Windows XP reformat help

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
mkza

Windows XP reformat help

Post by mkza »

I just did a reformat and reinstalled windows XP SP2 on my PC.

But... my other hard drive (Seagate 320GB SATA) is not recognised as being formatted anymore. During windows reinstallation, I took care to only repartition the HDD that i want to install windows on.

Is there anyway to recover the data on my secondary hard drive? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have very important documents on this hard drive.
E6600 // 2GB DDR2-800 // XFX 8800GT 512MB Extreme // P5K // Winfast TV2000 // Acer X243W (yes its a 24") // Samsung 226BW // G15 // A4tech X7

Acer Aspire 9414AWSMi
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Windows XP reformat help

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Does windows see the partition and just not mounted or is the "partition" seen as "unallocated space"?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
mkza

Post by mkza »

thanks Dae, but i got it fixed. I have no idea what I did but its woking now
E6600 // 2GB DDR2-800 // XFX 8800GT 512MB Extreme // P5K // Winfast TV2000 // Acer X243W (yes its a 24") // Samsung 226BW // G15 // A4tech X7

Acer Aspire 9414AWSMi
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

perhaps you installed windows xp and then installed sp2 after windows was installed?
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hi guys. this is probably a stupid question but i just need to make sure. my friend has windows XP Home on his pc and his got windows XP Pro CD. what he wants me to do is load XP PRO. so i want to know if its possible to upgrade his windows XP HOME to Windows XP Pro? Or do i Have to reformat. cos that is just going to take long.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

DeathStrike wrote:hi guys. this is probably a stupid question but i just need to make sure. my friend has windows XP Home on his pc and his got windows XP Pro CD. what he wants me to do is load XP PRO. so i want to know if its possible to upgrade his windows XP HOME to Windows XP Pro? Or do i Have to reformat. cos that is just going to take long.
you can upgrade.No need to reformat.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Thanx. saves alot of time. :)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Zana

Post by Zana »

DeathStrike wrote:hi guys. this is probably a stupid question but i just need to make sure. my friend has windows XP Home on his pc and his got windows XP Pro CD. what he wants me to do is load XP PRO. so i want to know if its possible to upgrade his windows XP HOME to Windows XP Pro? Or do i Have to reformat. cos that is just going to take long.
Yes you can upgrade with not having to re-format, just follow instructions on install window and its easy as pie :-)

for further info : , but if you wish to go back to XP Home you have to re-format, but you can re-install over your XP pro, but your "My documents" etc will be flushed, where the only option would be "clean" OS install, where you registery etc will be flushed to, programs and files elsewhere wont be harmed unless if you encrypted them, some programs would need to be re-installed, because of registry.
Love and hugs
enjoy in the upgrade :-)
(((hugs)))
:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com