Seduced by size

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Seduced by size

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Frozenfireside wrote:I also agree with this.If you want to know what song is next, stop being a cheapskate and buy full bloody iPod classic.
Yep. Easy solution.

Frozenfireside wrote:Would anyone else concur with me that the new iPods are not as pretty or 'cool' as they used to be? Even the iPod classic isn't as good looking as the 5th gen iPod. The 1st generation nano was extremely cool with it's sleek design, the new one is meh.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, personal preference, of course.

My girlfriend has an 80GB Classic, 6th Gen, and it's really nice (aesthetically). I think it's far prettier than the older iPods. The nanos too - Mike's brother has one of the new nanos, a 16GB model, and it's so so tiny. It's a little tall, but it's very thin. The older nanos (first gen) were considerably bulkier. The last series of nanos were just stupid IMO. That small square shape wasn't very attractive at all.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:LOL, so you are surprised by the MP3s you find on your HDD, yet you've physically bought, opened, and ripped them yourself? Not very observant, are you?
Come talk to me when you have been collecting CDs for 10+ years...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:LOL, so you are surprised by the MP3s you find on your HDD, yet you've physically bought, opened, and ripped them yourself? Not very observant, are you?
*starts counting fingers*

carry the four... um...

*counts more fingers*

Yeah, okay, I'm pretty sure that that's what I'm doing now.

I didn't only start listening to music when I was 18 Greywolf.

Anyway, this is a stupid debate to be having with you, since you've always responded negatively to just about everything I've ever said. So I'm wasting my time. All I'm saying is that what YOU'RE saying doesn't make sense to me. That's all.
jee

Post by jee »

GreyWolf wrote:
mind, talk to me when you have been collecting music for 45 years, some ripped from your records (the proper ones!) and has a child who buys her own music who rips them on your pc and for use on an iPod. Particularly when a quarter of the music are classical overtures and whot-nots.

That could make this small piece of equipment (that is guaranteed to disappear in my handbag) a novelty, but not a necessity.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Anyway, this is a stupid debate to be having with you, since you've always responded negatively to just about everything I've ever said. So I'm wasting my time. All I'm saying is that what YOU'RE saying doesn't make sense to me. That's all.
Funny enough, that's exactly what I was saying, but I don't have to resort to calling someone a troll, or telling them to grow up in the process...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So I saw these shuffles at Look & Listen in Menlyn this evening. The have the black and silver versions, 4G, for R1099.

I love how small they are... oh man. I MUST have one. Pair it up with some SkullCandy in-ears and you'll be happy :D
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

technophile :P
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahahah :P

I just found them on ebay for $55, free shipping...

EDIT: Ai. I really wanted one of these, but, you have to use the earphones that come with the shuffle (which suck), or you have to use special third party earphones, which are likely to cost more than the shuffle itself.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So my girlfriend bought me a shuffle for my birthday yesterday :D It's freaking incredible. The earphones aren't NEARLY as bad as I was expecting (I was expecting the quality I got from the earphones that came with my previous iPod). If you guys are keen, I can review it for you?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Sure do a review with l33t photos, it will be awesome to get a S.A review of them ;). One question though are the earphones the one size fits all type? If so then its useless for me, my ears are smaller than the norm...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Anakha56, you can get adaptors to convert ipod earphones to buds. Griffin makes them.
Prime

Post by Prime »

*Rolls a concentration check*

Ooo look, its a natural 20

*casts a Raise Dead spell*

So I was given one of these today :scratch:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/news/ ... phones-/p1
Further digging itself into a hole following the ill-thought out new iPod shuffle is talk of some quite simply mind blowing selfishness. Emerging from boingboing, it seems the crazy decision to remove controls from the player itself and put them onto the earphones had another major motivation: cash.

Apple may yet refute this but it is looking increasingly likely it has implemented an 'authentication chip' into the new inline earphones so that only earphones certified by the company can be used with the player. Consequently no pre-existing inline headphone control adaptors are said to work and the cost of making Apple certified earphones will then inevitably have to be passed onto the end user.
So, not only can I not use my curent sony MDR-EX51's, but I now have to find an apple approved pair of in ear phones :x
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Or, you could buy a $19 adapter and use whatever earphones you like :)

I'm still loving my shuffle :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Or, you could buy a $19 adapter and use whatever earphones you like :)

I'm still loving my shuffle :D
oh awesome :)

I shall do.

Edit: though, thats 19 dollars on top of a set of headphones :x
Last edited by Prime on 20 Jul 2009, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ok, I am impressed by the sound, it sounds better than my nano.

Controls are a little complex. Apple should have made it that the volume knobs work forward and back if you hold them down because volume only works if you sequentially click the buttons. :?

