Windows 1.0

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Windows 1.0

Post by DeathStrike »

Vista users are ecstatic about Windows 7, but what about all the fourteen hardcore users who bought Windows 1.0 after reading the first review ever in Byte's December 1983 issue? Here are the highlights:

• Microsoft Windows is an installable device driver under MS-DOS 2.0 using ordinary MS-DOS files.

• Complete compatibility with MS-DOS means that Windows will at least let you run any application that runs under MS-DOS.

• In the worst case, Windows will turn the fill display over to an MS-DOS application and return you to your place in Windows.

• During normal use, Microsoft Windows displays one or more [tiled] windows, each with a different application.

• The "session-control layer" becomes the equivalent of the empty desktop where you can manipulate files. The available commands appear near the bottom of the screen.

• To see the available applications programs, you either use the mouse to position the cursor on the command "Run" or type the letter "R." Windows lists all the applications programs as commands, and you point at the desired program and click the mouse to run it. You could also type the appropriate letter instead.

• In this case, the program that's run is "uncooperative" - that is, it doesn't do everything through MS-DOS system calls, sometimes going beyond the operating system to write directly to the hardware addresses such as those of screen memory.

• ...the transition from the uncooperative program to a "smart" one that can live happily in a smaller window and share the screen with other programs that take full advantage of Microsoft Windows. The smart program is Microsoft Word.

• Pointing at the PEN commands on the command bar at the bottom of the screen has brought the display of the menu of pen sizes and patterns. You select sizes and patterns by using the mouse to point at one of the boxes shown in each list, then pointing at the "OK" box

Why anyone bought this piece of useless crap is beyond me, no matter that the article argues that "the desktop metaphor and the mouse present attractive concepts, but Apple's Lisa or IBM's PC XT running Visi On exceeds the budget of the average personal computer user." Well, that's exactly why I had an Apple II and then got an IBM XT. Users thought the same. In fact, Windows 2.0 (Windows 286—which I had) was almost as bad as 1.0. It wasn't until Windows 3 that the operating system gained some traction, and it wasn't until Windows 95 when it really became a big success.
LINK

Wow. anyone here remember windows 3.1? or any of the older ones? how was it the first time you used it?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
IcePick88

Re: Windows 1.0

Post by IcePick88 »

My first pc was a 486 with 4MB of memory and a 400MB disk. Yes 400MB! hahaha! Ran Windows 3.1 and it was the bomb. Colour screen and all.

It was awesome. I played wolfenstein, duke nukem, stunts and all these little dos games. I spent very little time in windows though. I created batch files to launch all my games from the C:\ root, so instead of sifting through all the directories, I just typed in stunts and the game started.

I still remember buying my first CD-ROM. Cost my parents 500 bokke, but well worth it. Then came a sound card. :D

Windows 3.1 that time was incredible. Instead of DOS you had things like File Manager. It was like, WOW!!! I can see real windows instead of just typing.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

The initial Windows release (version 1.01), required MSDOS 2.0, 256K of RAM, 2 double-sided disk drives or a hard drive, and a Graphics-adapter card. Later versions increased the memory requirement to 320K, but the other system requirements remained unchanged, Windows shipped with a small selection of native applications, many of which still exist today in one format or another. This package consisted of MS-DOS Executive (the file manager), Calendar, Cardfile, Notepad, Terminal, Calculator, Clock, Reversi, Control Panel, PIF Editor, Print Spooler, Clipboard, RAMDrive, Windows Write, and Windows Paint. This was about all prospective Windows users had to work with, since third party Windows software was almost non-existent for the first few years. These Windows 1.0 applications will not run on later versions of Windows (not even on Windows 2.0, I have tried). If Microsoft had kept up that trend of ditching backwards compatibility, then Windows would probably be a much better operating system today (although it would probably have a smaller market share).
Or if your PC can handle it: :shock: Windows 3.11

Requirements

* MS-DOS 3.1 or later
* IBM compatible 80286 or higher (386 recommended)
* 640K Conventional memory
* 256K extended memory (XMS v 2.0 or higher)
* 1024K extended memory recommended on 80286
* 2048K extended memory recommended on 80386
* 5.25-inch (high density) or 3.5-inch floppy
drive
* Fixed drive with 6 megabytes free (10 megabytes
recommended)
* EGA, VGA, SVGA, XGA, 8514/A, or Hercules video
card or 100% compatible card, and monitor
* Mouse recommended
* A bunch of floppy disks!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

I'm feeling old because I can remember Windows 3.1 and playing Wolfenstein and Captain Comic (which didn't have a save-game option). Grew up using command prompts. Oh the memories *sigh*
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I was brought up on good old Windows 3.1. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ron2K wrote:I was brought up on good old Windows 3.1. :wink:
Yeah, I could imagine your parents found something better to do while waiting for startup...
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

+1 along with the original duke nukem :lol: :mrgreen:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Firestrm wrote:
+1 along with the original duke nukem :lol: :mrgreen:
Me too. :lol:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I was originally a DOS user then we upgraded the home PC to a 486 that launched me into Win 3.1 . I played all the old DOS games as well as the later "3D" Games :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Aah good memories...

