Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Post by Stuart »

okay, messenger still doesn't minimise to the system tray like it should.

:x

and i see the "send feedback" links are gone from the windows.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Stuart wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Why would you want deviding lines. Open apps have a diffirent colour and the more you have open the more shadow copies of the icon there is behind the icon. It works the way it is and it is nice the way it is.
in the beta it was a little tough to distinguish between an open program and a shortcut. looking more carefully now it actually does look a little easier. there's like a bubble around open programs.

of course, it's entirely possible that it was like that in the beta as well and i just didn't notice. i just don't remember it being that distinguishable before.
In build 7000 it had the bubble around all of the icons not just the open ones. The open ones however had a diffirent colour to them and if you had more then one open the icon would cascade.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:In build 7000 it had the bubble around all of the icons not just the open ones. The open ones however had a diffirent colour to them and if you had more then one open the icon would cascade.
yes, it still cascades, which is nice. but i like the fact that only the open programs have the bubble. makes it easier to distinguish between open programs and shortcuts. i just wish m$ wouold get this st00pid messenger issue sorted out. i hate having it open on my taskbar ... i only want it in my system tray.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Stuart wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:In build 7000 it had the bubble around all of the icons not just the open ones. The open ones however had a diffirent colour to them and if you had more then one open the icon would cascade.
yes, it still cascades, which is nice. but i like the fact that only the open programs have the bubble. makes it easier to distinguish between open programs and shortcuts. i just wish m$ wouold get this st00pid messenger issue sorted out. i hate having it open on my taskbar ... i only want it in my system tray.
+1 on Messenger and point conceded.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ruad, can you edit shiv's post at the bottom of page 25 and remove the upgrade instructions. if ron okays the changing of the build numbers i'll post them again, but i don't want them there if you're not allowed to do that.

:)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Stuart wrote:ruad, can you edit shiv's post at the bottom of page 25 and remove the upgrade instructions. if ron okays the changing of the build numbers i'll post them again, but i don't want them there if you're not allowed to do that.

:)
Done as requested.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

:thumbup:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Oh, about that - I can't find an online version of the EULA anywhere.

Yet.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Someone posted a problem about accessing shares over a network. Got that sorted yet? It just occurred to me that maybe you just have to add everyone read & execute permissions to the sharing and security tabs. If your problem was sorted already then just ignore this.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

That was me. The problem resolved itself it seems. I don't much like the Homegroup option in Win 7 - I understand it is for home users to make it easier for them to setup networks, but I think if I were in IT Support, it would annoy me.

I also find Win 7 changes my Homegroup type (public, work, private) at it's (in)discretion - that's annoying.
to ápeiro anima
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yeah, I hate that as well. What I do nowadays is disable the homegroup option, set my shares and other network settings, change the network type to home (or whatever it is) and just leave it. I've found that once it is set up and working to your liking, it's pretty stable.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

That's what I do to, I ignore the Homegroup option. Still, I find it changes my network type which is annoying.
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

as an interesting side note, my neotel connection has been rock solid since i installed win7. with vista i experienced intermittent drops, and each time i would have to redial three or four times before it would connect again. with win7 beta i enjoyed an uninterrupted connection the entire weekend. i haven't yet tried my neotel connection with rc1. i shall do so tonight and see if i have the same joy.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Very interesting, and good news. This bodes well for Win7 (and Neotel, I think...)

Keep us up to date. :)
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Here is one of the best changes in windows 7 rc1 for me
Windows XP mode

XP Mode is the big RC "secret". The RC allows you to run older Windows XP applications in a virtual Windows XP environment on Windows 7. The feature is an additional download. The feature will allow you to run legacy XP applications in tandem with Windows 7 applications
How does Windows XP Mode work?

Woodgate: Windows XP Mode is the combination of two features. The first part is a pre-packaged virtual Windows XP environment. The second is Windows Virtual PC, which is used to run the virtual Windows XP environment. Customers can install their applications into Windows XP Mode using typical installation processes such as downloading from the Web or using the product CD. Once installed, the applications are automatically available on the Windows 7 Start Menu and can be launched just like any Windows 7 program. Optionally, these Windows XP applications can be pinned to the Windows 7 Task Bar and launched using just a single click from the Windows 7 desktop
E 6400 @ 3.2
Cooled by ASUS Silent Knight
GIGABYTE DQ6 (REV 2)MOB
2 GIG OCZ Flex DDR2 PC800
XFX 8600 GT Fatality
SEAGATE 320 GIG SATA 2
Western Digital 160 GIG SATA 2
500W POWER SUPLY
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Stuart wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Why would you want deviding lines. Open apps have a diffirent colour and the more you have open the more shadow copies of the icon there is behind the icon. It works the way it is and it is nice the way it is.
in the beta it was a little tough to distinguish between an open program and a shortcut. looking more carefully now it actually does look a little easier. there's like a bubble around open programs.

