SA companies launch rival GMail.co.za

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Telecoms/6870.html

Local free email service will offer 10GB storage to users.

South African company Webmail has teamed up with partner Gardale Solutions to launch GMail.co.za. Webmail already has over 800 000 registered webmail accounts.

GMail.co.za will offer users 10GB of storage space, free VoIP calls between users, an online chat service, as well as filesharing and fax-to-email services.

Gardale Solutions has owned the GMail.co.za domain name since 2003, well before Google decided to launch its GMail service.

The local Gmail service will be offered as a free service and Gardale will support its use through advertising. Webmail's marketing and business development director, Dennis Armstrong says that the companies "intend keeping the revenue derived from advertising on this product to continue with development and with the aim of going mobile by mid-year. This will allow more users the opportunity to access this service via their mobile phones."
To bad they cant make it look as nice as gmail.com
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: SA companies launch rival GMail.co.za

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sounds like a great service, but they really need to use a different domain, and give the service a different name. Nobody cares that these guys have owned the gmail.co.za domain since before Google launched Gmail; the point is that Google launched their service first.

But hey, 10GB of local storage, sounds fantastic.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote: To bad they cant make it look as nice as gmail.com
+1
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Erm... why would I want to switch over? My experiences of Webmail are far from pleasant.

EDIT: And I notice the good folks over on myBB are picking them apart. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Ron2K wrote:Erm... why would I want to switch over? My experiences of Webmail are far from pleasant.
fully agree. i still have webmail. and the ads a completely off putting. hate the layout. and the space sux. are the existing webmail users ganna get their accounts converted to 10GB also?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i went to GMail because of all the ads on webmail.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I use gmail as one my main accounts but can't last remember when I logged onto webmail. I use it in Outlook as a standard account because it's much faster and more reliable than my standard emails. It's the only one I trust with sending and receiving immediately without delays.
I'll sign up with the gmail.co.za and if they support POP then cool, why not?
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

Oh wonderful!

Thanks to these idiots, The Real Gmail won't readily be able to set up a local mirror.

I'm sorry, but "gmail.co.za" is just retarded, in much the same way fake Nikes are retarded.
Mow

Post by Mow »

Google can buy them out if they want . They are greedy little pigs and all greedy little pigs have a price.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Mow wrote:Google can buy them out if they want . They are greedy little pigs and all greedy little pigs have a price.
I think that that is the whole scenario behind this, looking for a fast buck from Google.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

If that is the case, they were really, really good at anticipating the domain name of Google email service, since they were registered before gmail.com existed
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

DeathStrike wrote:
Ron2K wrote:Erm... why would I want to switch over? My experiences of Webmail are far from pleasant.
fully agree. i still have webmail. and the ads a completely off putting. hate the layout. and the space sux. are the existing webmail users ganna get their accounts converted to 10GB also?
Maybe but your email address will change from Whatever@Webmail.co.za to Whatever@Gmail.co.za
Unless they are kind enough to set up an alias.

Its fake, and stupid get your self a real gmail account.

People should create them seleves a few 100 accounts and and waste their space.
Mow

Post by Mow »

lancelot,

Fortunately , i think the guys in charge at google hq have a special way to deal with companies like these.

Isnt this a violation of trademark ?
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Mow, Don't think so, like the article says, they owned the domain name before google launched gmail, so I would think when it comes to .za google have no foot to stand on, 'cept if they throw money at the problem. Legally I think (and I'm no expert and this is only my opinion) that google can't really do anything.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Actually, the fact that they only decided to host an e-mail server now, after google has already done it, using that name, holds a case in my opinion.

They won't last long.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Time will tell.
jee

Post by jee »

One has to look at it from another money point... the SA bunch had the name before Google.....
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Mow

Post by Mow »

yes jee , but now they want to feed of the success of google .
jee

Post by jee »

yea, they want to - but what if they want to claim that the name belongs to them and google has to pay them for it?

Will make an interesting trademark case..... you know the USAsians like to sue... mayhap Souf Efricans learned something from them. ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.