Bigger Avatars

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Bigger Avatars

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ron2K wrote:I'll discuss this internally with the rest of the team.
Thanks Ron2K, I think the people will appreciate it.

What everyone has to realize is that the Avetars are all uploaded to the server. It is not just a simple matter your own bandwidth. If you want to save your bandwidth you can use a propper browser that actually cashes the images and uses them again. This has more impact on the hosting line as I don't think anyone here actually sets up their browsers correctly. Evern a 1k diffirence can have a huge impact. It can be the diffirence between then having to pay for a 3GB or a 5GB cap (Assuming they are using a DSL with a dynamic DNS addressing). In any case it puts more strain on the line and it has to be accomodated for. I doubt that any of us would get a decent browsing experience if the line starts taking strain as that would affect all of us at the same time. If for one don't care what they do. If the team sais it is cool I am happy otherwise I am happy too. I have a 27GB local cap which gets used if I have international cap left or not. I would agree with Stuart though. The sigs could use a bigger dimension rather than the avetars. They are a tad small if you look at the resolutions people tend to run at. IF I view the forum at any wide res bigger than 1024 x 768 it starts to look minute against the rest.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, then just another suggestion if that be the case: How about using [img] tags for avatars same as sigs? I may be wrong but wasn't this the plan a few years ago anyway, or was it the other way around and sigs would be uploaded to the server :scratch:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Synthesis wrote:Ok, then just another suggestion if that be the case: How about using [img] tags for avatars same as sigs? I may be wrong but wasn't this the plan a few years ago anyway, or was it the other way around and sigs would be uploaded to the server :scratch:
If you want to turn them off go to the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options and set what you want to see and what you don't. It is easy and painless. Mine is all on cuz I wanna see everything but I also cache all images.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Exactly the point a lot of people have been making. If the size bothers you, turn it off.
*note* I am totally unbiased here. I really don't care whether they increase the size or not. I'm actually happy with how it is.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I have a 27GB local cap which gets used if I have international cap left or not.
The only way that that can be true is if you have a 27GB local only account that is managed by Routesentry, which is impossible, because 27GB local only accounts do not exist. You local bandwidth is used only once your international bandwidth is finished ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:I have a 27GB local cap which gets used if I have international cap left or not.
The only way that that can be true is if you have a 27GB local only account that is managed by Routesentry, which is impossible, because 27GB local only accounts do not exist. You local bandwidth is used only once your international bandwidth is finished ;)
Nope the ISP I use diffirentiates when you browse even if you have international cap left. And since I work for a company who sells for them I can kinda make my own packages as long as it sticks to their pricing. And yes I did test it. It actually deducted from the local account already since yesterday and there is not a change that I would have been able to use up my 3GB of international.

But this is not a thread about how my ISP package works. It is about Avatar sizes, which I am only pointing out is meaningless to me as I have 27GB local and 3GB international cap.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

The only ISP I know of which has something similar to that is Cybersmart, but as said this is about avatars and not ISPs.

Also I had thought about that, I dont know what the current server specs and hosting details for PCF's site is.
Also cant we allow users to hotlink their avatars? They could then host it on their own site, photobucket or whatever. Sure it probably wouldnt be local (well, most of the time) if we allowed this and users used it.

Perhaps even keep the 16KB size for images hosted on PCF and allow users who host their avatars else where to have bigger avatars? Obviosuly you'll limit that as well. That wont affect PCF's hosting and if anything would reduce the bandwidth used by the server. I dont think it would put much more strain on the server either?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

PsyCLown wrote: Also I had thought about that, I dont know what the current server specs and hosting details for PCF's site is.
Also cant we allow users to hotlink their avatars? They could then host it on their own site, photobucket or whatever. Sure it probably wouldnt be local (well, most of the time) if we allowed this and users used it.

Perhaps even keep the 16KB size for images hosted on PCF and allow users who host their avatars else where to have bigger avatars? Obviosuly you'll limit that as well. That wont affect PCF's hosting and if anything would reduce the bandwidth used by the server. I dont think it would put much more strain on the server either?
And that is the first sensible thing I have heard in this whole thread.

BTW: PsyCLown - I love the sig.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:Perhaps even keep the 16KB size for images hosted on PCF and allow users who host their avatars else where to have bigger avatars? Obviosuly you'll limit that as well. That wont affect PCF's hosting and if anything would reduce the bandwidth used by the server. I dont think it would put much more strain on the server either?
And that is the first sensible thing I have heard in this whole thread.
Yeh, makes sense and im sure its possible as well. Could benefit both PCF as well as us users who want bigger avvies :D
Will work just as well, if not better, than increasing the size of avatars and having them uploaded to PCF.
The way I see it... A win win situation.
RuadRauFlessa wrote:BTW: PsyCLown - I love the sig.
hehe, thanks :P
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Guys... it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean...

Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Go here in the ACP: :wink:

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

See easy. :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

well i use my phone as modem as well at home. And i only get gprs and i struggle to browes pcf. and i have also disable the images. if i had a better connection then it would be better but there is a few members like me at this stage. Telkom cant give me a line as they cant even get my street address on their system.
Thanks to Stuart
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

bosaap wrote:well i use my phone as modem as well at home. And i only get gprs and i struggle to browes pcf. and i have also disable the images. if i had a better connection then it would be better but there is a few members like me at this stage. Telkom cant give me a line as they cant even get my street address on their system.
If you have disabled images then it's obviously not our avatars and sigs that are causing you grief with browsing the forum.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

This is currenty being discussed in the admin forums. We will let you know as soon as a decision has been made.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:This is currenty being discussed in the admin forums. We will let you know as soon as a decision has been made.
Can't you let us know BEFORE a decision has been made? :P
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:This is currenty being discussed in the admin forums. We will let you know as soon as a decision has been made.
Prove it!!!
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Synthesis wrote:
Prove it!!!
Proof is in the pudding and you only get the pudding when dinner is finished. So wait and see what happens.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ryan.Cockbain

Post by Ryan.Cockbain »

The size limit is too small..
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ryan.Cockbain wrote:The size limit is too small..
Thats why im trying to work out a way to increase it while keeping everyone happy :P

Although for your current avatar and its resolution, doesnt really make much of a differenc :lol: :P

Spoiler (show)
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I somehow knew you thought that.
I34z1k