of course, it's entirely possible that it was like that in the beta as well and i just didn't notice. i just don't remember it being that distinguishable before.
I booted last night into Win7 just to have a look at the taskbar and it is exactly the same as you have there. An application that is pinned does not have a border. If the application is running it has a border and if there are multiples it is cascaded behind the icon.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Stuart wrote:

I booted last night into Win7 just to have a look at the taskbar and it is exactly the same as you have there. An application that is pinned does not have a border. If the application is running it has a border and if there are multiples it is cascaded behind the icon.
yes, i saw that myself when i updated my home pc last night. not sure why i never noticed it before. :oops:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i'll preface this with: i actually like W7... and i generally enjoy wired's content... but.. how is this not paid for marketing splurge?..
Wired wrote:Landing in stores October, Windows 7 is sparking a surprisingly heated debate (in our forums, at least) on whether or not upgrading from XP is a good idea. If you’re in the “nay” camp, we’re going to lay out seven reasons why you should consider switching your stance to “yay.”

When scanning our list, we politely encourage you to ask yourself, “Do I really want to continue using an eight-year-old operating system?” Followed by “Don’t I deserve better?” Because no matter how comfortable you are with XP, you do deserve an OS that’s both newer and better, and Windows 7 will deliver. Not convinced? Then read on.
  • :- You Asked for This (meh)
    :- Upgrading Won’t Screw You Over
    :- Automatically Installed Device Drivers (*** you MS... i prefer to pick my own, thank you very much)
    :- Piracy (biggest load of BS produced by wired to date)
    :- A Better Interface (meh)
    :- More Advanced Hardware Support (so, finally, proper multi-core support... )
    :- It Looks Sexier (meh and already mentioned)
the comments section is littered with hilarity, but it should be pointed out that:
1) I prefer to manage my drivers myself - if you can't figure out how this works, or if it is too much of a chore for you, you should be issued with foam replica of a pc and told to sit in the corner... people like you make my life a living hell... encouraging you to remain oblivious is probably not a good thing...
2) The piracy point is simply a botched understanding of the workgroup feature, (touted here as somethign new and exciting)... if i drop my licensed music files in a network share, you will not be able to use them 'legally' regardless of how much you copy them... this is like a 4yr-old screaming of "LOOK! I CAN SHARE FILES! WOOT! LOLZ!"- ***** retard

there's many good points about switching to 7, but these are not among them.. :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

D3PART3D wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:I just wish MS would realize that the Classic contol panel worked 100x better than the categorized view they want us to use.
Maybe for us, but think of all the stupid people out there.
Don't Win7 have a skin / mod / theme that emulates Win XP's front end?
I am getting sooooo frustrated not being able to find what I'm looking for almost immidiately.
ffs
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

UrBaN wrote:I tried Deep Burner which just tells me that my drive is in use, would I like to try again? BS!

And I tried AVS DVD Burner, which actually only frikkin copies DVDs, can't actually burn an ISO...and then I went home to mod my case ;)
Did you sort this out? (necro)
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

po10cy wrote:has anyone managed to load daemon tools yet on windows 7?
Daemon Tools is still not working on Win7.
Just a FYI.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:
po10cy wrote:has anyone managed to load daemon tools yet on windows 7?
Daemon Tools is still not working on Win7.
Just a FYI.
Not even the latest version? Alcohol has been working for months now, and Daemon Tools was supposed to be working at the same time.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Stuart, Daemon Tools works fine
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

'Swhat I thunk.

It's actually been good to see the hardline we-don't-cater-for-beta-operating-systems bent by many companies in this regard. I realise that a RC is not the same as a beta, but even after RC1 many software developers (Alcohol, Daemon Tools, Outpost, etc.) were insisting that they'd only release their products for W7 at final release, but have subsequently succumbed to peer pressure. :)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Sojourn, Don't even remember the issue. I have Nero now so I use that for burning discs.

I use Virtual Clone Drive in Win 7 and it runs 100%. I find it better than Daemon Tools.
to ápeiro anima