Seduced by size

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Seduced by size

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KALSTER wrote:Maybe a stupid remark, but we all have cellphones and we keep them with us most of the time. Why not simply use it as a music device as well? To me, paying R1000+ for a shuffle is just a big waste of money. Rather buy a bigger microSD. What is the allure?
You can't go skateboarding with a R7K or R8K cell phone in your pocket, can you? Well, you can, but that would be stupid. Having this shuffle allows me to have music in my ears at an amazing sound quality, and not even know where on my body the Shuffle is actually located, without risking killing my phone.

Also, it's a fraction of the size, and a fraction of the cost of a phone. Seems pretty straight forward to me :)

Prime wrote:Dude! Any idea where she got it from and cost?
New World and Look & Listen sell it, and it goes for about R350-R400.

rustypup wrote:
KALSTER wrote:What is the allure?
*ahem*..

iPod

it's right there... how could you miss it... :roll:
Silly comment ;)

I'm no Apple fanboy at all, but I love my shuffle. It's an amazing little device. I use it every single day of my life.

KALSTER wrote:Isn't it a bit of a schlep to put your own mp3's onto it as I remember? Now you have to go and buy extra attachments as well just to get past Apple's monopolist greed.
It's no more complicated than putting those same MP3s on your phone. So, if by "extra attachments" you mean "the cable that come with the iPod", then yeah, sure. It's just an MP3 player ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You can't go skateboarding with a R7K or R8K cell phone in your pocket
Cool. So if I ever decide to take up skateboarding (or whatever else you kids do) I'll reconsider.
So, if by "extra attachments" you mean "the cable that come with the iPod", then yeah, sure. It's just an MP3 player
No dummy, I mean if you want to use your own earphones and such.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I think the shuffle is good (no, not awesome) - battery life from what I've heard is not top, and the fact that the controls have to be in line, and are not on the device bugs me greatly.

They should have made it a bit bigger (so they could put a larger battery and controls on the device).

But then again... If you were to use the shuffle for sport (which I would most likely do), It doesn't really need the longer battery life or controls on the device.

(Yes, I am in two minds about this device)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:I think the shuffle is good (no, not awesome) - battery life from what I've heard is not top, and the fact that the controls have to be in line, and are not on the device bugs me greatly.

They should have made it a bit bigger (so they could put a larger battery and controls on the device).

But then again... If you were to use the shuffle for sport (which I would most likely do), It doesn't really need the longer battery life or controls on the device.

Have you used one yet?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Prime wrote:
Monty wrote:I think the shuffle is good (no, not awesome) - battery life from what I've heard is not top, and the fact that the controls have to be in line, and are not on the device bugs me greatly.

Have you used one yet?
I played around with yours, remember :P
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Monty wrote: I am in two minds about this device)
iTunes... the primary reason for the fall of civilisation as we know it... one more support call for an iTunes infested machine and i start lopping heads off... <looks pointedly at marekting..>

Sansa Clip - the superior alternative - supports DRM but operates in USB mode as well, which means you have only to copy the file across from the source of your choosing and you're good to go with an amazing battery life... no need to install all that extraneous garbage... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

rustypup wrote:
iTunes... the primary reason for the fall of civilisation as we know it... one more support call for an iTunes infested machine and i start lopping heads off... <looks pointedly at marekting..>

Sansa Clip - the superior alternative - supports DRM but operates in USB mode as well, which means you have only to copy the file across from the source of your choosing and you're good to go with an amazing battery life... no need to install all that extraneous garbage... :wink:
I would remove my ears and all hearing organelles before I will willingly use iTunes.

Winamp!
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:
rustypup wrote:

I would remove my ears and all hearing organelles before I will willingly use iTunes.

Winamp!
Good luck on that endeavour (lose amp) :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KALSTER wrote:
Cool. So if I ever decide to take up skateboarding (or whatever else you kids do) I'll reconsider.
So, if by "extra attachments" you mean "the cable that come with the iPod", then yeah, sure. It's just an MP3 player
What's the matter with you? Is that necessary? Was I talking to you like you're an idiot?

KALSTER wrote:
1) I'm not a kid.
2) Skateboarding isn't restricted to kids.
3) Skateboarding was an example, genius. What about jogging, tennis, exercising, whatever?
4) You do that.

KALSTER wrote:
Maybe be a little clearer next time. Thanks.

Now grow up, dude. We're having a civilised conversation about a freaking MP3 player and you come in here talking as if you're a king. Get over yourself.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

What's the matter with you? Is that necessary? Was I talking to you like you're an idiot?

Maybe be a little clearer next time. Thanks.
Sheesh, aren't we touchy? I wasn't being rude. I was being facetious. Don’t you think you are overreacting a bit?

