Wasting paper

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
richardhb

Wasting paper

Post by richardhb »

Perhaps if the publishers and editors of the mag. took a long hard look at the waste of space taken up by exaggeratedly large headlines and diagrams and reduced them they might be able to actually increase the good stuff.

For example in the latest edition the article on Future of the Internet wastes almost a page and a half of the first two pages with a pretty meaningless schematic, if that's the right word for it. Then the diagrams showing the configuration were presumably blown up to fill the page. The whole article could easily have been put on a single page.

Likewise the history of the CPU, apart from being a waste of space for most readers who probably know it all anyway, and in any case would be more appropriate in a "PC for beginners" type magazine, also wasted a lot of space with graphics.

As for the Download, Memes feature, total toilet paper!

I've been buying the mag. for years. I pay a premium since I'm not a gamer and don't even bother to read those pages but rather concentrate on the technical articles, Lately the whole format of it is starting to get under my skin particularly taking into account the horrendous price that it has reached.

Surely someone must realise that the spread of the articles, from the idot type, like Download, to the totally out of reach of most people "Game coding" (not to mention some of the puerile humour), is going to start alienating a lot of the readers.

What happened to the good, solid articles, which appealed to the middle 80% of computer users, leaving out the 10% of computer idiots at the bottom and the 10% computer savants at the top?

And if you think I'm moaning - you're quite right, even the cover girl is nothing like up to the old standard!
Prime

Re: Wasting paper

Post by Prime »

:roll:

Dude, have you ever tried to compile any sort of magazine? Layout can be a five letter word. :|

Besides, the Histoy of the CPU is interesting to alot of the younger readers. I grew up on 486's and P1's. I have a bookshelf of chips from them. But I guess the CPU stuff is not a technical Article? :?

BTW, You are not moaning, you are whining. :roll:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/moaning wrote:moan (mn)
  • n.
      • a. A low, sustained, mournful cry, usually indicative of sorrow or pain.
        b. A similar sound: the eerie moan of the night wind.
      2. Lamentation.
    v. moaned, moan·ing, moans
    v.intr.
      • a. To utter a moan or moans.
        b. To make a sound resembling a moan: A saxophone moaned in the background.
      2. To complain, lament, or grieve: an old man who still moans about his misspent youth.
    v.tr.
    • 1. To bewail or bemoan: She moaned her misfortunes to anyone who would listen.
      2. To utter with moans or a moan.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Whining wrote:
  • whine
    Noun
    • 1. a long high-pitched plaintive cry or moan
      2. a peevish complaint
    Verb
    [whining, whined]
    • 1. to whinge or complain
      2. to issue a long high-pitched moan [Old English hwīnan]
:roll:

You don't pay a premium, you pay the same price as the rest of us. :|

I'll let someone else pick on your spelling and grammar. :evil5:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

richardhb, it is my supposition that you think the humour puerile because you are not au fait with the internet and the memetic yet had-to-be-there style of humour which has become so pervasive on it in recent years. Why I am sure you even have no idea what a lolcat is, or which day is Caturday. Perhaps you are a conservative elderly chap who has been computer literate (if not savvy) since the days of punch cards and mainframes...

By not reading the gaming articles, you skip over probably a third of each magazines content. Do you not like games? Even an eldery gent - which I assume you to be - should game. Perhaps they could do an article on minesweeper strategy for you?

On that note, you failed to mention what you would like to see more of. You made vague reference to "the good, solid articles, which appealed to the middle 80% of computer users". What did you mean by that? Be specific.
If you want to have more content that you enjoy included in the mag, consider telling the editor and staff exactly what you want to see more of.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of the magazines readers are probably familiar with the humour and the articles should appeal to them. You can't please all the people all the time, so naturally a persons overall impression of the mag will change from month-to-month, but PCF is, in my opinion, aiming the content and layout at their target demographic: young men (and possibly women) who use the internet, enjoy gaming and like to keep abreast of all the new PC hardware and accessories that come out.
Which is not to say that someone who does not necessarily like these things wont still enjoy the mag.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:you failed to mention what you would like to see more of.

i disagree... richardhb was very clear on what it is he would love to see more of...
richardhb wrote:even the cover girl is nothing like up to the old standard!
how... banal... :|

@ richardhb, as a welcome to the forums, the preceding posts are going to be pretty standard fare if your very first post happens to be aimed at slagging off the PCF mag... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
fbman

Post by fbman »

I too am not really a gamer and only buy PCFormat for the techie articles which I think are very well written and informative. I actually have not looked at my cover disc for the last three issues.

As for the history of ... articles. I find them interesting and even though I started out using XT and 286's, its fun to read them and I remember the good old days of computing. - The days of the DOS prompt :-)

I remember when they had the history of sound cards, I actually owned an Adlib sound card lol

But I do agree with this statement

As for the Download, Memes feature, total toilet paper! <-- I agree with that
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Post by Drakonis »

richardhb, it seems like you were not really expecting your post to get as far as the PCF staff from the way you just threw it out there. Nab (PCF's Ed) has read it and taken note and will most likely make a post in this thread once we get off deadline for a few minutes.

To address some of what you brought up (bear in mind that this is in no way official policy, just how I see things), we could chuck the design and layout elements in the interests of more content but then we may as well pack in the mag and go print a 1500 page textbook (or Talisman as Luis calls them). These design elements are pretty essential to PCF is what I'm trying to say. Even just reducing the size of headlines would impact that.

Your content concerns have been noted but, as a few of the forumites have said, if you can detail what you are looking for, we may be able to help on that score. A few specifics would be handy.

I won't be blasting you about disliking the Memes feature, we're well aware that it won't appeal to everyone which is why it won't get bigger than it already is (2-4 pages). However, the response to it has been predominately positive so we'll be keeping it. For Jamin.

I don't need to mention the cover girl issue, that has been going for years and nothing we say will derail that debate.

We cannot tailor the magazine to suit only you but we do try accommodate everyone. So, mail the PCF staff or post something here and let us know what you want to see. The other guys on the forum will tell you that we do listen to what they have to say (anyone remember our brief stint with informal language that you guys brought to a halt?).

With that in mind, keep posting. We're alway keen to hear from readers, about anything.
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

it is my supposition that you think the humour puerile because you are not au fait with the internet and the memetic yet had-to-be-there style of humour which has become so pervasive on it in recent years. Why I am sure you even have no idea what a lolcat is, or which day is Caturday. Perhaps you are a conservative elderly chap who has been computer literate (if not savvy) since the days of punch cards and mainframes...
What's wrong with a conservative, elderly chap you moron? Who cares what the heck Caturday is, or for that matter a lolcat? I want to see to see articles about retro gaming and by that I mean proper ones like we used to have. I want to see articles on how to put vinyl on DVD, how to put 8mm on DVD and braai recipes. I want to know how to make pancakes at LANS and how to set up a wireless network effortlessly. I want to know why computers are so stupid and why Louis thinks he is the gift of the age to all who ask him (stupidly) for help. I want to know why the PCF staff never visit Cape Town but go to Moscow? I long for the day when a prize is given to a letter that actually deserves it, not some sycophantic butt wipe. Most of all, I want Marilyn Munroe on the cover. :mrgreen:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:why Louis thinks he is the gift of the age to all who ask him (stupidly) for help.
lancelot wrote:I long for the day when a prize is given to a letter that actually deserves it, not some sycophantic butt wipe.
excellent points...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

We will discuss this further next week! :twisted:
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

lancelot wrote: What's wrong with a conservative, elderly chap you moron? Who cares what the heck Caturday is, or for that matter a lolcat? I want to see to see articles about retro gaming and by that I mean proper ones like we used to have. I want to see articles on how to put vinyl on DVD, how to put 8mm on DVD and braai recipes. I want to know how to make pancakes at LANS and how to set up a wireless network effortlessly. I want to know why computers are so stupid and why Louis thinks he is the gift of the age to all who ask him (stupidly) for help. I want to know why the PCF staff never visit Cape Town but go to Moscow? I long for the day when a prize is given to a letter that actually deserves it, not some sycophantic butt wipe. Most of all, I want Marilyn Munroe on the cover. :mrgreen:
And that is how one states what they want from the magazine. Thanks. :)
We're working on getting the PCF staff to Cape Town at some point as well as a few other locations around the country, by the way. We'll keep you posted. :mrgreen:
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Greetings all. I think y'all be posting in a troll thread, but just in case I will respond anyways.