First proper PC I had was a P-100 with 16MB RAM and a 852MB HDD running Windows 3.11. :love4:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Am I the only one who started on DOS?!? :shock:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Anakha56 wrote:Am I the only one who started on DOS?!? :shock:
Nope, I was also pre-windows IT literate and started on DOS 5.0 with the bat menu startup thing (I think the default was pink and green, but you could edit it and change the bat files. I even remember edit that Gorrila and Nibbles game to change colour and "cheat"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:Am I the only one who started on DOS?!?
def. not... still remember the joys to be had in fiddling himem.sys to get a game to run :lol:

and mucking around with basic :oops:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

damn i remember those days, the games were so awesome they made you see those bright colours even after you turn the monitor off. some of those games i could never get, doom and wolfenstein were fine but i also played a rugby game but all you saw where little text characters on screen, was confusing shiznit!
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Aaah the days of Monochrome graphics. Those were the days. When we played games cuz the game was actually addictive and not just cuz of the nice pictures.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
fbman

Post by fbman »

The good old day.

I remember working at the DOS prompt on my old 386DX with 4 Megs of Ram. I had Windows 3.1 on the machine as well. But I never really used it too much. I remember getting excited when Windows 95 came out.

I loved playing the commander Keen series, Wolfenstien, Space Quest Series and Kings Quest Series. Today games do not compare to those games. We may have fancy graphics and good engines, but the playability of those old games were the best.

I am loved Duke3d.

Still have these games today in Dosbox.

The control you had over your system in those days was cool, I would spend hours playing with my autoexec.bat and config.sys file to get every little bit of memory out of my system. Maybe that why I like playing with Linux, as it kinda takes you back to those days, with the level of control you have in linux.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

fbman wrote:The control you had over your system in those days was cool, I would spend hours playing with my autoexec.bat and config.sys file to get every little bit of memory out of my system. Maybe that why I like playing with Linux, as it kinda takes you back to those days, with the level of control you have in linux.
+1

Had a 386 with 2MB RAM. Had to actually scramble around in the config files to try and make a game fit into memory and then to have enouth HMA for the game to do its stuff.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:Am I the only one who started on DOS?!?
def. not... still remember the joys to be had in fiddling himem.sys to get a game to run :lol:

and mucking around with basic :oops:
lol i remember breaking windows 3.1 cos i messed up config.sys, so himem.sys couldnt be loaded :mrgreen:

and i also remember those old dos text based dos games, usually having the .com extension.
then some great dos games like doom, etc. 8)
and then those win 3.1 games like bang bang, and so on... :P

dos
ME then back to 98 :shock:
XP
Vista then back to XP :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SQL Server 2008 then back to XP
7 :mrgreen:
Belix

Post by Belix »

FIrst PC was a 286 8MHz. Trouble was it was only 16bit...so no windows 3.1 :(

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
shiv

Post by shiv »

Belix wrote:FIrst PC was a 286 8MHz. Trouble was it was only 16bit...so no windows 3.1 :(
um... windows 3.1 was 16 bit.
it would run on the 286.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Windows 3.1 only ran in protected mode on 386 CPUs (386 enhanced mode). 286's could run it in a "safe" mode only and it wouldn't recognize more than 1MB RAM so I don't think all the apps would run.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
shiv

Post by shiv »

Hex_Rated wrote:Windows 3.1 only ran in protected mode on 386 CPUs (386 enhanced mode). 286's could run it in a "safe" mode only and it wouldn't recognize more than 1MB RAM so I don't think all the apps would run.
386 enhanced mode -> aaah i remember that now.... :mrgreen:

yeah you're right, thanks :wink:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

shiv wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:Windows 3.1 only ran in protected mode on 386 CPUs (386 enhanced mode). 286's could run it in a "safe" mode only and it wouldn't recognize more than 1MB RAM so I don't think all the apps would run.
386 enhanced mode -> aaah i remember that now.... :mrgreen:

yeah you're right, thanks :wink:
Yeah with HMA and EMA.

HMA only gave you 1MB minus a 16bit offset used for addressing.
EMA is where the use of more than 1MB started. By re-mapping the other memory into a black hole in HMA it could effectively simulate the address space needed for the application.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
fbman

Post by fbman »

The 286's were 16bit, and the 386SX's were 16bit

the 386DX introduced us to 32bit. (as windows 95 required as min a 386DX)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

But running Win95 on a 386 would be like running Vista on a Pentium-233.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64