1) I'm not a kid.
2) Skateboarding isn't restricted to kids.
3) Skateboarding was an example, genius. What about jogging, tennis, exercising, whatever?
4) You do that.
I KNOW.
Now grow up, dude. We're having a civilised conversation about a freaking MP3 player and you come in here talking as if you're a king. Get over yourself.
Yes we were until you misinterpreted me completely. Are you expecting me to attack you for some reason? Why are you so on edge?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

KALSTER, how did he misinterpret you completely? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I interpreted your posts in what appears to be a similar manner to Dae's interpretation.
Last edited by Monty on 03 Mar 2010, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KALSTER wrote:I KNOW.
Apparently not.

KALSTER wrote:Yes we were until you misinterpreted me completely. Are you expecting me to attack you for some reason? Why are you so on edge?
So, you calling me a kid and a dummy was my misinterpretation? My mistake then.

I'm not on edge at all, actually :) I'm as happy as always :) I just don't like being spoken to as if I'm a 10 year old.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I'm not on edge at all, actually I'm as happy as always I just don't like being spoken to as if I'm a 10 year old.
Yes, you misinterpreted me, but it is apparently my fault and not yours. It seems the written word can not fully convey what the spoken word can. Like I said, I was being facetious, i.e. I was joking/teasing. Nothing malicious or condescending intended at all. I happen to think you are generally a pretty nice and talented guy. Know in future that I don't simply attack people over trivialities like this and I have never seen you write anything that would merit such an attack.

I guess this goes for you too Monty. :shock:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KALSTER wrote:

I'm not on edge at all, actually I'm as happy as always I just don't like being spoken to as if I'm a 10 year old.
Yes, you misinterpreted me, but it is apparently my fault and not yours. It seems the written word can not fully convey what the spoken word can. Like I said, I was being facetious, i.e. I was joking/teasing. Nothing malicious or condescending intended at all. I happen to think you are generally a pretty nice and talented guy. Know in future that I don't simply attack people over trivialities like this and I have never seen you write anything that would merit such an attack.

I guess this goes for you too Monty. :shock:
I didn't attack you. All I wanted was for you not to call me a child and a dummy. That's all.

Looking back at my post, I see that I certainly could have been less harsh about it, so I do apologise :)

By the way, you do know that in order for something to be facetious, there has to be a humorous or playful side to the statement, right? I didn't see any of that.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I didn't attack you. All I wanted was for you not to call me a child and a dummy. That's all.
I was talking about how you thought I was attacking you.
Looking back at my post, I see that I certainly could have been less harsh about it, so I do apologise
Too late. (I am joking :wink: )
By the way, you do know that in order for something to be facetious, there has to be a humorous or playful side to the statement, right? I didn't see any of that.
1) I have never seen anyone use the word "dummy" in a serious way. Nobody over 12 anyway.
2) I am 31 and I know you are something like 22 or something. I was making a joke at my own expense (because I am so old) when I used the phrase "you kids".

Seriously, no malicious intent.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Cool. No problems then :)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Cool. No problems then :)
Sweet. I am going to add a disclaimer to my signature now so I can point to it whenever I get misinterpreted again. :)
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote: iTunes... the primary reason for the fall of civilisation as we know it... one more support call for an iTunes infested machine and i start lopping heads off...
give this man a medal or something...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KALSTER wrote: I am going to add a disclaimer to my signature now so I can point to it whenever I get misinterpreted again. :)
I don't know if you're misinterpreted really often or not, but I think that this time it was just DJV (and Monty), so the disclaimer is unnecessary IMO. I've also never heard anyone use the word "dummy" seriously.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Prime

Post by Prime »

Prime

Post by Prime »

Apples Recalls Shuffle Headphones wrote:Apple has determined that the Apple Headphones with Remote included with the iPod shuffle (3rd gen) may fail under certain conditions. A very small percentage of iPod shuffle owners have experienced this issue. These headphones were included with the iPod shuffle (3rd generation) made between approximately February 2009 and February 2010.

If your headphones stop working or work intermittently as described below, Apple will replace them, free of charge, for two years from date of purchase.
Symptoms
Controls are non-responsive or work intermittently
Unexpected volume increase or decrease
Unexpected playing of voice feedback

Product Description
Apple Headphones with Remote - included with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).

Serial number ranges of the iPod shuffle with the covered headphones:
xx909xxxxxx to xx952xxxxxx
xx001xxxxxx to xx004xxxxxx

More info at the link
I shall be taking mine in next weekend or sooner if possible. :mrgreen:

http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/locator/map ... Country=ZA
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yep, I took mine in already, and they actually notified me a few days ago that I collect, but I forgot :P Thanks for the reminder :P
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yep, I took mine in already, and they actually notified me a few days ago that I collect, but I forgot :P Thanks for the reminder :P
:lol:

Monty pointed it out to me the other day.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Prime wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yep, I took mine in already, and they actually notified me a few days ago that I collect, but I forgot :P Thanks for the reminder :P

I'll accept my highly caffeinated payment next time I'm over :P
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:
Prime wrote:

I'll accept my highly caffeinated payment next time I'm over :P
With Pleasure :lol: