19 year old commits suicide on live webcam

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

19 year old commits suicide on live webcam

Post by DeathStrike »

Here's a story nobody likes to see. 19-year-old Abraham K. Biggs overdosed on pills on a live webcam stream before hundreds of people on Wednesday night, all while commenters on Justin.tv and bodybuilding.com encouraged him, apparently thinking it was some kind of joke. He lay passed out on his webcam for hours until he appeared to stop breathing, at which point the people watching realized it was no joke.

Sadly, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Followers of internet lore are surely familiar with Brandon "I told u I was hardcore" Vedas, who overdosed on drugs live on a webcam after having given his personal information out to the viewers in case something went wrong. All were too afraid to get in trouble to call the authorities.

There's definitely something about being on the internet that makes you feel cut off from and not responsible for the people you're dealing with (see: YouTube commenters), but when you're watching a real, live human on video doing something obviously damaging to themselves, it's completely inexcusable to do nothing. And to egg them on, well, that's something those people will have to deal with on their own. A sad story all around.
LINK

Sad that the kid died cos a bunch of idiots didn't take the guy seriously.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: 19 year old commits suicide on live webcam

Post by D3PART3D »

That's just morbid... :(
There's definitely something about being on the internet that makes you feel cut off from and not responsible for the people you're dealing with
QFT. I think it's idiotic that people don't realise that people on the internet are still people.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DeathStrike wrote:Sad that the kid died cos a bunch of idiots didn't take the guy seriously.
No, he died because he was being stupid. It's not the viewers' fault that he decided to off himself.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
DeathStrike wrote:Sad that the kid died cos a bunch of idiots didn't take the guy seriously.
No, he died because he was being stupid. It's not the viewers' fault that he decided to off himself.
DJV, people who commit suicide aren't always just n00bz who take the easy way out, I used to think that too, but chemical imbalances in people's brains are more common than you'd think - people can't just always will themselves out depression.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Attention seeker
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Apparently he was a major troll which is why people didn't take him seriously.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

An hero who died for the lulz....
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

D3PART3D wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
DJV, people who commit suicide aren't always just n00bz who take the easy way out, I used to think that too, but chemical imbalances in people's brains are more common than you'd think - people can't just always will themselves out depression.
No no no, i know that, but that's not the point of my post. DS's post suggested that it was everyone else's fault, and not the kid's fault, which is untrue :)
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Hectic.I have no mercy for people like that.Its stupid.Hes going to straight to hell.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

justinufo wrote:Hectic.I have no mercy for people like that.Its stupid.Hes going to straight to hell.
+1
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

jamin_za wrote:An hero who died for the lulz....
Lul.........Sorry but i had 2 !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

justinufo wrote:Hectic.I have no mercy for people like that.Its stupid.Hes going to straight to hell.
Hmm, that's pretty harsh...

I guess according to the Bible you do hey? I feel terribly sorry for people who are depressed enough to actually commit suicide, although it seems a pretty selfish thing to do. I've felt crap, but never THAT crap.

Urgh.
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

No.Suicides pointless dude.Only cowards take the easy way out.What did he prove?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

justinufo wrote:No.Suicides pointless dude.Only cowards take the easy way out.What did he prove?
While i do agree that suicide is stupid and pointless, it's not really your place to condemn the guy.

I'm pretty certain that you've never been at a place in your life where it felt like death is the only way to take away whatever it is that you're experiencing. Once you've been through that, we'll talk again ;)

I, personally, have never been through anything as crazy, and as a result, i cannot truly understand what people like that go through. But i'm certain that life can get SO bad for some people that it feels like you'd rather not live that live your life. I'm certain that that feeling is something that can occur, and as such, suicide isn't all that much of a surprise. It's sad, man, and i pray that people like that in similar situations will weather the storm instead of just giving up.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

justinufo wrote:No.Suicides pointless dude.Only cowards take the easy way out.What did he prove?
People can have a medical problem called clinical depression. There brain chemicals have an imbalance which causes them to become suicidal and it can get so bad that they kill themselves. If this was the case with this kid, he might have been sick in which case it wasn't preventable without help. Saying that he deserves to go to hell is a terrible thing to say (if he had some sort of medical or psychological condition). It's almost like saying someone deserves to go to hell because they got cancer.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

pienkie wrote:
Hmm, that's pretty harsh...

I guess according to the Bible you do hey? I feel terribly sorry for people who are depressed enough to actually commit suicide, although it seems a pretty selfish thing to do. I've felt crap, but never THAT crap.

Urgh.
My feeling is he pulled this stunt to attract attention. (I have never heard of a clinically depressed person 'boasting' about committing suicide)
Last edited by Monty on 21 Nov 2008, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Hex_Rated wrote:
People can have a medical problem called clinical depression. There brain chemicals have an imbalance which causes them to become suicidal and it can get so bad that they kill themselves
Sounds like my ex.lol
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

The Bible says nothing about going to hell for suicide. It is a sin though, obviously.

- Elon Musk
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

D3PART3D wrote:The Bible says nothing about going to hell for suicide. It is a sin though, obviously.
Doesn't it have something about taking a life - even your own - is murder? And you know the whole 'eye for an eye' thing going? I know this isn't the religious debating thread, but I've wondered about this before.
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

You should kill yourself and find out :lol:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It says you can't enter heaven because you have a mortal sin on your soul but it doesn't say you'll go to hell. You'll be excluded.

That's why there's so many ghosts. :P
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

pienkie wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:The Bible says nothing about going to hell for suicide. It is a sin though, obviously.
Doesn't it have something about taking a life - even your own - is murder? And you know the whole 'eye for an eye' thing going? I know this isn't the religious debating thread, but I've wondered about this before.
Well, I don't know. What I do know is that other people who have committed murder have been forgiven (eg. Moses) and that we don't do the eye-for-an-eye thing anymore, Jesus changed all of that. (Lol, imagine if we all got half of what we deserved... :shock: )

There are people in the Bible who have committed suicide but there is nothing about what their punishment is. Maybe because Judas committed suicide we should assume they went to hell. :dontknow:

Where is Stuart when you need him? He'd know this stuff.

- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hex_Rated, O RLY? :lol:

There is some really interesting stuff by Thomas Aquinas on the subject... busy reading that now. God bless Aristotle's legacy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jamin_za, Your best sig yet! ROFL!

- Elon Musk
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
While i do agree that suicide is stupid and pointless, it's not really your place to condemn the guy.

I'm pretty certain that you've never been at a place in your life where it felt like death is the only way to take away whatever it is that you're experiencing. Once you've been through that, we'll talk again ;)

I, personally, have never been through anything as crazy, and as a result, i cannot truly understand what people like that go through. But i'm certain that life can get SO bad for some people that it feels like you'd rather not live that live your life. I'm certain that that feeling is something that can occur, and as such, suicide isn't all that much of a surprise. It's sad, man, and i pray that people like that in similar situations will weather the storm instead of just giving up.
It may happen that sometimes, some people are trapped in what they perceive to be a hopeless, vicous cycle, where the only way of getting off the roundabout appears to be self-destruction.

I would be interested to know whether suicides are less common among those who adhere to some or other faith.....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Prime

Post by Prime »

Um and i suppose you aren't a coward for sitting behind a computer screen and anonymously condemning other people for stuff you clearly don't understand. :roll:

I can't comment for toher people but i tried once. I don't remember quite why i tried, but i do remember that feeling that i was all alone and didn't have the will to carry on, that i didn't feel any need for self preservation. :|

And i'll leave my views on religion out of this :wink: