Mac OS X versus Vista, RAM division

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
shiv

Mac OS X versus Vista, RAM division

Post by shiv »

=============================================
As I noted earlier this week, I’ve begun using a MacBook (the basic white model) and keeping a log of my experiences.

Yesterday, I received the adapter cable I needed to hook this machine to an external monitor so that I could use it in a desktop configuration. (A note to the thrifty: Don’t pay Apple $29 for this mini-DVI cable. Instead, go to Monoprice.com and pick up the generic adapter for $9.96. With shipping, it was still under $12, and it works just fine.)

Now that I have this system up and running on a full-sized screen, I’m ready to make some head-to-head comparisons with Windows. Because this system has a mere 1GB of RAM, I was curious to get a sense of how thrifty OS X Leopard is when it comes to memory usage. I was especially curious to see how Leopard compares to Vista, which as been slammed by critics as a resource hog.

To get started I opened Safari and opened a single web page, then began playing an MP3 track in iTunes. With those tasks running, I checked the results from Activity Monitor.

As you can see, the OS reports that 581MB is in use, with 430MB free.

Next, I launched a similar set of tasks on a system running Windows Vista Ultimate. To make the comparison fair, I used the System Configuration utility to disable all but 1024MB of memory in the system, which has 4GB of RAM. This system is using the full Aero interface (disabling it had no significant impact on the RAM footprint). I opened Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer, began playing the same MP3 tune and browsed to the same page that was open on the Macbook. Here’s what Task Manager showed for memory usage.

For those keeping score, the Vista machine is using 594MB of RAM, which is roughly 2% more than its Mac counterpart running the same set of tasks.

Vista gets a bad rap for lots of things, including its reputedly voracious appetite for memory. As you can see, Vista compares favorably to OS X in this regard and doesn’t deserve that reputation.

source: blogs.zdnet.com
====================================

Hehe, interesting...
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Mac OS X versus Vista, RAM division

Post by Bladerunner »

shiv wrote:=============================================
As I noted earlier this week, I’ve begun using a MacBook (the basic white model) and keeping a log of my experiences.

Yesterday, I received the adapter cable I needed to hook this machine to an external monitor so that I could use it in a desktop configuration. (A note to the thrifty: Don’t pay Apple $29 for this mini-DVI cable. Instead, go to Monoprice.com and pick up the generic adapter for $9.96. With shipping, it was still under $12, and it works just fine.)

Now that I have this system up and running on a full-sized screen, I’m ready to make some head-to-head comparisons with Windows. Because this system has a mere 1GB of RAM, I was curious to get a sense of how thrifty OS X Leopard is when it comes to memory usage. I was especially curious to see how Leopard compares to Vista, which as been slammed by critics as a resource hog.

To get started I opened Safari and opened a single web page, then began playing an MP3 track in iTunes. With those tasks running, I checked the results from Activity Monitor.

As you can see, the OS reports that 581MB is in use, with 430MB free.

Next, I launched a similar set of tasks on a system running Windows Vista Ultimate. To make the comparison fair, I used the System Configuration utility to disable all but 1024MB of memory in the system, which has 4GB of RAM. This system is using the full Aero interface (disabling it had no significant impact on the RAM footprint). I opened Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer, began playing the same MP3 tune and browsed to the same page that was open on the Macbook. Here’s what Task Manager showed for memory usage.

For those keeping score, the Vista machine is using 594MB of RAM, which is roughly 2% more than its Mac counterpart running the same set of tasks.

Vista gets a bad rap for lots of things, including its reputedly voracious appetite for memory. As you can see, Vista compares favorably to OS X in this regard and doesn’t deserve that reputation.

source: blogs.zdnet.com

Hehe, interesting...
Since trying Vista for myself I'm a proud supporter of it. :wink:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Zana

Post by Zana »

shiv wrote:=============================================

Hehe, interesting...
Great infos :-) still the Mac OS beats the windows OS by 2 % hehehe..
But if windows Vista optimised some of its GUI compnents they can reduce the memory consumption by at least 10% rouphly , perhaps a little bit more more :-)...
But Vista has extra services running, and people have been cpmparing it as Vista vs XP which is the same as comparing win 98 vs XP.
If you upgrade your hardware with your OS upgrade it wont be painfull and there would be less moans, but thats all got to do with money... and Vista is klike everyone says is the best 64 bit way with PC / But XP 64 is best choice if your hardware is constraining and dont have buclks rather wait and save for new system... But i dont see anyone one complaining between the different versions of Mac os like windows users with vista vs xp..
Love and hugs
Danielle
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
shiv

