finding a way of harnessing nuclear fusion?
Don't be silly. You don't need to memorize a 1000 song playlist to use a shuffle properly. Maybe that's what YOU need in order to do so, but generally, that's overkill.

I'm not suggesting that you should know every last detail about every last song on your Shuffle, I'm saying that you should have an idea of what's on there, so that you can know what's playing.

Seriously, anyone who listens to music enough to buy an MP3 player knows enough about the 1000 songs on their MP3 player.

Stop trolling GW. Grow up dude.

Anyway, I'm pretty amped to see what these things cost when they hit our shores.

Some more pics:

Hmmm....

DreamStar

Post by DreamStar »

snap thats too small for me i would lose it so fast...I prefer the big daddy 160gig ipod the new ipod touch just to expensive for me.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

* IF YOU TRY THIS AGAIN IN ANY THREAD I WILL BAN YOUR &&S! NOW GO TO EACH THREAD THAT YOU ADD THAT IN AND REMOVE IT. I WILL CHECK LATER. - jee*
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

D3PART3D wrote:*removed*
Nice try
Last edited by Anakha56 on 02 Apr 2009, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed rickroll link
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Darn. :D
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I will be sure to acquire an iPod for myself. standing on an Archery Range at a FITA comp for two days at a time is a tad long without a nice playlist.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

How do you manage the sunlight?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Well you know lancelot I am a 24hour a day vamp. :D
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Seriously, anyone who listens to music enough to buy an MP3 player knows enough about the 1000 songs on their MP3 player.

Speaking as someone who does convert all my music to MP3 for easier access from my HDD, I am still surprised by what I find there sometimes, and that's with visual cues.

Maybe I am just not young enough to be jumping at any new frivolous gadget that comes to market. without considering all the angles.
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Seriously, anyone who listens to music enough to buy an MP3 player knows enough about the 1000 songs on their MP3 player.

Speaking as someone who does convert all my music to MP3 for easier access from my HDD, I am still surprised by what I find there sometimes, and that's with visual cues.

Maybe I am just not young enough to be jumping at any new frivolous gadget that comes to market. without considering all the angles.
LOL, so you are surprised by the MP3s you find on your HDD, yet you've physically bought, opened, and ripped them yourself? Not very observant, are you?
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

DarkStar wrote:In all honesty, I prefer the original iPod Shuffle (the 'gumstick' version). I think it's a the perfect size for an MP3 player.
Agreed.

SHUFFLE.

SHUFFLE.

I also agree with this.If you want to know what song is next, stop being a cheapskate and buy full bloody iPod classic.

Would anyone else concur with me that the new iPods are not as pretty or 'cool' as they used to be? Even the iPod classic isn't as good looking as the 5th gen iPod. The 1st generation nano was extremely cool with it's sleek design, the new one is meh.

That reminds me, I need a new battery for my 5th gen iPod.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(