Electricty Problem

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

Electricty Problem

Post by CRAZYIRISHMAN121 »

Hey guys i am getting a little shock off my computer when it is Pluged in. thats the 1st thing that is bothering me the second thing is that im sometimes getting a tick tick tick off my telephone line when i plug my Internet Router in, but the the thing that bothers me more is the tick tick will only be heard when i plug my computer next to the Modem on the same multi plug but if i take 2 multi plugs and plug the Router in the one and the Compter in the other nothing happens even when they go in to the same plug now i know the tick tick is comeing from the Router and i only get the shock on my computer when it is pluged in the Multi plug :? this is realy getting my brain working BTW when i pluig the computer in another room in my house there is no shock :|
So if any of you guys think you know what the problem is plz let me know :wink:
Thanks~
Prime

Re: Electricty Problem

Post by Prime »

CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:Hey guys i am getting a little shock off my computer when it is Pluged in. thats the 1st thing that is bothering me the second thing is that im sometimes getting a tick tick tick off my telephone line when i plug my Internet Router in, but the the thing that bothers me more is the tick tick will only be heard when i plug my computer next to the Modem on the same multi plug but if i take 2 multi plugs and plug the Router in the one and the Compter in the other nothing happens even when they go in to the same plug now i know the tick tick is comeing from the Router and i only get the shock on my computer when it is pluged in the Multi plug :? this is realy getting my brain working BTW when i pluig the computer in another room in my house there is no shock :|
So if any of you guys think you know what the problem is plz let me know :wink:
Thanks~
Is your PSU using a 2 or 3 pin plug into the mains?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

it mayb that your multiplug is faulty? :?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
douglash

Post by douglash »

^^ +1 ^^ Multiplugs suck!!
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

I have 2 PSU's and they use 3 pins
I have checked the multiplugs and the all look fine
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Have heard it's normally due to multiplugs or ext cords with the wires swapped. Try plug it in somewhere else in the house, straight into the wall.
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

ok here is what ive found out
THe spark will only come when it is in a multiplug and with the tick tick noise on the line most probably it happens beacuse the stole the Earths on the Poll out side my house
Prime

Post by Prime »

CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:I have 2 PSU's and they use 3 pins
I have checked the multiplugs and the all look fine
Not the plug on the PSU, the cable form the PSU to the wall. the PSU end will have 3 pins and so should the eskom end. otherwise cut the plug of and put a 3 pin plug on :wink:

But i agree with the general consensus, check your multiplug
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Same problem with my DVD player...

It's shocking! :lol: :roll: :roll:
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:ok here is what ive found out
THe spark will only come when it is in a multiplug and with the tick tick noise on the line most probably it happens beacuse the stole the Earths on the Poll out side my house
If I read that correctly (which I had extreme trouble to do) the earth was stolen from the pole outside?
Well that ,I believe is your problem. If there is no earth you have better chances of getting shocked.

Then the other suggestion would be the same as what was suggested before. Plug it into the wall(the one that had the multiplug) If it shocks you again then call an electrician (don't mess with electricity) and if it doesn't shock then try using a multiplug from a friend.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

thanks man
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Siemens is correct. It is your house's earth that is faulty or not connected to that problematic plug-points properly. Typical effect that when you put your elbow on an appliance like fridge or stove it shocks you. Not serious but can cause damage to your PC over time.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Synthesis wrote:Siemens is correct. It is your house's earth that is faulty or not connected to that problematic plug-points properly. Typical effect that when you put your elbow on an appliance like fridge or stove it shocks you. Not serious but can cause damage to your PC over time.
It kinda can get serious, my friend told me he nearly got electricuted when he touched the tap for the warm water while in the bath. (since it was connected to a geyser)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Zana

Post by Zana »

Aha I had that problem too and often..

1) Do you live in a very humid area and have pets at home ?
If yes, open your power supply you would see a collection of the pet's hair that has accumulated humiidity and shorting... and all it needs is to be cleaned up and its fine.

2)If not then its the UPS / power supply itself or the wall or even the extention plug thingy.
1) first test the the wall. Plug in your main tower into the wall and see if you still getting a reading, then get another long plug extntion and see if it you still getting shocked, If not then its the plug thingy... toss it away... or open it to see what is causing the short.But not when in the wall.
If you still getting the reading then its your power supply, something is shorting it to the case.
:hug:
:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com