January question for the mag

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

January question for the mag

Post by Drakonis »

Right, here goes... Maybe if I post this, Nab'll let me get back to playing Fallout..

*drum roll*

What do you think of Google Chrome thus far? (Epic win and epic fail will not count as legitimate responses)
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Re: January question for the mag

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Google Chrome is a very decent browser, its still needs some work though on the add ons side, but on the whole its a faster browser compared to IE, which coincidentally it piggybacks some of its settings off.

its not quite firefox, (yet)

:D
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

It's not quite there yet, but to be fair, it's still in beta. It definitely has potential to be right up there, but whether or not people decide that we really need another browser remains to be seen.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

it's a gimped attempt to push their shiny new toy... gears... on top of which you can pen in the targeted advertising, usage tracking and pointless add-ons....

still not offering all that much of anything not already provided for by the others and nowhere near the functionality of the current reining champ... opera :twisted:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

rustypup wrote:it's a gimped attempt to push their shiny new toy... gears... on top of which you can pen in the targeted advertising, usage tracking and pointless add-ons....

still not offering all that much of anything not already provided for by the others and nowhere near the functionality of the current reining champ... opera :twisted:
"grammar nazi invasion" ^^ :P
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Chrome is decent, only hassle comes into play with website development, as it falls under the annoying category that IE6 falls under, as certain things work fine under firefox and IE7, and in cases IE6, but then again chrome throws up issues.

its great in many ways, like the thumbnails of recently visited sites to help makes things faster, the ability to make a shortcut for a site and run it in its own window as if its a application installed on your pc, thats great.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
douglash

Post by douglash »

Firestrm wrote:
rustypup wrote:it's a gimped attempt to push their shiny new toy... gears... on top of which you can pen in the targeted advertising, usage tracking and pointless add-ons....

"grammar nazi invasion" ^^ :P
i guess Opera's built-in spell checker can't spell... LoL
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I haven't used Chrome yet. Don't want to because FF3 is just too good. I have it setup just as I like it. For me to now change to another browser is not going to happen cause it will have to work the way I want it to work and Chrome probably wont do things like I would want it to be done...
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

See my sig.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

douglash wrote:i guess Opera's built-in spell checker can't spell...
haven't installed aspell on my intrepid machine yet... :P

also, only rarely use spell checkers... those things rot the brain...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It's not as good as some make it out to be. It does its job alright, but there is nothing earth-shattering about it. I haven't found it any faster than Firefox, though many have claimed that it definitely is. I'll stick with Mozilla for now, but will watch to see if Chrome reaches its potential.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

As Samaya says - I have no desire to install a new browser on my already fully occupied system. I use FF3 and love it - love all the add-ins (yes - even the coloured tabs).

So, you are now wondering why I have the audacity to comment on a browser I have not used before...... and so you should be. I am not commenting on the browser but on the comic they produced to explain their new product. Incredibly informative and entertaining. I have learnt lots about their product and must admit I am curious. They have handled the whole thing in their usual creative and fun way, made something I knew nothing about (I use browsers - I don't study them) understandable. I do have one question however - and will perhaps look a fool for asking it (not that that will stop me though). How can they say that they are using memory efficiently, when they are still running on Windows XP and 2000 on some systems? Surely the operating system handles memory allocation? And we know that MS does not do that efficiently at all. What are they doing that suddenly makes it efficient? Are they just assuming that all users are now on Vista (I would assume that handles memory better) or Linux?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

There's nothing much to chrome apart from the blazing speed it's got. Chrome is, by far, the fastest browser i have ever used. But take away the speed, and you just have another browser.

Then again, it's only a beta (It IS still in beta right?)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I hate Chrome. It simply looks like a cheap little plastic shell. Even Safari worked better for me than that half-baked excuse for a browser. If Google wants to dominate another area, they'll definitely have to work on that thing.

I liked Opera as well, but never even used all the built in stuff. Crossed over to FF3 a few months ago and haven't looked back.