Truth be told there is a lot more to a magazine layout than pic to word ratios. There is a fundamental difference between print and other media and without going into a long analysis of communication techniques, the long and short is as follows:

Print is permanent and needs to a value proposition for readers. There are infinite sites with all the hardcore info and they inevitably scoop us on many things. We therefore need to offer our readers more. We need to be first and foremost something of value. We try to infuse the info with a sexy layout, we try to add humour and insight and finally we try to be the banner of a community. We need/want to be so much more than just words and info.

We really do care about the work we do and it is crushing to be slated but unfortunately for you, the changes I have made with help of the community are paying off. We have picked up more readers, we have a happier online community, a vastly improved cover disc and we are going to go live with a kick-bottom website soon.

tl:dr - We are here, we listen, we improve. Quit trolling and mail us rather than try turning our community against us, they do that on their own

Uncle Lance:
Jan - History of the FPS
Feb - History of driving games
March - history of Interactive Movies
April - History of Sim and god games plus a feature by yours truly on the graphics cards of the day and the games that made them.

I will look into the letter winners, I think what's missing from the logic is the extensive editing that takes place before they are published. I do take of points for incoherency and molestation of the English language

I am writing the rest off to spam with the exception of Moscow versus CT : One is a city full of partially brainwashed, old fashioned monoliths trying to catch up with modern society, the other is full of Russians :mrgreen: JK, we'll be there as soon as possible!
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
jee

Post by jee »

As a reader of pcf (and NAG, and SACM, and .Net, and Intelligence and a slew who went the way of the elderly gentleman ;)) since pa fell off the TARDIS,) I have noted the change in the mags just as change happens to the world around us.

I have been disappointed when the more informative mags folded, being left with over clocking and games, but still kept reading - because knowledge is power. The current PC Format, on RECYCLED paper (whoohooo!) has an arty look, articles that i appreciate, find interesting and not only read, but share with my staff. (no, i do NOT read Luis - what an abomination! :()

I believe (as it was said earlier) that there is no way to please everybody all the time - but pleasing some people some of the time - what a winner :) Thanks for the history articles, the memes and the change in cover pages (Now, where is the hunk!) and if you add an anime page, you will make me a very happy woman!

Fact is, change is inevitable - and without change stagnation creates death.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Deep jee, very deep! Bring me some Belgium chocolate, OK? Nab, you will fel my lance, my boy! :P
richardhb

Post by richardhb »

Ok I’ve read the replies that my post generated and I’d like to comment on some of the points raised but first let me say that I have been reading PCF ever since it was first published and I doubt if I’ve missed one issue. I may not have bought them all because our local library gets a copy and in my impecunious past I have been there to read the mag. But I do remember the early days when I waited with anticipation to get the new program CD to be able to add to my meager CD collection.

Secondly what I used to feel I got out of PCF was value for time – not money – and the time was how long it took me to read it. The value was thinking – “hey, that’s interesting”, “I’d like to try and do that”, “ that’s the problem and how to solve it’ or , more often, “I want one of those but I’ll never be able to afford it!”.

Just lately I don’t get this feeling.

The cost of PCF has also soared which aggravates this. Using ‘recycled paper’ may be the green thing to do but it also puts it alongside magazines such as Computer Active and far away from the presentation quality of SACM. Possibly the later comparison is a bit invidious since SACM appears to have a higher proportion of advertising which may be the reason the cover price is down at R30 or so, admittedly for 10% less pages.

My original proposition was that, if content had to be lost to cut down on expenses, and maybe I assumed incorrectly, that it was the production costs not the costs of getting articles written, then decreasing the size of some of the large headings or diagrams might allow for more content. I also commented on the fact that some of the articles may not be as popular to justify the space they take up. Apart from one comment on ‘had I ever compiled a magazine’ and Nab’s comment on what a layout is nobody seems to be bothered with headings taking up a lot of space.

