Bandwidth Theft in South Africa

Viruses, hackers and crackers
w1z4rd911

Bandwidth Theft in South Africa

Post by w1z4rd911 »

I discovered today that I have been a victim of bandwidth theft. Someone got my ISP details from my modem somehow and used up my whole cap in 72 Hours plus he used my backup bandwidth as well, so I was capped off to local uisage only. This killed a few business deals I had this weekend.
Has any one else suffered from this. Telkom is investigating and tracking them down as they have their own means of catching these thieves.
Abatis

Re: Bandwidth Theft in South Africa

Post by Abatis »

just please do yourself a favour, and change the username and password on your router!!!!!
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

We had a guy that hacked into our office VPN and used 4 of our 12Gb one time. Just changed passwords and upgraded security, sorted.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

admin
admin

Where you using wireless with encryption? Even WPA can be broken now... I don't know about WPA 2. If you're running WiFi to distribute the bandwidth to the office computers it's most probably someone in the vicinity. Or a wardriver.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

We can only assume it was someone in one of the other offices because our offices are situated in a highly built up area and the wireless router only picks up signal within about 50m.

It was before my time but apparently at that stage there was no encryption, kan jy glo!

Out of interest, what's a wardriver?
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

we also had someone chowing our bandwidth, 20gb used in less than 5 days, username and password change seems to have sorted it.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

There is so many ways of securing your internet and account........
You will be so surprised to know how many ppl leave their routers user name and password defaulted. And the wireless unsecure ..... even if u have WPA on and the crack the password you can setup other securities like only MAC address can connect.....

Just walk around and see how many wireless networks is out there and you will be able to connect to at least 40% of them as they have the simplest key or there is no security on......
Thanks to Stuart
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Jonboy wrote:Out of interest, what's a wardriver?
Ask KB :P

Joking. It's someone who drives around with antennae on his laptop and searches for wireless networks, hacks them and supposedly stores their GPS co-ordinates for later, when he feels like downloading some bestiality/movies/games etc.

KB is a "white hat" wardriver though, so he doesn't abuse the system or steal bandwidth.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

bosaap wrote:There is so many ways of securing your internet and account........
You will be so surprised to know how many ppl leave their routers user name and password defaulted. And the wireless unsecure ..... even if u have WPA on and the crack the password you can setup other securities like only MAC address can connect.....

Just walk around and see how many wireless networks is out there and you will be able to connect to at least 40% of them as they have the simplest key or there is no security on......
It's very easy to spoof MAC addresses. The hacker can listen to the traffic and pull the MAC addresses out of "thin air" and set his card to use that MAC address.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

And that is why I never run with a default setup on a router and why I don't employ 802.11a/g at home. :D
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

A lot of the time one doesn't even need to go wardriving. One can just do a port scan on one of the Telkom/IS IP ranges searching for open http (port 80) ports. Most routers seem to allow external http connections by default, so all they have to do is connect to your IP through their browser and, if you haven't changed the default router password, they are in. Most routers don't encrypt your ISP username and password, meaning one can merely check the source of the page and get your ISP password.

My suggestion is to disable external access to your router. However, if you need external access, change the port it operates on (maybe to 443 or something similar). You also need to change your router's default password and, if you think you have been hacked, the password on your ISP account.
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Hex_Rated wrote:
bosaap wrote:There is so many ways of securing your internet and account........

It's very easy to spoof MAC addresses. The hacker can listen to the traffic and pull the MAC addresses out of "thin air" and set his card to use that MAC address.

