HOWTO: Install Pidgin on Debian Etch

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
WAJeff

HOWTO: Install Pidgin on Debian Etch

Post by WAJeff »

Hey guys. Im really enjoying my Debian install. Once thing that doesnt come installed with it is Pidgin, which is my prefered IM. I've written up a quick guide for those who wanna use Debian Etch (version 4) and run Pidgin

We first need these packages. Note you NEED to have a sudo terminal open to this

Code: Select all

jeff@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/jeff# apt-get install gettext libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libxml2-dev
Then we need to get and build the PerlXML package

apt-get install libxml-perl
Then the package for SSL support

apt-get install libgnutls-dev
Once the packages are all downloaded and compiled, download Pidgin**

Extract, compile and install with the following commands

tar jxvf pidgin-2.3.1.tar.bz2
cd pidgin-2.3.1
./configure --enable-gnutls=yes
make
make install
NB You NEED to have the option to enable SSL (the gnutls package) Dont forget this part, otherwise you either wont be able to login or you will be kicked from the network
Pidgin is now ready to use. You can access it by going to Applications>Internet>Pidgin Internet Messenger

**I have been able to get the latest version of Pidgin to work under Etch, for now - 2.3.1 has worked for me. Hope this guide helps a bit, and saves Googling time :mrgreen:
Fish_man

Re: HOWTO: Install Pidgin on Debian Etch

Post by Fish_man »

GB epic dude how can we live without Pidgin, hook me up with the distro !!1 so i can test !!