Nagios Installation help [Linux n00b]

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
IcePick88

Nagios Installation help [Linux n00b]

Post by IcePick88 »

Howzit guys,

My boss asked me to look into this piece of open source software. As most of you perhaps knows, this is a server monitoring tool. Well, beign a linux n00b, I have no idea on where to start with the installation. Reading the manual, I can gather that the installation is very script/command based (duh!).

What I would like to know is, is there any other way of installing this? Maybe with a .exe file? :?

I also see that there has to be a client side agent installed on every server that you want to monitor. You have to then download the latest "stable" version of it from the website. That alone puts me off, as they are reffering to "stable".

And if someone is using this application, can you maybe give me some info on how good it is and if it really works?

Thanks in advance!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
shiv

Re: Nagios Installation help [Linux n00b]

Post by shiv »

IcePick88 wrote:Howzit guys,

My boss asked me to look into this piece of open source software. As most of you perhaps knows, this is a server monitoring tool. Well, beign a linux n00b, I have no idea on where to start with the installation. Reading the manual, I can gather that the installation is very script/command based (duh!).

What I would like to know is, is there any other way of installing this? Maybe with a .exe file? :?

I also see that there has to be a client side agent installed on every server that you want to monitor. You have to then download the latest "stable" version of it from the website. That alone puts me off, as they are reffering to "stable".

And if someone is using this application, can you maybe give me some info on how good it is and if it really works?

Thanks in advance!
.exe files are a no-go on Linux, and it's just insane to write a Windows app to install Linux software!!! :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, wait for the Linux experts to sort out your query. :wink:

Best Regards!!
spearone

Post by spearone »

Sounds like you going to be compiling from source.

What version of Linux are running, on both the servers and clients?
cbrunsdonza

Post by cbrunsdonza »

Hi, we use Nagios to Monitor 11 servers and two remote PC's. I've only just started adding in monitoring myself but it basically works with scripts that it periodicaly calls and then responds to each ones exit code. I would not recomend Nagios unless you got programming experience in non-Microsoft languges: PHP / PYTHON / BASH / C

Nagios is only a tool to collect your monitoring code / scripts / applications feedback and alert you to any issues.

You only need one instance and perhaps a second failover. On all your client PCs you will not use Nagios but most likely SNMP to communicate accross servers. You could use HTTP if you wanted but this would not be reliable and could be a security issue.

What we do is use SNMP to generate the data we need on each of our servers. Nagios then calls scripts (small Linux bash apps) on its local server that then analysis the SNMP data. This would allow technically for us to monitor any OS with SNMP.