The articles I would like to see more of would be software applications (not a ‘how to use’ but what was available e.g. simple avi editing programs), ‘how its done’ e,g, Bit Torrent and ‘how to do it’ e.g. as lancelot mentioned, setting up a wireless network (not the simple stuff but the more complicated security set up etc.)

Now I know that Bit Torrent was covered in this latest issue and, as far as I am concerned could have included a lot more interesting detail, although admittedly the author did say that the explanation was “probably incomplete”. If he thought that, then why so much extraneous humour? He could have cut some out and put in what was missing in the space freed up.

As to the history articles, be they hardware or software orientated, if it is felt that the readers enjoy these, and it looks from Nab’s posting that you have more coming down the track, then I’d suggest that some “blasts from the past” (and I don’t mean the recent PC past but the real computer past) are also included. Some of the systems that were designed and used years ago were way in advance of their time. For example, the infra red light link used to connect two segments of a LAN across the road on the way to Jan Smuts (as it was then).

Jee commented on Louis and I tend to agree. I used to enjoy his replies as I found them quite informative but just lately he seems to be going overboard on his acidic humour. I imagine this is an article picked up from the overseas version of PCF so there is not much local control that can be applied.

jamin_za hit the nail on the head in saying I am a conservative elderly chap - but I predate punch cards. My idea of heaven, when I started in computers, was a teleprinter which printed payslips with the alignment correct and where one of the diagnostic tools we used was going and hitting circuit boards one at a time to see which one, when hit, changed the pattern of lights on the console indicating that board’s nickel delay line was faulty.

Finally I don’t do gaming because I don’t need to – I have two teenage daughters!
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

I think I'll let Nab get back to you on this post but thanks for the specifics. Much appreciated.
Speaking as the one who wrote the BitTorrent piece though, it is not meant to be taken seriously. Much of the content there is accurate but will also play with common misconceptions in the IT world. If we run something serious on a similar subject, we'd probably take up 3-5 pages and still not scratch the surface of how it works. A half page is far from enough to do it (or anything) justice.
richardhb wrote:Finally I don’t do gaming because I don’t need to – I have two teenage daughters!
I'm guessing you've spent very little time on the forums. If this was posted in the Ward, jamin would've had a field day with it.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Just one comment to add in here. As an environmental consultant I completely advocate the use of recycled paper in the production of the mag. In no way does this reduce the quality of the publication or make it inferior to glossy mags. If you guys only see how much waste is produced daily in this country...
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

As far as I am aware (from what I have been told) the recycled pages are a tad more expensive than the regular pages. As a company we are concerned about such things as our carbon footprint.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

So you only dump in the forest?
jee

Post by jee »

I for one loved the bit-torrent article - One of the guidelines for our Cybers is to make sure no torrents are allowed - i have been trying to explain to my staff about it, and after reading the article (and probably because it was fun) they have a better understanding.

One might never know what impact one article may make on people. I can assure you there are many out there whose opinion never appear in writing or on the forum ;)

Jonboy - perhaps you want to start a post regarding the environmental impact (and possible policy points) the disposal of computer and other ICT equipment have on Gaia? It will make an interesting topic.

Yes, recycled paper is more expensive... BUT it is a necessity :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

lancelot wrote:So you only dump in the forest?
Actually, we have him house-trained now... :roll:

jee, its good to know that bit-torrent bit actually had some value. It was never supposed to have any but I'm glad it found a purpose. :)

The recycled paper serves another purpose for us. Many people who read PCF will read it under artificial lighting and the recycled paper tends to not reflect so much of that light. A minor point but I just had to throw it out there.
jee

Post by jee »

There is also a different feel and smell when you use recycled paper. It just soothes the soul so much more than gloss :D
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Drakonis wrote:
richardhb wrote:Finally I don’t do gaming because I don’t need to – I have two teenage daughters!
I'm guessing you've spent very little time on the forums. If this was posted in the Ward, jamin would've had a field day with it.
You truly think our own resident JZ need this to be in the ward to spam it? :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Mshini-wam...