The Gmail thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DAE_JA_VOO

The Gmail thread

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It's like 4:30 and I can't sleep, so excuse me if anything here is a little messy :P

Every so often, there's something about Gmail that I'd like to discuss with you guys, but I never quite feel the need to start a thread about it. I'm a really big fan of Gmail, and I love all the stuff that Google is trying out in Google Labs, so I figured I'd start this thread and find out if anyone else is enjoying the service as much as I am.

First off - Are any of you guys utilizing labels? I've been using labels for a while now, but I've just recently started really putting them to use. A whole lot of the mail I receive now is actually labelled and archived immediately, so I don't even see it in my inbox. I then see that I have unread mail in that specific label, which i then open and read. I find that this is a pretty organised way of handling my mail.

This was getting a little tedious, as I would have to open up each label separately before being able to view mail. It wasn't tedious enough to dislike, but it felt unnecessary. Then, not 10 minutes ago, I opened up Google Reader to check out my RSS feeds, one of which is the Gmail blog, only to find that they have pretty much answered my prayers with their new lab feature - Multiple Inboxes. Check this out:

Another lab feature I'm loving is the new "Tasks" feature. I've got the worst short-term memory on the planet, and this thing is a life saver:

I'm just really loving Gmail at the moment. Anyone else enjoying it?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Re: The Gmail thread

Post by DeathStrike »

Wow. thank i love gmail to. like that muti inbox thing ganna go add it now. i haven't used the tasks thing yet does it send sms when you task is due? like google calendar? i using that for reminders. i also ave wosrt memory on planet. :oops:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Great thread! :D I absolutely love and adore Google products in general (except for Picassa :x ), and at the rate they update and innovate, I can almost call Google a "hobby", because there is always something new to try out.

I can't believe that stuff this awesome is FREE. Thanks for letting us know about multiple inboxes - I'm going to start setting mine up now.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Good post, I use gmail but not as actively as DJV, I keep it a sort of anonymous account! 8)
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I love gmail, seeing that it is free and you have loads of space. That is about it.

I agree with Lance (again :D ). I don't use it like DJV.

If you work from home and your gmail address is your business address, then WOW! All these features will make life alot easier and organized. But at most companies, Gmail is blocked and seen as non-work related. That is why we have Outlook for. 8)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I freaking hate outlook. Man i hate it.

The day i can no longer use Gmail as my main account will be a sad one :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Well, Gmail is still seen as a non work related and blocked by many companies. So access is denied at work.

Do you use your gmail account at work for work?
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Mow

Post by Mow »

Did you guys know you can send mail to youremail+pcf@gmail.com it will still arrive in your inbox. The you can easily set up a lable to sort your pcf mail ? Same with youremail+bank@gmail or what ever else you choose to use after the +. If you create an address like this for each site or service you use you can easily see who has been giving your details to the spambots/nodes.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Hey Mow...sorry dude...must be the Friday groove setting in...cos I was lost with that? Can you give an example of how that works pretty pleez?
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I don't really access my gmail.

I just setup my Outlook to get my Gmail so that my laptop has the office exchange and my Gmail.

Makes life so much easier than having to login.

And Dae, before I moved to Outlook (had to because of the exchange sever) I was using Thunderbird. I have dozens of rules for organizing my incoming mail.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I have user Lotus Notes, Novell GroupWise, Outlook, Thunderbird and Opera Mail. I still prefer GroupWise. Still the best there is. As for GMail yeah it is pretty cool. The best thing for me in it is the SPAM FILTER. Yah a spam filter that actually works correctly :D

Lotus Notes = Resource hungry and very very slooooow. The interface is too involved. Bottom line, it should not exist.

Outlook = UI is quite nicely laid out and user friendly but for some or other reason it just does not want to handle an IMAP calander and LDAP address book correctly. For me working from home this is a bother as our Exchange server is not sitting in a DMZ.

GroupWise = SWEET. This thing can talk to all off the above and actually use their features correctly. I actually had an installation which pulled my tasks, calendar and (yes DAE_JA_VOO) the notes assigned to my gmail mails. :D, into the it. To boot it all off it is the only Mail client with full document management suite integrated into it.

Alas at the moment I am stuck with Outlook
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Jap! I love Gmail have had it for a few years now , Its way better than Webmail.co.za hehe.

Its got nifty features, google chat popups, spam, filters ec ect.

I see google has released new webhosting. (I'm not talking about google pages)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I have user Lotus Notes, Novell GroupWise, Outlook, Thunderbird and Opera Mail. I still prefer GroupWise. Still the best there is. As for GMail yeah it is pretty cool. The best thing for me in it is the SPAM FILTER. Yah a spam filter that actually works correctly :D

Lotus Notes = Resource hungry and very very slooooow. The interface is too involved. Bottom line, it should not exist.

Outlook = UI is quite nicely laid out and user friendly but for some or other reason it just does not want to handle an IMAP calander and LDAP address book correctly. For me working from home this is a bother as our Exchange server is not sitting in a DMZ.

