Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
PsyCLown

Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Post by PsyCLown »

Ok, well, pretty much created this thread as im sure quite a few questions will pop up as well as problems and instead of spamming other threads or creating lots of smaller ones we can just have a single big thread?

Soo, we can discuss problems and possible solutions and some of our findings...

I noticed that if you turn off UAC that you cannot rename any HDD which is not a system HDD as well as your gadgets/sidebar stops working.

Ill keep posting anything I find which may be useful...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Post by Anakha56 »

I am loving it so far, but then again I enjoyed Vista as well :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Also liking what I see so far.

Just a note though, you won't be able to play any punkbuster enabled games online using 7 as pb doesn't know the OS and you will get kicked for "unknown windows api" and I doubt pb will update to include 7 support... though you never know.

Also, it seems as though MS created only a couple of Product Keys because most guys are getting 1 of 5 keys, very few people got unique keys from what I read on a few other forums. I got an e-mail from MS this morning with an official link to the dl and the key I got off the MS site was 1 of the keys floating around the internet.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Friggs wrote:Also liking what I see so far.

Just a note though, you won't be able to play any punkbuster enabled games online using 7 as pb doesn't know the OS and you will get kicked for "unknown windows api" and I doubt pb will update to include 7 support... though you never know.

Also, it seems as though MS created only a couple of Product Keys because most guys are getting 1 of 5 keys, very few people got unique keys from what I read on a few other forums. I got an e-mail from MS this morning with an official link to the dl and the key I got off the MS site was 1 of the keys floating around the internet.
Hmm, if they are repeating the serials then we might as well share with each other? :?

Im also enjoying W7, also liked Vista.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

PsyCLown wrote:
Friggs wrote:Also liking what I see so far.

Hmm, if they are repeating the serials then we might as well share with each other? :?

Im also enjoying W7, also liked Vista.
YGPM.

Don't know if I should post it here... ?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, what is it about the O.S. that really improves on a user experience? Features and technical performance aside, is it really that amazing to you? I turn on my computer, click the start button and open a program or game. Then the O.S. disappears. The nice look and transparency and all that just doesn't count anymore.

Internet Explorer is being spoken a lot about. :roll: You can download it for Vista as well. I wouldn't say it's a new feature of 7. More of an application included with 7.

Say for example Windows 95 was the last version ever and it just kept getting upgraded to support higher DX versions, more RAM and different file systems, would it make that much of a difference. I don't open a windows and marvel at the prettiness. It's just a base for storing and running my apps on. I would rather have a simple "dull" O.S. and have more resources to spare than spend all my resources on the O.S. that just runs in the background anyway.

What I'm getting at is, what has Windows 7 got that makes life easier and more enjoyable that the other windows doesn't? So a few questions:

1. What is startup time like, much quicker or too long?

2. How are response times on opening and closing programs and ALT+TAB?

3. Overall smoothness compared to resource-hog Vista with all effects on, when opening windows and start menu?

4. User-Friendliness compared to Vista? XP was much easier to get to uninstall programs, Printers, network connections etc. Vista just seems to have extra unnecessary steps in between.

5. Any new types of "included" apps and improvements on traditional apps like windows mail?

6. Any NEW noticeable features that you say, WOW, how could they not include that in previous windows and why did nobody ever think of it? maybe different ways of switching between programs. Different file management?

etc etc etc....
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

good point Synthesis, i have read alot that windows 7 boots in under 30 seconds. would like to hear someone verify that.

EDIT:
Microsoftie Brandon LeBlanc admits that the Windows 7 beta release scramble "was not ideal" and says the company will extend its availability beyond the 2.5M cap until January 24th.

We have clearly heard that many of you want to check out the Windows 7 Beta and, as a result, we have decided remove the initial 2.5 million limit on the public beta for the next two weeks (thru January 24th). During that time you will have access to the beta even if the download number exceeds the 2.5 million unit limit.

Though their initial underestimation of demand did smack of cluelessness, it's nice to see Microsoft making amends for a rocky couple of days. As of now you can get the download and the free product key to unlock it by visiting the Windows 7 Beta site straight on (no secret direct download links required).
LINK
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well I would say it is booting and shutting down a hell of a lot faster than Vista. Also internet browsing just "seems" faster :?. Both in IE 8 and Opera 10 Alpha. I am going to watch some DVD's and anime tonight and see what the result of that is. By far my most fav feature has to be the driver scenario, Vista drivers work like a charm installed my Xonar with Vista drivers and its working fine. Also the way it unloads everything then loads up is quite snappy. I am very happy so far :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Is the security still annoying? Asking you to confirm every action at least 3 times before running?
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Anakha56 wrote: Also the way it unloads everything then loads up is quite snappy. I am very happy so far :).
What does this mean?
to ápeiro anima
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Security is less intrusive it still asks but not as often.

