PCF December Mag....

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Jonboy

Re: PCF December Mag....

Post by Jonboy »

To sum up this entire argument in one word....

meh
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

VinceThePrince wrote:Urban... I will use the reply I posted earlier for W1kid... When the last bout of language changes were occurring, I am 100% sure there were groups of people who felt that using the word "You" as opposed to "thou or thee" was blasphemous, and was pointing to the utter degredation of the English language... yet, should you use "thou" or "thee" in a sentence outside of reciting an old church hymn, you will be ridiculed and laughed at...

All of these idea(l)s (Stuart, W1kid, Urban, myself) are very much food for thought... Fight it, go with it, stand back and watch... as long as we do something.. :D
"You" is a word, with an actual meaning, dating back to before 900BC. "noob" is a shortening of Newbie, which was a coined term in the 20th century.

I have no issue with people coining terms or phrases, so long as it doesn't detract from the form of the language.

I may be wrong, but the way I see it is this: If you want an educated nation, speak your language properly.

When I see gangsters on TV going "'Sup homey, wass cracking dawg?" I don't get the impression that we're dealing with the uberintellectual crowd. Same goes for the Mag - if you use the mag as a source of info, and find it's opinions on things IT related to be vaild, great. It becomes a little harder to do that when the language in the magazine becomes adolescent.
to ápeiro anima
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

The use of the word noob, in the right context, will not subtract or add much to the context of the article I am reading in the magazine... as long as I know what it means. IMO the content of the article is the criteria on which I will judge the worth of the magazine, rather than the subtle and limited use of popular slang.

edit: @UrBaN ... your statement about the origin of the word "you"... proof?
Last edited by thEnaileDonE on 01 Dec 2008, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

VinceThePrince wrote:See.... NooB came up in an actual sentence depicting my obvious lack of knowledge on the dating and predating of the english language... Am I now grossly offended? No... Am I going to sue the PCF Forum site (not that I could) because the word 'Noob' was used in reference to myself?
Erm, no, because this is the forum, not the magazine. The magazine is the one that comes with the glossy coverbabe and the paper inside.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
edit: @UrBaN ... your statement about the origin of the word "you"... proof?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you
bef. 900; ME; OE ēow (dat., acc. of gē ye 1 ); c. OFris ju, OS iu, D u, OHG iu, eu
to ápeiro anima
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

:D
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

VinceThePrince wrote: :D
Good retort! :P
to ápeiro anima
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

UrBaN wrote:
bef. 900; ME; OE ēow (dat., acc. of gē ye 1 ); c. OFris ju, OS iu, D u, OHG iu, eu
Wow... that string of characters make about as much sense as most 1337 5p3@k...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UrBaN wrote:
VinceThePrince wrote: :D
Good retort! :P
Th4t 15 n0t 4 r3t0rt, n00b ... TH15 15 4 r3t0rt ... :smack:
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

Lol @ Stuart...

I chose not to right another pager to explain what I have already explained... The last line I used in my previous worded post was the end of my defence...

"All of these idea(l)s (Stuart, W1kid, Urban, myself) are very much food for thought... Fight it, go with it, stand back and watch... as long as we do something... :D "
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

VinceThePrince wrote:Lol @ Stuart...

I chose not to right another pager to explain what I have already explained... The last line I used in my previous worded post was the end of my defence...

"All of these idea(l)s (Stuart, W1kid, Urban, myself) are very much food for thought... Fight it, go with it, stand back and watch... as long as we do something... :D "
Let's stand back and watch. Then, as soon as Nab sticks his head in to give his opinion, we can all flame him. :twisted:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
UrBaN wrote:
Wow... that string of characters make about as much sense as most 1337 5p3@k...
Before 900; Middle English; Old english; (Pronunciation - eow)

Stuart, :smack: use the 13375p34k again and I'm going to feed your dogs laxatives :lol:
to ápeiro anima
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I agree with Stu&Urban, the magazine has always tried to be a professional magazine. And if you start accepting internet speak then you might as well accept bad grammer and spelling mistakes because they both go hand in hand :wink:.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UrBaN wrote:Stuart, :smack: use the 13375p34k again and I'm going to feed your dogs laxatives :lol:
Dogs? I only have one ... that I know of. Who are you calling a dog, young man? Image
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Post by Drakonis »

I went away for a day and this thing turned into a language debate and grew three extra pages...
I am the mostly guilty party with regards to the forum-speak creeping in and will have to take the blame on that. Having said that, I still reckon that there are places in the magazine that these words can be used. I would not go so far as to plop the word n00b into the middle of a highly technical piece (unless I've already done so, in which case I'll be shot shortly) but there are... fun sections that I think we can slip these words by in.
Maybe I'm wrong there, in which case I'll be hearing about it very soon.

But, like it or not, you're all talking about it...

EDIT: BTW Stuart, I got your Reader Survey... I could kind of spot that it was yours for some reason... :)
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Drakonis wrote:EDIT: BTW Stuart, I got your Reader Survey... I could kind of spot that it was yours for some reason... :)
You could? :whistling:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Drakonis wrote:I went away for a day and this thing turned into a language debate and grew three extra pages...
I am the mostly guilty party with regards to the forum-speak creeping in and will have to take the blame on that. Having said that, I still reckon that there are places in the magazine that these words can be used. I would not go so far as to plop the word n00b into the middle of a highly technical piece (unless I've already done so, in which case I'll be shot shortly) but there are... fun sections that I think we can slip these words by in.
Maybe I'm wrong there, in which case I'll be hearing about it very soon.

But, like it or not, you're all talking about it...

EDIT: BTW Stuart, I got your Reader Survey... I could kind of spot that it was yours for some reason... :)
I can agree to an extent, if you have an obviously relaxed/informal/spam section of the Mag (the last page is like that, really) then the words being used there would be acceptable, within limits.

I think we should blame the whole thing on Grandma's Boy.
to ápeiro anima
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

UrBaN, k, thx! ... Doh!

I mean: "Okay, thank you."
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

@Stuart Yeah, just a little... obvious, it was :D

EDIT
@Urban We could blame him if you really like.. :roll:
I don't know if I could live with tha... Wait, on second thought, I probably could
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Drakonis wrote:@Stuart Yeah, just a little... obvious, it was :D
I think I should win something ... just for being consistent. ;)
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

UrBaN wrote:I think we should blame the whole thing on Grandma's Boy.
OT Rather blame Marc... (Do a search on facebook for a group called "I blame Marc.") :lol:
Last edited by thEnaileDonE on 01 Dec 2008, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

I agree with what Drakonis said... and is what I was implying in my first *rant*... Labelling an article in the mag with nOOb somewhere in the title/article itself will help me to identify with it, as I am in most cases still a n00b...

Everything in it's place... but atleast let's have the space where geek speak can be used... after all... if you read the forums, you will be able to read the mag... :D
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

Stuart, I don't know if we give prizes for consistency... Erratic behavior seems to score higher with the judge's panel

UrBaN, I should actually blame the memes, since they may have altered my DNA. KB is mostly innocent here...

Vince, I don't know if we should be label any section as being for n00bs, besides the little n00bs Up section. If you read PCF you are, by definition, not a n00b. A newb perhaps, since that implies hope for the future. A n00b is that eleven year old kid online who swears at everyone on the COD4 server (you know, that kid we all hope will never be allowed to reproduce?)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

VinceThePrince wrote:I agree with what Drakonis said... and is what I was implying in my first *rant*... Labelling an article in the mag with nOOb somewhere in the title/article itself will help me to identify with it, as I am in most cases still a n00b...

Everything in it's place... but atleast let's have the space where geek speak can be used... after all... if you read the forums, you will be able to read the mag... :D
There is that one article called "Noob corner" or something, I am fine with that.

It was the "WTF" in the one title and something else I forget offhand.

That said, these are simply opinions of some forumites, that's not to say we are correct, simply voicing our opinions.

I still think we should blame KB, that way this whole argument will result in something meaningful (KB getting TKd in COD4 or similar) :lol:
to ápeiro anima
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Drakonis wrote: UrBaN, I should actually blame the memes, since they may have altered my DNA. KB is mostly innocent here...
Fair enough. We will let KB off the hook for this one.
As for the memes...pure awesomeness! I was reading the one article, it was so funny. If you are a noob, it will mean absolutely nothing to you. If you're not, it's hilarious.

10 points for joo!
to ápeiro anima