GroupWise = SWEET. This thing can talk to all off the above and actually use their features correctly. I actually had an installation which pulled my tasks, calendar and (yes DAE_JA_VOO) the notes assigned to my gmail mails. :D, into the it. To boot it all off it is the only Mail client with full document management suite integrated into it.

Alas at the moment I am stuck with Outlook
I train Lotus Notes, GroupWise and Outlook - and I agree with you 100% - GroupWise is by far the best.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:As for GMail yeah it is pretty cool. The best thing for me in it is the SPAM FILTER. Yah a spam filter that actually works correctly :D
Yep...one of the best features I like about it
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

I love Gmail, although I don't log in on the web page. I use Windows Mail instead. Windows mail uses less bandwidth imo. Outlook that came with Office really sucks! But outlook express/win mail works much better. And I've found that Opera mail don't always decode messages with images correctly...

But Gmail ftw!
Mow

Post by Mow »

SilverBack wrote:Hey Mow...sorry dude...must be the Friday groove setting in...cos I was lost with that? Can you give an example of how that works pretty pleez?
Lets say your gmail address is silverdack@gmail.com. So now you register at the pcformat website with silverdack+pcf@gmail.com. The mail will arrive in your inbox addressed silverdack+pcf.
So now you can set up a filter to label all mail addressed to silverdack+pcf as pcfmail. Understand ?

So now lets say you do this for all forums you use. silverdack+prophecy@gmail.com and silverdack+fnb@gmail.com .
If you get spam adressed to silverdack+prophecy@gmail.com then you know that prophecy has been leaking your details to the spam companies... Thats the best i can do to explain, hope it helps.
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
jee

Post by jee »

D3PART3D wrote: I absolutely love and adore Google products in general (except for Picassa :x ),
You should see what my Cyber Cadets are doing with Picassa - brochures, movies...
We use groupwise and some of the Google products - I must admit I like using a variety of their products... but they are turning grabby with their "free" stuff.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

A little off-topic, but did you guys know that when I registered at PCF I couldn't use either my Gmail or Hotmail account as my primary email?
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
Mow

Post by Mow »

You could , you were just told not to. :)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

c0d3r wrote:A little off-topic, but did you guys know that when I registered at PCF I couldn't use either my Gmail or Hotmail account as my primary email?
Yeah - we've had issues with abuse from free e-mail accounts in the past, so the decision was taken to ban them. This decision was made by Cameron years ago, before I was around.

Although, prior to the forum upgrade of last year, the system only stopped you from registering with a free address - once registered, it let you change to a free address. Then, when I did the forum conversion, I forgot about importing the banned e-mail address list, so a few people got through with those addresses. This did get resolved, and now the free e-mail accounts are disallowed again. The system is also far more strict than it was prior to the upgrade - now, banned e-mail accounts are just that, banned. You can't edit your profile to use one any more.

Legacy users who still have disallowed e-mail accounts in their profile aren't affected by any of this though - unless they decide to change their address to a disallowed account; such changes won't be allowed.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

GMail Drive shell extension

A Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account
GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.GMail Drive shell extension is a tool that creates a virtual filesystem.

8)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

There is a great gmail mobile app for those cell junkies out there (like me :D )
Gmail.com/app
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Synthesis wrote:GMail Drive shell extension

A Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account
GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.GMail Drive shell extension is a tool that creates a virtual filesystem.
8)
doesn't this require big caps to use? cos i am stuck with 1 GB at the moment.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

DeathStrike wrote:
doesn't this require big caps to use? cos i am stuck with 1 GB at the moment.
Unfortunately for backups etc, yes, I would imagine so. I have say 7GB of storage which is ALOT as far as our uploading capacity goes. Speed and cap wise. :roll:
But I'm thinking of using it to store typical small apps like in my sig for the business that all the technicians have access to so when they're on site at a client, they can access it from our "central" gmail account. if there's an interesting little program they come across, upload it. Mainly little security apps etc. Over time it will build up to a nice database of antivirus, updates, trojan removers, browsers, popular drivers, etc.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

GBRIDGE
Securely do VNC, share files, sync folder and remote backup via Google based VPN, even behind NAT. Gbridge helps you to manage your multiple PCs, and collaborate works with close friends. You can also use it to privately exchange huge media files with your family. Gbridge has many unique features. The built-in VNC let your remote access your PC desktop or invite your friend to see your desktop for collaboration. You can drag&drop a folder to create a share and select which friend can access. Before syncing the folder, your friends can remotely browse the folder, see the auto-generated photo thumbnail/slideshow, play MP3 online. You can sync folders among your own PCs too. Setup a recurring local or remote backup of your important folder is just easy. All services are running on top of the VPN that is automatically formed among your multiple PCs no matter where they are. You can also extend the VPN to include your Gtalk friend's PCs if both sides allow. You have full control over what resources are available to your friend. Since Gbridge creates tunnel through NAT or firewall and connects PCs directly, it gives you maximum throughput and privacy.
http://download.cnet.com/Gbridge/3000-7 ... 77073.html