By snappy I mean when you load drivers it unloads all the necessary areas faster and loads them up quicker than Vista hence the reason why reboots are no longer needed.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Oh I see what you mean...that rocks harder than Katie Perry at a brothel 8)
to ápeiro anima
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Quick Q: Do you need Vista to install Windows 7? Or can you do a fresh install?
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

You have to do a fresh install.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

If you have Vista Ultimate you can do a upgrade since the install is Win 7 Ultimate, I am dual booting between the 2 just in case something goes wrong somehow.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

How do you boot Xp,Vista and windows 7?I dont wanna lose my xp installation.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Would not know, I have 3 partition on my PC 2 of the 3 are being used for windows whilst the 3rd is for games/page file/music.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Think ill rather install it on another pc.Just waiting for a procy.Not gonna take a chance.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

You either need 3 h/d or 3 partitions. Also usually for the bootmenu to work properly you need to install xp then vista then win 7. You can offcourse edit the bootmenu with some programs.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

I have 3 patitions.Ill install tommorow.Im already dual booting xp and Vista so thats sorted.I think ill use easybcd to edit the bootmenu if i run into any problems.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

UrBaN wrote:Oh I see what you mean...that rocks harder than Katie Perry at a brothel 8)
:? Yuck!?

Yeh, just install the OS's in the order they were released and it should auto create a boot menu. I am dual booting Vista and W7.

I tried EasyBCD and didnt have too much luck, although it may have been my fault/user error.

Also as Anakha56 said, you can do an upgrade. I dont know if it changes depending on the version of Vista you are running. I am running Ultimate 64 SP1 and I got the option to upgrade selectable when I used my W7 DVD to install W7 :)

I dont think it would matter, although not sure. Perhaps if you are using a 32bit OS and want to upgrade to a 64bit one or visa versa, although as I siad im not too sure about that...
Id actually like to know.

Some of my gadgets, well, the AppLauncher one doesnt seem to work the same as it did in Vista. :(
Unless I am using a differnet version somehow. Also there doesnt seem toe be a sidebar, the gadgets are just floating there and can be moved where ever on the desktop. Which is nice in a way, irritating in another as if you have an application slightly over the gadget you want to use, you cant click the sidebar to being it to the font and use that gadget.

My W7 is using the same or a bit less of my RAM than Vista use to. I think im running all my usual apps, infact running a small VM too. Soo, it does use a bit less RAM. Perhaps 200MB for me?

Spoiler (show)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I think WM7 is more efficient with its memory usage than Vista, I am noticing the same however programs are a lot more responsive in WM7 than Vista just feels quicker/smoother.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

PsyCLown wrote:
UrBaN wrote:Oh I see what you mean...that rocks harder than Katie Perry at a brothel 8)
:? Yuck!?

Yeh, just install the OS's in the order they were released and it should auto create a boot menu. I am dual booting Vista and W7.

I tried EasyBCD and didnt have too much luck, although it may have been my fault/user error.

Also as Anakha56 said, you can do an upgrade. I dont know if it changes depending on the version of Vista you are running. I am running Ultimate 64 SP1 and I got the option to upgrade selectable when I used my W7 DVD to install W7 :)

I dont think it would matter, although not sure. Perhaps if you are using a 32bit OS and want to upgrade to a 64bit one or visa versa, although as I siad im not too sure about that...
Id actually like to know.

Some of my gadgets, well, the AppLauncher one doesnt seem to work the same as it did in Vista. :(
Unless I am using a differnet version somehow. Also there doesnt seem toe be a you like chicken?, the gadgets are just floating there and can be moved where ever on the desktop. Which is nice in a way, irritating in another as if you have an application slightly over the gadget you want to use, you cant click the you like chicken? to being it to the font and use that gadget.

My W7 is using the same or a bit less of my RAM than Vista use to. I think im running all my usual apps, infact running a small VM too. Soo, it does use a bit less RAM. Perhaps 200MB for me?
You really like chicken, don't you? :lol:
TheAlteredState

Post by TheAlteredState »

Ooooooooooooh! Man I love Windows 7! It's sooo pretty! The precious!!!! :mrgreen:
Significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state!
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Spoiler (show)