Post by shiv »

Bladerunner wrote: Since trying Vista for myself I'm a proud supporter of it. :wink:
Even if Vista does run well on modern hardware (and with latest SP and updates of course), it still is bloated and full of DRM.
That's a deal breaker for me.
I'm (still) testing out Windows Server 2008, awesome!! :P
This is what Vista should've been: modularized and lean. 8)
If I run into serious problems (especially games), then i might consider Vista, but by then Windows 7 will be floating around, haha.
Zana wrote: But if windows Vista optimised some of its GUI compnents they can reduce the memory consumption by at least 10% rouphly , perhaps a little bit more more :-)...

Vista could've beat OS X simply by cutting out the crap. :mrgreen:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Why do people do this....

Who cares if Vista is faster or slower than OSX :?:

The two do not compete on the same hardware. You will never have a representative benchmark.
Even if you have similarly spec'd Mac and PC and run benches on them - it doesn't mean anything.

Add the fact that Macs are used predominantly by hippies and pretentious turdburglars and you can see why nobody should care about whether Vista is faster or slower than OSX.

Wait... let me rephrase that... Nobody should care about OSX period.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:Why do people do this....

Who cares if Vista is faster or slower than OSX :?:

The two do not compete on the same hardware. You will never have a representative benchmark.
Even if you have similarly spec'd Mac and PC and run benches on them - it doesn't mean anything.

Add the fact that Macs are used predominantly by hippies and pretentious turdburglars and you can see why nobody should care about whether Vista is faster or slower than OSX.

Wait... let me rephrase that... Nobody should care about OSX period.
The point of that article was to demonstrate that Vista isn't the only OS that consumes resources.
As for hardware, it shouldn't matter, cos Mac OS X can run on Intel hardware now.

Anyway, you are right, who cares about OS X anyway?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

shiv wrote:The point of that article was to demonstrate that Vista isn't the only OS that consumes resources.
It's still pretty pointless going up against OSX.

Thats like a normal person competing in the Special Olympics *

And they used Safari and iTunes resource consumption and compared it to IE and WMP.

Whoever wrote this "article" is a grade A moron IMO.

* I would just like to aplologize to the one physically challenged and 700 mentally challenged people on this forum for comparing you to OSX.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:
shiv wrote:The point of that article was to demonstrate that Vista isn't the only OS that consumes resources.
It's still pretty pointless going up against OSX.

Thats like a normal person competing in the Special Olympics *

And they used Safari and iTunes resource consumption and compared it to IE and WMP.

Whoever wrote this "article" is a grade A moron IMO.

* I would just like to aplologize to the one physically challenged and 700 mentally challenged people on this forum for comparing you to OSX.
I get your point, lol.
But they are comparing both OS doing the same tasks (although different programs).
Anyway... let's leave it at that, lol lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jamin_za wrote:* I would just like to aplologize to the one physically challenged and 700 mentally challenged people on this forum for comparing you to OSX.
haha
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

jamin_za wrote:Add the fact that Macs are used predominantly by hippies and pretentious turdburglars and you can see why nobody should care about whether Vista is faster or slower than OSX.
Wrong. Hippies use Linux.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Artsy-fartsy people like Maxxis like using Macs.

I consider them hippies.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

OK, hippies with money use Macs. Hippies (and communists) without money use Linux. :P
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hex_Rated wrote:OK, hippies with money use Macs. Hippies (and communists) without money use Linux. :P
:lol:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Hex_Rated wrote:OK, hippies with money use Macs. Hippies (and communists) without money use Linux. :P
Agreed but even my 'springbok for scouts lets-go-out-and-camp-and-kill-something-and-then-eat-it' friend loves his Mac.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Frozenfireside wrote:
Agreed but even my 'springbok for scouts lets-go-out-and-camp-and-kill-something-and-then-eat-it' friend loves his Mac.

hippie in denial
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken