Carte Blache - Audi & VW shock

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Carte Blache - Audi & VW shock

Post by ryanrich »

Ooooh Type-R in red = teh seksie! :twisted:
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

ryanrich wrote:Ooooh Type-R in red = teh seksie! :twisted:

I dont know.. Sometimes it looks hot in red. Other times it looks plane and dull??

Here it looks hot!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/ne ... review.htm
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

ryanrich wrote:That being said though, my next car is almost certainly going to be an E46 M3, so back to BMW for me. :mrgreen:
B4stard! I'm still contemplating it but it's probably the last on my list (330d > 135i > E46 M3)... What about motorplan, etc? There are some good deals out there but because motorplan only lasts 5 years you gotta get at least a 2005 model for it to be viable IMO.

I see the facelift E90 is out as well, looks good from pics.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Belix

Post by Belix »

ryanrich wrote:Well, clearly you've had bad service and that has now affected your objectivity. I've only ever had excellent service from my Audi dealers...

That being said though, my next car is almost certainly going to be an E46 M3, so back to BMW for me. :mrgreen:
Ryan, either you change cars damn often, or I change cars far to infrequently... :P

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hex_Rated wrote:
ryanrich wrote:That being said though, my next car is almost certainly going to be an E46 M3, so back to BMW for me. :mrgreen:
B4stard! I'm still contemplating it but it's probably the last on my list (330d > 135i > E46 M3)... What about motorplan, etc? There are some good deals out there but because motorplan only lasts 5 years you gotta get at least a 2005 model for it to be viable IMO.

I see the facelift E90 is out as well, looks good from pics.
Yeah it's not the most practical car, but I've always wanted an ///M and am finding it increasingly difficult to stop myself buying one. :lol:

I'll definitely miss my TDI's consumption that's for sure.

If I lived up in Gauteng I would most likely go for the 135i/335i because they're quicker than the M3's up there. There's just something about an ///M though, it's such a purpose built machine, driving one is like nothing else.

Will definitely be looking at 2005 models, or at the very least 2004. Up until about the middle of 2003 there were issues with the connecting rod bottom-end bearing shells of the S54 engine because of parts supplied to BMW from a 3rd party supplier not being up to standard. This was rectified on all models built after 06/2003 and most were recalled anyway, but better safe than sorry.

Hmmm motorplan. I'm already considering mods so motorplan won't last too long anyway, hehe.
A turbo conversion from Savspeed sounds good. 350kW and over 500nm at the wheels, 12.2 sec 1/4 mile sounds good... :twisted:

Belix: Yeah I have had quite a few cars the past 4 years. Mainly due to problems forcing me to trade though. I had to sell my BMW because after the accident it was just never the same again so got tired of trying to get it right again. My GTI gave me endless problems with jerking and surging which also couldn't be fixed after replacing everything short of the turbo. My Audi is the only car that hasn't given me a single problem yet. Will be sad to see her go when the time finally comes. In fact I wish I could keep the Audi and get an M3 as a project car, but my money tree is out of bloom... :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Damn, I just realised one of the problems with owning an ///M is the insurance at my age, haha.

By doing a quick e-quote on Dial Direct I get R2K for comprehensive insurance, hmmm. I'm sure my broker could get a slightly better rate, but still, damn.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Yeah , my mate pays a alot for his insurance as well..

For a reason though.. That car is seriously dangerous and stupid fast...
If you dont know how to drive or disrespect the car , you going to come short..
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, everybody who buys an M car should first do the BMW Advanced Driving course as a minimum. High powered rear wheel drive cars are awesome but you need to know what you're doing.
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

That being said though, my next car is almost certainly going to be an E46 M3, so back to BMW for me.
What happened to getting an S3?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

If you're living at the coast, an M3 makes sense. I'm a fan of big normally aspirated engines and if I had the choice, a V12/V8 > V6 with mechanical aspiration. It's a personal preference and not really based on the technology, also the sound of a high revving NA car like a Ferrari is awesome! But I think my next car will be turbo charged because I live at altitude, the 20% reduction in performance is not cool. I went down to CT awhile ago and I couldn't believe the power the 1.6i rental car I was given.

I don't really want to go to diesel but I'm also contemplating it. Don't like the sound and smoke at all!

The insurance for a 24/25 year old male on an M3 will be horrendous. It's supposed to change over at 25 but it doesn't apply to high performance or expensive cars. Apparently >30 is the new age bracket for discounted insurance on those vehicles.

What sort of power are you really aiming for Ryan, as much as possible? 350kW is crazy!!! But the 252kW the M3 comes with is a good match for it's handling and breaking.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hex_Rated wrote:... mechanical aspiration ...
er...what??????? :lol:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Mechanical aspiration is supercharged or turbo charged. Anything that artificially increases the pressure inside the cylinder like a turbine or blower.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

thealluseless wrote:
That being said though, my next car is almost certainly going to be an E46 M3, so back to BMW for me.
What happened to getting an S3?
As Hex has said, if I lived up in Gauteng then it would probably be an S3 or one of the turbo charged BMW's, but down at the coast there is nothing like a nice 6 or 8 cylinder normally aspirated engine. 20% power loss at altitude FTL!

I'm used to a sedan now as well, dunno if I'd want to go back to a hatch.

Hex: Not sure about power hey. Would probably keep it stock except for changing the exhaust system. 252kW is plenty I think. The M3's handling is out of this world if you know what you're doing. I remember watching the Top Gear where they had a shootout between the RS4, C63 AMG and E92 M3. The C63 was slightly ahead in the straight drag race but around the track the M3 was 6 seconds faster!
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Its episode 10 from season 10... year 2007. I loved the episode so much (both M3 and RS4) that I downloaded the episode to watch again... and again... and again :oops:
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Awesome, you wouldn't happen to have a download link would you? I'd like to watch that one again...
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

The only place I found it was on a torrent site, and I'm not sure I'm supposed to be giving out torrent site addresses on this forum :oops:
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Oh alright, thought you maybe had a direct link. It's not illegal, I found a download place. Thanks anyway... :wink:

Final Gear
Belix

Post by Belix »

If I had a few bucks to throw at a car, I'd be hard pressed to choose between BMW and Audi at the mo. Would be nice to spend a few hours test driving a couple...sigh!

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hex_Rated wrote:Mechanical aspiration is supercharged or turbo charged. Anything that artificially increases the pressure inside the cylinder like a turbine or blower.
ahhh...never heard that phrase before. used to 'forced induction'...

you learn something new every day....
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken