9800GT aftermarket cooler suggestions

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
IcePick88

9800GT aftermarket cooler suggestions

Post by IcePick88 »

Good afternoon ya'll

I am looking at getting a aftermarket cooler for my EVGA 9800GT.

My temps at load are around 79 degrees and at idle around 60. Dunno if that is still ok, but it looks a bit high to me.
What coolers would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
douglash

Re: 9800GT aftermarket cooler suggestions

Post by douglash »

well, firstly - have you adjusted the fan speed using Rivatuner or similar?

Normally, if you up the fan speed to approx. 65% your temps will drop a big amount...
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yeah the fan idea will work buuuut if you really want one then, and your budget is quite large then go Zalman VF/GV-1000/LED. I've got one and it rocks, but it's a little pricey.

There is another cooler that is cheaper and performs almost as well but I karnt remember what it was.
http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/21075 ... x-neo.html
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Thanks guys!

I got EVGA Precision tool that I can adjust the fan speed. I have adjusted the fan speed to 100%. But aftermarket coolers looks so much more yummy! And I don't think the little stock fan can cool as efficiently as the aftermarket ones. :)

I had a look at the Zalman one. Actually had a look at it before I posted, but the I cannot see my GFX card in the "Compatible list". Will the cooler actually fit onto my GFX? I guess it can, seeing the Frozen mentioned it. :D

Landmark has got it for R613, which is not bad. I paid more for my CPU cooler a while back. hehe.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

From the EVGA knowledge base:
Question / Issue

Why does my EVGA graphics card run hot?

Answer / Solution

Video card temperatures typically range from 40C to 80C. Most high end video cards such as the 78xx, 79xx, 88xx series typically display temperatures 50-70C idle and up to 80C-90C at load. The heatsink and fan assemblies attached to the video cards are specifically designed to reduce temperatures as much as possible.
So it seems that my temps are still ok. I read that the guys just bump the fan speed up to about 45%. That is the sweet spot between best cooling and lowest noise.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll do the fan thing, and later if I decide to splurge, I'll buy the Zalmal cooler.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Let me just check but I'm sure it is compatible-it's essentially a redesigned 8800 GT series anyway.
douglash

Post by douglash »

as long as it's compatible with a G92 chipset, then it will fit on any of the 8800GT, 9800GT, 9800GTX or 9800GX2 varieties...

yeah, unless you want to OC the uber-crap out of the card, no need for aftermarket cooling...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

my card also runs super hot, and when its under full load i experience some graphical glitches, like shadows that occasionally flash, or smoke that has some flashing pixels in it. things like that. i can even feel my case heat up on the side next to my graphics card, it is worrying, so im gonna have to sort some extra cooling out somehow, maybe point a fan down on the card or something
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
douglash

Post by douglash »

po10cy wrote:my card also runs super hot, and when its under full load i experience some graphical glitches, like shadows that occasionally flash, or smoke that has some flashing pixels in it. things like that. i can even feel my case heat up on the side next to my graphics card, it is worrying, so im gonna have to sort some extra cooling out somehow, maybe point a fan down on the card or something
what case do you have? that gfx you have shouldn't get that hot... :?:
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

its not a fancy case, just a standard atx case with a fan in the side panel by the cpu. otherwise nothing fancy. you rate i should cut a hole in the back of the case below the gpu and place an extraction fan in there?
douglash

Post by douglash »

po10cy wrote:its not a fancy case, just a standard atx case with a fan in the side panel by the cpu. otherwise nothing fancy. you rate i should cut a hole in the back of the case below the gpu and place an extraction fan in there?
well, yeah, that would definitely help... you need to have airflow in your case, so if you could put a fan in the front (intake) and then the fan in the back (exhaust) it will create a good airflow to keep the internal temps down.. that would also help to cool the card alot... but then consider not having a fan on the side of the case then... what cpu cooler do you have?

but for starters, the fan in the back is a great start... you'll notice temps drop a bit i can imagine...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

cpu cooler i have is also the stock cpu cooler that came with the core2...

yeah i have spare fans, ill put the side panel fan again by the back of the case and place some fans up front. shot!
douglash

Post by douglash »

po10cy wrote:cpu cooler i have is also the stock cpu cooler that came with the core2...

yeah i have spare fans, ill put the side panel fan again by the back of the case and place some fans up front. shot!
yeah, that's a good idea... the side fan normally just disrupts airflow through the case... but if you have intake(front) it moves through the case, picks up the hot air from the cpu and gpu and exhausts (back) it...

