Pc restarts when Xp starts to load

Any hardware related topics go here.
smokinbarrels

Pc restarts when Xp starts to load

Post by smokinbarrels »

This is one of my work pc's. I built the pc into another chassis,and everything was working fine before. But now since it's in another chassis, the pc starts up, but reboots while xp is loading. The xp loading screen comes up, and then it reboots. I've tried going into safe mode, but no luck. I've tried chkdsk, but no luck. This is a pc that can not be re-installed for software reasons. Please help.
Ps. when you try safe mode, the last line it shows is ...../driver/mup.sys
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
3Gb DDR2 800
Geforce 9800GT 512Mb
1 x 1TB Seagate Hdd
1 x 320Gb Seagate Hdd
2 x Samsung 22x DVD/RW
LG Flatron W17
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Pc restarts when Xp starts to load

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Recovery console for anyone :?:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

The only difference in the chassis is either the P/supply (assuming it's also changed) and any Front Panel connecters. Unplug them all and see what happens. Then just check anything lose, remove RAM, clean slots and chips and try again, check all drive jumpers and cables that are are correctly setup.

Last resort and safest option is to repair windows. Not a format and re-load. If he has Pro, stick in the XP Pro CD and boot from it. First screen press <ENTER> to setup Windows, then press <f8> to agree to license, then it will search for previously installed windows and if you got the same version CD in it will detect yours and give you an option to repair by pressing <R>
A repair wil keep all data and programs intact and working, it just re-installs all system files and sorts out any boot problems.

*edit* I'm not calling you stupid but check your Keyboard and Mouse are plugged in correctly, if they're swapped around it will do what it's doing now. :wink:
Last edited by Synthesis on 11 Mar 2009, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

also check that you dont have any standoffs shortening the motherboard and if you have a graphics card check that its installed correctly.
an00bis

Post by an00bis »

tap F8 while the PC is starting, the should be an option to not restart upon crashing and show you a BSOD with a vague description of the problem...

silly question I know, but I have to ask, when you say you rebuilt into a new chassis, did you move all the hardware, including the motherboard ?
smokinbarrels

Post by smokinbarrels »

It's all the same pc, exept for the chassis. There's no shorts & I've done this a hundred times before.
I can't do a repair installation, 'cause I don't have the xp disk they used to install it. They call it a truelog system. It records voice calls. I might have forgotton to mention that the reason I built it into another chassis is becuase the psu was giving some problems. So I built it into another chassis with a new psu. Why not just change the psu in the old chassis, it was ugly (the chassis). The last time the pc was "shut down" in the old chassis, it might not have been shut down properly, as I said, the psu was giving problems. Before xp starts to load, it gives you the screen where you can choose safe mode etc. And what ever you choose, it shows the xp loading screen for about 5 sec, and then reboots. If I can only get it to boot into xp again
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
3Gb DDR2 800
Geforce 9800GT 512Mb
1 x 1TB Seagate Hdd
1 x 320Gb Seagate Hdd
2 x Samsung 22x DVD/RW
LG Flatron W17
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Just get a boot disk with scandisk on it or something like that. Had the same problem with a 2003 server last night. Ended up at 04h00 this morning that I got it fixed after a decent disk scan. And this is on brand new hardware so it is actually puzzling.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
smokinbarrels

Post by smokinbarrels »

I did chkdsk. That did not solve it. I tried to boot with my Ubcd as well, it booted into "windows",and froze up.
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
3Gb DDR2 800
Geforce 9800GT 512Mb
1 x 1TB Seagate Hdd
1 x 320Gb Seagate Hdd
2 x Samsung 22x DVD/RW
LG Flatron W17
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Sounds like a hardware problem
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
smokinbarrels

Post by smokinbarrels »

I've tried other ram, and another mobo,which is exactly the same mobo's. Otherwise, there is no other hardware. No graphics cards or nothing. It's just a mobo, dvd rw, 320gb Seagate hdd, 1gb Kingmax DDR2 ram, a chassis and a 400w PSU. I've tried the fix at this link, and it did not work. http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
3Gb DDR2 800
Geforce 9800GT 512Mb
1 x 1TB Seagate Hdd
1 x 320Gb Seagate Hdd
2 x Samsung 22x DVD/RW
LG Flatron W17
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate
SmileX

Post by SmileX »

The xp loading screen comes up, and then it reboots. I've tried going into safe mode, but no luck. I've tried chkdsk, but no luck. This is a pc that can not be re-installed for software reasons. Please help.
Ps. when you try safe mode, the last line it shows is ...../driver/mup.sys
I had the same problem no less than a week ago. at the end of the safe mode try the line " ../driver/mup.sys" came up and then the line " error loading xmusbus.sys" . I tried every thing, mem swop, new PSU, even updating BIOS. nothing. then tried the same hdd in completely different pc. Exactly the same problem... See where this is going. The HDD was damaged or windows just decided to crash completely. When I tried safe mode, after maybe the 3rd time, I got the "blue screen of death" with allot of useless info exept - I read that "in plain english", windows could not load the registry. I then tried a new hdd and new windows XP installation and it is up and running again with the origanal hdd as slave for data retrieval. will try to use that hdd as master in future as soon as all data is backed up on dvd's.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Do you have any Linux Live CD's? If so, just boot up with live cd and see if it gets into the OS. If you're able to log into Linux and use it without freezing/crashing, then it is safe to assume your hardware is fine.....
an00bis

Post by an00bis »

press f8 while starting up to get to the startup options, select that one option that says don't restart if there's an error, the BSOD should give you an Idea of what's wrong(maybe an error code you could google)
SmileX

Post by SmileX »

I did leave a reply before and said that it was my Hdd that was faulty. When you replace the HDD it will fix the problem but only for "x" amount of time. The real problem was and for time being is a VIRUS. I bought a virus application and fund several viruses on my laptop that my previous virus application did not find. I will soon install the other pc's hdd in an external casing and scan it. I was using AVAST 4.8 Home free version and it does not find all viruses. Norton 2009 builder edition costs about R700 but it is worth it. I will let you know the name of the virus that is causing the reboot constantly.
an00bis

Post by an00bis »

lol, sorry dude, I haven't been hit by a virus in such a long time I hadn't even considered it to be a possibility