(At least all the h4xx0rs are not laughing at me anymore :shock: )

P.S. No comment on IE.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I quite like Chrome, but I'm still using Firefox 3 as my primary browser. I use Chrome as a side browser to manage different accounts, or test out other things on some of my websites and whatnot. But! Firefox Minefield seems to blast everything out of the water scoring 93/100 on the Acid test.
CNet wrote:How fast? Some claim that it has the fastest javascript engine on the planet, which means it leaves Google's Chrome browser in the dust. In my own unscientific tests, I'd say that this assertion is correct. Ars Technica pegs Minefield as 10 percent faster than Chrome.
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

I am still using Firefox. As the members above stated, I see no use in moving to untested technology. Firefox does almost all I need, saw Opera had p2p downloading in browser, if Firefox could get that; it would be the undisputed champion.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Dustman wrote:I am still using Firefox. As the members above stated, I see no use in moving to untested technology. Firefox does almost all I need, saw Opera had p2p downloading in browser, if Firefox could get that; it would be the undisputed champion.
If there's one thing I've learned it's that you can get anything for Firefox... There are about 20 gazillion add-ons out there, with another million added daily :lol:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

I love Chrome. It's very basic, but that's the whole Google theme, is it not? They have conquered the world it, so why switch it up now?

And it's blisteringly quick.
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:There's nothing much to chrome apart from the blazing speed it's got. Chrome is, by far, the fastest browser i have ever used. But take away the speed, and you just have another browser.
I'm afraid that's the majority of what I need in a browser, I've never been too keen on the billion FF add-ons to be totally honest. I like the uncluttered, straightforward feel of anything Google touches, including Chrome.

...Yeah, so I'm a fanboi...
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Tribble wrote:How can they say that they are using memory efficiently, when they are still running on Windows XP and 2000 on some systems? Surely the operating system handles memory allocation? And we know that MS does not do that efficiently at all. What are they doing that suddenly makes it efficient? Are they just assuming that all users are now on Vista (I would assume that handles memory better) or Linux?
Yes I am quoting myself - it seems that I typed too much and people have not seen the question I asked. I used a lot of words to ensure that I will never be quoted in the mag again :twisted: but I really do want this question answered please.
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

I have 4 browsers currently loaded on my desktop... (I.E, FireFox, Chrome, and Safari)

Chrome is my number is 2 browser out of the 4 (Firefox is my number 1). Reasons being:

1) It is faster than I.E., but not as stable in opening content as FF
2) FF has more descriptive error messages, should a page not open properly
3) Chrome, imho, is very much like FF-lite, but still tops I.E. and Safari hands down
4) Chrome has an awesome UI, which I like a bit more than I do FF's.

What will make Chrome my number 1:

1) The proposed features that the boys at Google are going to be setting up for it
2) The stability of page loading being resolved
3) Better end-to-end error descriptions
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

One thing I have noticed is that like people say it's fast, but I have only noticed this with java based web content. It doesn't load all websites correctly especiallly flash based sites. the settings that you are allowed to tweak are little and can be annoying but what I really like is the screenshots of bookmarked pages.
Woopee for google and thier aim at world domination OPen Source stile.
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

If the rumors of a Ad blocking plugin are true - I will gladly use Chrome more, I won't move to it.. but I do see a future in it
Firefox for the win IMO
Temporary Absence
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Take Chrome and put it under an unknown developers name and it would never have succeeded. It's only getting hype because it's made by Google.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Synthesis wrote:It's only getting hype because it's made by Google.
precisely... but then, we're living in an age where people pay exorbitant amounts of capital over each year for the privilege of wearing adverts and looking like ambulatory arguments for birth control, so don't expect commonsense to rear its unwelcome head any time soon...
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

I have used both Opera and Firefox as my default browsers (alternating obviously) for some time now ... still cannot decided which one I will end up using for good because one will always be lacking in certain 'functions' or add-ons that I enjoy in the other.

The reason for this lengthy explanation, well it has really been said already; Chrome may be pretty decent as a browser, but in today's world net browser's need to meet certain criteria, they are no longer mere access points to the internet and search engines, they are so much more.

I am sure that Chrome will be developed further to try and 'level the playing field' so to speak, but right now, for me, it just has not got enough to offer.
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.