let us know how the temps improve... oh, btw - put the stronger fan at the back as the exhaust...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

cool shot for the tips. should make a big difference.
douglash

Post by douglash »

np dude... enjoy!!

btw - when FRAG comes down to PE to host a big event, you coming??
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

dude when frag comes to PE im comming and im bringing a army of hungry gamers with me lol
douglash

Post by douglash »

po10cy wrote:dude when frag comes to PE im comming and im bringing a army of hungry gamers with me lol
That's awesome... then keep an eye out... we're coming there soon... planning is in stage and should hopefully be within the first quarter of next year...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

perfect! ill start practicing lol
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

CONCLUSIONS

The Accelero Twin Turbo did exactly what I expected from a great manufacturer like Artic Cooling. This GPU cooler kept my Hd4870 card cool and not only did it do that very well, it lightened up the total wieght of the video card itself. Also, it quietened down the video card fans. Installation of the Twin Turbo was real simple. It was not overly complictated and the instructions were very precise on what to do at what step and how to do that step (for instance, with my HD4870 I had to leave one memory sink off).

I couldn't find any real flaws with this product. So I will only point out things I felt Arctic Cooling can improve upon. Instead of putting the thermal paste on the GPU cooler's base, I would like to have a tube of thermal paste included. This way, if we need to do a few test fittings, we would not waste a lot of good thermal paste. Also, there's the PSU fan adapter. I feel that these fans ran extremly quiet while they were being fed 12 volts. I personally don't like crossing my 5 volt and 12 volt lines to make 7 volts. Arctic Cooling could have included a fan controller to control the fan speeds. With the Actic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo having a pricepoint of around 40 U.S. dollars, that makes this product very attractive.
Pros:

+Light Wieght Design

+Easy to Understand Instructions

+Quiet Fan's
Cons:

-The adapter crossing 12volt and 5volt to make 7 volt's

-Thermal paste not in a tube

Final Score: 9 out of 10 and the Bjorn3D Seal of Approval
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1388&pageID=5638
R349.00@digitaladdiction.co.za
Fits 9800GT.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Conclusions

In our tests with a Radeon HD 4870 Accelero Twin Turbo achieved a performance worst than ATI’s stock cooler when we connected the reviewed cooler to the standard fan connector available on the video card (the temperature of the air being thrown out of the system dropped dramatically, however, from 63º C to 51º C). So we recommend you to connect the reviewed cooler directly to the system power supply.

You have two options when connecting Accelero Twin Turbo to the power supply: +7 V (lower fan speed and thus lower noise level) or +12 V (higher fan speed and thus higher noise level). At +7 V Accelero Twin Turbo was a little bit better than ATI’s stock cooler, but if you are really worried about temperature you should run this product at +12 V, where it lower the GPU temperature by 15º C, memory temperature by 12º C and the hot air being thrown out of the system by amazing 26º C. The heatsink was running 11º C cooler than the heatsink from the stock cooler, which is nice.

It is always important to remember that these results were achieved with a Radeon HD 4870, a GPU that is famous to heat a lot. You may get better results with different video cards.

The only thing we really didn’t like about this product is that after installing it our video card was now taking three slots from the motherboard and case, covering the second PCI Express x16 slot from our motherboard. This was a real bummer, since we originally had two video cards installed.

So if you have an SLI or a CrossFire system forget about this cooler. It will prevent you from installing your second video card. If you are running a single-VGA system, however, Accelero Twin Turbo may be a good option.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/630/5
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Awesome! Thanks Frozen
Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

I have a XFX 8800GT Alpha dog edition that is running a little too hot for my liking (load 92C) and the whining of the fan is also getting to me a bit. There are artifacts on the screen when it gets hot and I have decided to take the plunge and get an aftermarket cooler for it.

Now are there any 8800GT owners here who specifically have this cooler fitted..thoughts......temps? Also did you have to purchase additional cooling components..additional heatsinks?

It retails roughly for about R450 atm and Im not willing to spend any more on it TBH. So suggestions and input are most welcome.
Thanks
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Zenbaas

Post by Zenbaas »

Sorry man what exactly are you trying to link to...? :? The Zalman cooler, review of the Accelero s1...?
?
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Both.
So suggestions and input are most welcome.
I will see what I can find about this particular cooler you are looking at.