Formatting XP Questions

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
JustIce91

Formatting XP Questions

Post by JustIce91 »

So I will be formatting my PC for the first time tomorrow for the first time (About time!). So I have backed up my docs, address book, and program set ups.

Now I was looking at the CDs that came with my computer, the XP SP2 is a mecer recovery CD. Will this make any difference to the way I go about formatting?

Then I see I also have my gigabyte CD which includes "Display drivers" and Power DVD. I have downloaded newer drivers (currently 169.) but do I still need to install this first? And then I also have my mobo "chipset support" cd. Does this also need to be installed? Doesnt windows install the essential drivers itself?

So what is the order? Format, Install XP, and then install chipset drivers and then graphics drivers or what? And where in this order should I install SP3?

Another question, will my wireless keyboard and mouse be ok during the installation? (Although I only need the keyboard) Or do I need to use a wired keyboard? Or is that irrelevant?

Please help!
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Formatting XP Questions

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

JustIce91 wrote:Now I was looking at the CDs that came with my computer, the XP SP2 is a mecer recovery CD. Will this make any difference to the way I go about formatting?
Nope, it'll be pretty much exactly the same ;)

JustIce91 wrote:Then I see I also have my gigabyte CD which includes "Display drivers" and Power DVD. I have downloaded newer drivers (currently 169.) but do I still need to install this first?
No. You can just go ahead and install the newest one.
JustIce91 wrote:And then I also have my mobo "chipset support" cd. Does this also need to be installed?
Yep.
JustIce91 wrote:Doesnt windows install the essential drivers itself?
Nope. If windows had drivers for every single chipset and board out there, the installer would be massive.

JustIce91 wrote:So what is the order? Format, Install XP, and then install chipset drivers and then graphics drivers or what? And where in this order should I install SP3?
That order is fine, but do SP3 FIRST, immediately after installing XP.
JustIce91 wrote:Another question, will my wireless keyboard and mouse be ok during the installation? (Although I only need the keyboard) Or do I need to use a wired keyboard? Or is that irrelevant?
Sheesh, i haven't used a wireless Desktop in years, but my wireless mouse works perfectly during install, so you should be okay :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.