Server 2008 BSOD on logon

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Charger14

Server 2008 BSOD on logon

Post by Charger14 »

Hi all

I did an install of server 2008 standard for a client of mine(Domain controller, DNS, DHCP, SQL 2005 express and Terminal services) All was fine until Sunday when the guy at the client wanted to do something on the server, he saw there were some updates wanting to be installed and he let it run and restarted when asked to. Now the server starts up, but when you try and logon it bluescreens and dies.

I've tried a chkdsk and set to repair damaged sectors
You can get in through RDP but again when you login it bluescreens
Safe mode and safe mode with networking both work fine
Checked the memory, check out fine
Disabled antivirus ( going to uninstall now just to see)

The error it spits out is: STOP 0x00000024 (0x001904AA 0x9788F8D8 0x9788F5D4 0x81BBC476) Another thing is while its doing its memory dump it gets to 50% and says memory dump failed with status code 0xC000009D

Reinstall at this stage isn't really an option.
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Server 2008 BSOD on logon

Post by hamin_aus »

Charger14 wrote:All was fine until Sunday when the guy at the client wanted to do something on the server, he saw there were some updates wanting to be installed and he let it run and restarted when asked to. Now the server starts up, but when you try and logon it bluescreens and dies.
Uninstall all recent Windows updates :?:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Boot into safe mode and do a virus scan but I also agree-uninstall the updates one at a time and check so see which one causes the issue.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

boot in last known good configuration?
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

No go on last known good configuration.

Busy uninstalling patches as I go. Unfortunately they all ran on one go so there's like 30 updates from sunday. I do notice though that one update (KB950050 - Update for Hyper-V) doesn't have an uninstall button where all the rest do. THink it might be related?
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Charger14 wrote:No go on last known good configuration.

Busy uninstalling patches as I go. Unfortunately they all ran on one go so there's like 30 updates from sunday. I do notice though that one update (KB950050 - Update for Hyper-V) doesn't have an uninstall button where all the rest do. THink it might be related?
Microsoft wrote:The update to the Hyper-V role provides improvements to security, stability, performance, user experience, forward compatibility of configurations, and the programming model. All users of the Hyper-V role should apply this update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. After you have installed this update, it cannot be removed. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Server 2008 License Terms. With this update, you can now use Hyper-V in a production environment for supported configurations. Please see Windows Server 2008 Licensing and Support terms for more information.