Tools of the Trade

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Kasyx

Tools of the Trade

Post by Kasyx »

This is for those of us who spend a lot of time in the console, dealing with lusers, and generally trying to keep track of a multitude of clients and server setups without having our heads explode. This is how I accomplish it.

I work for a Linux consulting company as a sys admin. I spend a lot of time logged in to various servers around the continent, ensuring that all is well in the matrix. I generally work a lot with proxy/mail/firewall servers, as well as web servers, file servers, VPNs and IP routing, thus I deal with apps like Squid, Dan's Guardian, Samba, IP Tables, Postfix, and so on. I pretty much do everything through SSH.

Anyhow, I thought I would make a post about the apps I use for various different things that I do:

Distributions:
Right now, I run Kubuntu 7.10 on my office PC (looking at installing 8.04 when I have some spare time). Our clients' servers run SuSE, Slackware, Redhat, Gentoo or CentOS. That doesn't say much for standardization, but we often take over pre-installed servers. Our choice of server distribution at the moment is CentOS.

Terminal:
Up until around two weeks ago, I used Konsole, usually with anywhere up to 16 open tabs at any given time. However, I have recently found my salvation in a little-known app called QuadKonsole. This useful little app effectively emulates 4 or more Konsole sessions in one window (check out the screenshots in the link), which, for someone who is SSH'd 3 or more servers at any given time, pretty much makes one weep with joy.

Performance Monitoring:
Not for servers (we use Zabbix for that, btw), but for my self. I use a program called WorkRave, which monitors how much time I effectively spend active on my pc. It keeps track of keystrokes, mouse clicks, mouse movement and breaks taken. It is supposed to be used to force one to take short breaks to prevent RSI and over-straining oneself, however I use it to ensure that I get enough work done: I try to average 20,000 keystrokes a day (side note: since I installed QuadKonsole, my average keystrokes has jumped up to 30,000), if I do any less than that, it was either a slow day, or I wasn't working hard enough.

Calendar/Tasks/Reminders:
I take a lot of calls/emails during the day from clients asking me to do stuff/remove stuff/add stuff/unbreak stuff on their servers, and I have found that the easiest way to keep track of all my tasks is, to this day, pen and paper; I have a "Lion Brand" notepad and Bic pen on my desk, where I write down all tasks/info under that particular day's date, and then tick off each task as I complete it. This has the added benefit of me being able to go back and check the details of something I did on a client's server when they query/complain about it. I also tend to make extensive use of Knotes on my laptop, which is a quick and easy place to keep any info I may need on the road.

For my calendar (to keep track of meetings, etc.) I use Sunbird, which I find does what I need very effectively.

For reminders, though somewhat old-school, I use good old crontab. If I need to be reminded to do something (set up an autoreply for a client, check a backup, call someone at a particular time, etc.), I just throw it in my crontab and have it email me when the time comes:

Code: Select all

30 8 5 5 1 echo "This is a reminder to do x for y" | mail -s "Reminder: do x for y" kasyx@foo.bar
There is probably a way easier method, but this one works for me.

Browser:

I was using Opera (because Firefox ran like crap on Linux), however I have now switched to Firefox 3 RC1; the newest version of the popular browser I am trying to convince to father my children. I love you, Firefox 3.

Email:
Thunderbird, obviously :D

Text Editor/Scripting:
For writing bash scripts and such, I have found my true love in Kate; it does exactly what I need, how I need it and it makes me exceptionally happy in my pants when I use it. For my console editor, redicule me as you must, I choose Pico, although I am well-acquainted with vi for those occasions that Pico/Nano is not installed.

Office Suite:
I rarely require the use of an Office Suite, although I have been known to make the occasional spreadsheet. Obviously, I use OpenOffice.org.

Virtualisation:
Unfortunately, I still occasionally have to deal with Windows lusers, mainly assisting them with setting their browser to use a proxy, or configuring their email client to use our mail server. When talking a client through these sorts of neuro-surgical procedures, I find it necessary to have the application I am talking them through in front of me (because who wants to memorize all the clicking of menus, and Next buttons...). To solve this, I use VirtualBox, a virtualisation application (similar to VMWare) which allows me to run Windows XP seamlessly virtualized within KDE (oh yeah!), thus allowing me to click my way through set up wizards in IE and Outlook when the need arises without having to kick the receptionist off her XP machine to check the correct menu options.

If the thought of having an XP install seamlessly integrated into KDE left your pants barely dry, then fear not, for I shall be writing a howto at some point in the not-too-distant future. Aren't you lucky?

---

That's pretty much everything I make use of in day to day life, some of which may be useful to you. I realise OpenOffice, Thunderbird and so on aren't really "sys admin" tools per se, however I figured I would just mention all the apps I make use of on a regular basis when I am working. Let me know if I left anything out, or if you are curious about any apps I have mentioned.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Tools of the Trade

Post by Anthro »

Another knowledgeable member joins the Linux clan.. welcome
Hoe you enjoy the stay... and PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS..
Temporary Absence
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

I only feed trolls when they do entertaining tricks.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I don't like using nano, prefer vim. Also vi trough a putty session on ubuntu 7.10 had a lot of issues for me.

Something else that is a must have is Wireshark, if anything is acting strange a packetsniff is always good to have.
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

I'm also really a fan of nmap, which covers a lot of other bases when it comes to network issues.

Check out movies in which nmap has been used - makes for an interesting read.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

mmm. Tricks you say? :twisted:

Don't worry, I promise to behave. I have to do some work on a RedHat machine this week and if I incite a Windows vs Linux flame fest I think the dreaded thing hippies call karma will get me when it comes down to the crunch.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tools of the Linux Trade:
Anthropoid
Nuke