Ubuntu 8.10 released!

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released!

Post by ryanrich »

Well a lot has been ironed out with 8.10, but I still have lots of issues, mainly due to the poor ATI support.

I also have problems opening certain web pages in Ubuntu, but as soon as I boot into Windows they open perfectly.

Vista is still tops for me, but I'll keep playing around in Ubuntu and praying for better support from hardware manufacturers...
Liet_Kynes

Post by Liet_Kynes »

StarPhoenix wrote:Purdy! Real Purdy.....but is the 3D Rectangle wossname practical?
Is it practical? The desktop cube is one of the reasons I now feel crippled on a windows desktop. Especially the scale plugin. Switching to a window on any desktop quickly is as easy as tapping some keys (or a few clicks if you're that way inclined). It totally uncluttered my desktop as I can have related tasks on one desktop.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

looking good GB , i got it installed but have yet to set it up, mabee tomorrow morning , when im done I'll post some screenies

Oh and BTW , does anyone know of a place where i can DL Xubuntu localy??? no torrents
Liet_Kynes

Post by Liet_Kynes »

Fish_man wrote: Oh and BTW , does anyone know of a place where i can DL Xubuntu localy??? no torrents
It's strange. I just checked ftp://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za and they don't mirror xubuntu only kubuntu and edubuntu.

You can also install the xubuntu-desktop metapackage in synaptic on another *buntu if you have it.

EDIT: Found one http://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za/ubuntu-cdima ... 0/release/ or
http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubun ... 0/release/
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Thanks man , downloaded it .............gonna install it tonight on a old low spec Pentuim 3 laptop here at work.....
Mow

Post by Mow »

Guys anyone notice a few bugs in 8.10 ?

Some peeps ( like me ) are having a shutdown bug where the box doest actually shot down or reboot because the sounds drivers cant be killed.
Also , on 8.10 i just cant get wine to work. ( Not that i use it much but it wont go ).
The network manager supports pptp vpbn but you still need to run sudo apt-get install network-manager-pptp to get vpn support . OK not a bug but a slight oversight . But here is comes .... Once you set up the vpn you cant save the password becaus if you do the nm cant collect the data so you have to enter username and password each time you logon.

Any bugs you guys found ?
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Liet_Kynes

Post by Liet_Kynes »

Mow wrote:Guys anyone notice a few bugs in 8.10 ?

Some peeps ( like me ) are having a shutdown bug where the box doest actually shot down or reboot because the sounds drivers cant be killed.
Also , on 8.10 i just cant get wine to work. ( Not that i use it much but it wont go ).
The network manager supports pptp vpbn but you still need to run sudo apt-get install network-manager-pptp to get vpn support . OK not a bug but a slight oversight . But here is comes .... Once you set up the vpn you cant save the password becaus if you do the nm cant collect the data so you have to enter username and password each time you logon.

Sadly I have been forced into windows too much lately (Darn Visual Studio). I did notice the shutdown bug though (strange that it hasn't been addressed via update).

The one thing I have an issue with is with the nm-applet. After setting my wireless network card on my first boot it has now disappeared. Whenever I have to connect to wireless I have to set it up manually using iwconfig.

Like I said haven't had much time to really dig around.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

same here did not have mush time to play around with it.................installing Xubuntu 8.1 now on a old lappy will let u know how that goes
pH@tE

Post by pH@tE »

Mow wrote:Guys anyone notice a few bugs in 8.10 ?

I second the shutdown bug...The only way i get it to shutdown is by switching to another console (alt shift F1-F6) and typing the force shutdown command.

The guys at ubuntu say its a bug in the ALSA sound drivers, but so far there's been no update fix.

Another thing, gnome-bluetooth no longer works, and neither does my bluetooth mouse, which is, as you can imagine, a major shlep.
If anyone knows a way to fix this, it would be much appreciated. :)
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

does anyone have Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.0??? or know of a local mirror ....no torrents???
fbman

Post by fbman »

Fishman

You can order the DVD from http://www.fosscds.co.za/index.php

The costs are not that high about R38 plus shipping. It saves you the download.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Fish_man wrote:does anyone have Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.0??? or know of a local mirror ....no torrents???
No local mirrors for UE as of yet... Your best bet would be to download the torrent and pray that theres an SA peer seeding the file....
Also, I've tried downloading 2.0 and the mirrors are bogged down heavy days...
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

thanks guys , i'll think about http://www.fosscds.co.za/index.php!!!! paying for linux just seem wrong ......I mean come on does a DVD cost R38???
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Meh! The normal PCF theme looks absolutely yucky in Ubuntu, because of the font. It's hard to read. If I copy my windows fonts over to Ubuntu, will things start looking better?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Mow

Post by Mow »

D3PART3D wrote:Meh! The normal PCF theme looks absolutely yucky in Ubuntu, because of the font. It's hard to read. If I copy my windows fonts over to Ubuntu, will things start looking better?

Dude , just change your system fonts under appearance , there must be atleast one font you like.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Fish_man wrote:thanks guys , i'll think about http://www.fosscds.co.za/index.php!!!! paying for linux just seem wrong ......I mean come on does a DVD cost R38???
You're paying for the service and shipping as well as the media. Not bad IMO.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Impressive!

:thumbleft:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

FYI

the 3G support, works Great.....my Huawei E220 USB modem, on MTN network works first time around no hassle, only thing I would like to see is bandwidth meter and maybe a signal strength bar.

Anyone know of a cool bandwidth meter in ubuntu