Active Sync kills Wireless connection

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Kasyx

Active Sync kills Wireless connection

Post by Kasyx »

Right, strangest problem ever.

I am at work and I have my laptop here with me. It connects to my work wifi (using WPA2). On said laptop, I have an active sync connection to my super-duper awesome HTC S710 (quite possibly the greatest phone ever made, but I digress...).

An issue arises whenever I connect my phone to my laptop via USB, that is, my wifi connection dies. And, if that weren't enough, it also seems to cause everyone else connected to the wireless network to disconnect as well (yes, seriously). I have absolutely no idea how that is even possible, but it is. When I connect the phone and Active Sync makes a connection, an additional Network Connection is created and connected, at which point my wifi (as well as everyone else in the office's) disconnects. I am running Windows XP on this laptop.

Once I have removed the phone, said network connection disappears, however my wireless connection thereafter is a fickle beast, connecting for all of 10 seconds before disconnecting again and again and again and I am soon going to kill myself...

The only way to resolve this issue is to restart the computer. As you can imagine, this is infuriating.

Any suggestions or postulations as to the cause of this annoyingly impressive issue would be most welcome...
rustypup

Re: Active Sync kills Wireless connection

Post by rustypup »

your phone is whoring itself and offering to act as a gateway device, offering duffed DNS service into the bargain...

my advice, stop connecting at the office, or disable your wifi connection before attaching the phone.. or stop the phone from showing it's skirt every time it touches your network...

you have to admit, this is like posting in a woodworking forum something along the lines of "every time i hit my thumb with a hammer, it hurts! this is starting to really annoy me!" :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Use wireshark and do a packet capture on the wifi interface. Then post screenshot here.
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

rustypup wrote: you have to admit, this is like posting in a woodworking forum something along the lines of "every time i hit my thumb with a hammer, it hurts! this is starting to really annoy me!" :lol:
No, it's more like "every time I hit my thumb with a hammer, it hurts EVERYONE IN THE VICINITY! This is really starting to annoy everyone, not only that, it is an exceptionally strange phenomenon..."