I do see a distinct lack of headphones being made specifically for the third gen shuffle, so I'll be keen to see if this lasts to generation 4 or gets dumped like the nano 3 changes :?:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ok, so I switch on my ipod shuffle this am, my left earphone sounds like its farked and the mode button refuses to work, it stays on. I don't know if this is the battery or if it is faulty. Anyone else experienced this?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

*Comment from the peanut gallery* I love my ipod Nano - and the headphones are not bad. Just got Philips Extra Bass in ear phones - will let you know if they are better.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:Ok, so I switch on my ipod shuffle this am, my left earphone sounds like its farked and the mode button refuses to work, it stays on. I don't know if this is the battery or if it is faulty. Anyone else experienced this?
Not me, but then again, I got rid of those rubbish iPod earphones. My girlfriend bought me one of those Scosche shuffle cases that allow you to use any headphones, like this:

I paired that bad boy up with a pair of SkullCandy in-ears and now I'm in heaven :P
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:Ok, so I switch on my ipod shuffle this am, my left earphone sounds like its farked and the mode button refuses to work, it stays on. I don't know if this is the battery or if it is faulty. Anyone else experienced this?
Not me, but then again, I got rid of those rubbish iPod earphones. My girlfriend bought me one of those Scosche shuffle cases that allow you to use any headphones, like this:

I paired that bad boy up with a pair of SkullCandy in-ears and now I'm in heaven :P
Dude! Any idea where she got it from and cost?
Last edited by Prime on 02 Mar 2010, 12:59, edited 2 times in total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Maybe a stupid remark, but we all have cellphones and we keep them with us most of the time. Why not simply use it as a music device as well? To me, paying R1000+ for a shuffle is just a big waste of money. Rather buy a bigger microSD. What is the allure?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:What is the allure?
*ahem*..

iPod

it's right there... how could you miss it... :roll:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:Maybe a stupid remark, but we all have cellphones and we keep them with us most of the time. Why not simply use it as a music device as well? To me, paying R1000+ for a shuffle is just a big waste of money. Rather buy a bigger microSD. What is the allure?
I was given my shuffle. :P

Besides, I found that music killed my phone battery faster.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I was given my shuffle.
Can't argue with that. :wink:
True, but by how much? Does it die before the day is up?
*ahem*..

iPod

it's right there... how could you miss it...
I already knew why you love them Rusty. :P (or did I just confuse you with RyanRich :shock: ) I am appealing to practicality here. Isn't it a bit of a schlep to put your own mp3's onto it as I remember? Now you have to go and buy extra attachments as well just to get past Apple's monopolist greed.

Anyway, these are just my reasons why I probably will never buy one. You are of course free to do as you please. I too own some stuff mostly due to their coolness level. :wink:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:
I was given my shuffle.
Can't argue with that. :wink:
True, but by how much? Does it die before the day is up?
*ahem*..

iPod

it's right there... how could you miss it...
I already knew why you love them Rusty. :P (or did I just confuse you with RyanRich :shock: ) I am appealing to practicality here. Isn't it a bit of a schlep to put your own mp3's onto it as I remember? Now you have to go and buy extra attachments as well just to get past Apple's monopolist greed.

Anyway, these are just my reasons why I probably will never buy one. You are of course free to do as you please. I too own some stuff mostly due to their coolness level. :wink:

I have had a discman, Iriver, fancier discman and I now have a shuffle and nano.

I bought my nano when my discman became unreliable - I could not get new batteries for it. Frankly, I'd go back to my discman. I think it has the best sound quality. Followed by my iriver. My Iriver is just way to small at 128 megs.

And then I got a phone that could play music. I found that using it for that was just as much hassle as using my ipod. I own most of my cd's and plan on legalising the rest when I have the money.

Frankly, the range of accessories makes ipods appealing. From covers, to docks to gadgets.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I have had a discman, Iriver, fancier discman and I now have a shuffle and nano.

I bought my nano when my discman became unreliable - I could not get new batteries for it. Frankly, I'd go back to my discman. I think it has the best sound quality. Followed by my iriver. My Iriver is just way to small at 128 megs.

And then I got a phone that could play music. I found that using it for that was just as much hassle as using my ipod. I own most of my cd's and plan on legalising the rest when I have the money.

Frankly, the range of accessories makes ipods appealing. From covers, to docks to gadgets.
Fair enough. I still won't buy one, but thats just me. FYI one of my favourite things growing up was my cassette walkman ( I had one or two legit albums, while most of the rest were recorded off of 5FM :) ). I guess it also depends on how often you would use it for it to make sense.