Yes I know but you have that extra security and will take longer to crack.......
Thanks to Stuart
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Remote admin is something you should avoid like the plague if you can. Disabling external ping also works well. Probably prevents 90% of the attacks. A ping sweep will (eventually) reveal your PC to the hacker if you allow external pinging.
bosaap wrote:Yes I know but you have that extra security and will take longer to crack.......
Very true, some things prevent most of the attacks. Unfortunately a determined hacker will be able to get through. A script kiddy will probably fail.
Last edited by Hex_Rated on 11 Dec 2008, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

bosaap wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:

Yes I know but you have that extra security and will take longer to crack.......
Just change the WEP key once a month. Or simply disable the wireless and get a 100Mb/s connection to your router with a CAT5e or CAT6 cable.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

Your average wardriver is probably way too lazy to take the extra time to crack additional security measures. More often than not they will probably just leave it and move on to someone else's (less secure) network.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

This may sound kind of daft, but does the same concept apply to utilising bluetooth on one's cell? Could somebody use my data bundle in the same way?
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I think it's possible in theory, they would have to spoof your SIM card to the network somehow. On second thought, I don't know if that's possible. They'd have to get the SIMs S/N (which is possible with an AT-Hayes command) and probably some more info (which I don't know if that's possible) and then they'd have to program a separate SIM with the details of your SIM.
Last edited by Hex_Rated on 11 Dec 2008, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

I dont know about the bluetooth.
But with wireless you can also just hide the network name for the wireless that way no1 can see it. ANd setup every1 that needs to connect manually rather than auto detect
Thanks to Stuart
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

it is actually possible with bluetooth to use your phone BUT the only way that words is if they use software to access and control your phone thru bluetooth, so your phone literally dials the numbers and calls out and then they listen thru their phone like a bluetooth headset.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

Jonboy wrote:This may sound kind of daft, but does the same concept apply to utilising bluetooth on one's cell? Could somebody use my data bundle in the same way?
As far as I am aware it is, theoretically, possible, however the number of people in SA who have the ability to do it is so low that the chances of one of them actually going for your phone in particular is probably akin to winning the lottery.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Kasyx wrote:
Jonboy wrote:This may sound kind of daft, but does the same concept apply to utilising bluetooth on one's cell? Could somebody use my data bundle in the same way?
As far as I am aware it is, theoretically, possible, however the number of people in SA who have the ability to do it is so low that the chances of one of them actually going for your phone in particular is probably akin to winning the lottery.
Wahahaha. That is like an impropability factor of 1045234567^23414134:1
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mow

Post by Mow »

Guys seriously . Cracking WPA is possible but its not a case of run a script and it works. It takes time , depending on the specs of the machine .. anywhere from an hour to 12. You also need atleast two wireless interface preferably on two notebooks cause running it on one will futher increase necessary processing power. Interestingly enough , GPGPU acceleration has dropped that hour to around 2min. But its still very experimental.

As for mac spoofing ... Dude this can be done in less than a minute. Dunno if you guys have realized but all wireless devices have a transmit power control feature. This is there to help limit the wireless signal to your property . Decrease the size of the wireless cell and you decrease wardriver access.

99% of the time this so called bandwidth theft is due to torrents , windows updates or a lazy admin. Also be reasonable if you decrease the size of the cell to what you need and run WPA 2 the odds of them getting in through your wireless is slim to none. If you are still paranoid after that you can look at a radius server , but good luck with the configuration.

Jonboy,

I doubt there are many guys with that kinda skill. Hacking a VPN is leet. so much so dude if its ipsec and you guys are running SHA im gonna call you a liar. Because SHA was only recently compromised in a lab environment using something close to a supercomputer.

Kasyx,

Dude a router that allows remote http access by default is failing at is only purpose .... security. I have never seen one with this enabled as default.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

Http access allowed by default? It's more likely than you think :P

I know some Billion routers come with external access enabled by default. Mine did.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Kasyx wrote:Http access allowed by default? It's more likely than you think :P

I know some Billion routers come with external access enabled by default. Mine did.
Mine 2
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mow

Post by Mow »

Maybe get a real router then . chuck the lucky packet stuff you got.

edit.

do you know how easy it would be to write a script that scan telkoms ip range . tries to log into any wan address it finds and collects login info !!!!!!!!!! I could have a thousand accounts in a day or so.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.