A Taste of Windows 7 Details

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: A Taste of Windows 7 Details

Post by ryanrich »

ADV4NCED wrote:
ryanrich wrote:Yeah mine is also 6001. Does it say Server 2008 or Windows Server Codename "Longhorn" if you run winver from a CMD prompt?

I'm trying to get a hold of RC1 or RTM.
Ermm...I'm using Vista Ultimate SP1 and typing winver in cmd also responds that I'm using (version 6) build 6001
Yes, that's the kernel version. Windows NT Kernel 6.0. Vista SP1 and 2008 will be the same.

Windows 7 will be a revision of kernel 6 therefore will be 6.1.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Woohoo, I finally got a 2008 Final release, busy installing now. :mrgreen:
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:Woohoo, I finally got a 2008 Final release, busy installing now. :mrgreen:
What's the version?

Is it:
Microsoft Windows Server
Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1, v.275)??

Thanks
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Says this exactly:

Microsoft Windows Server
Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

The way to know if it's a Beta or not, is that with the full version you don't need to set the BIOS date to before April 7th 2008, it installs normally and you have 3 days to activate.

I have access to Windows 7 M1 as well, but at this point kinda pointless testing it, will wait for the first Beta release.
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:Says this exactly:

Microsoft Windows Server
Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

The way to know if it's a Beta or not, is that with the full version you don't need to set the BIOS date to before April 7th 2008, it installs normally and you have 3 days to activate.

I have access to Windows 7 M1 as well, but at this point kinda pointless testing it, will wait for the first Beta release.
Oh I see, so I have a beta version then.
Never mind, will test it anyway.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Another way to see which version you're at, when you install it gives your server a name automatically. Does it call it LH-something something or WIN-something something... LH is the Beta aka LongHorn, and WIN is the final version.

So far I'm noticing a marked increase in speed on my Final over my Beta 3.
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:Another way to see which version you're at, when you install it gives your server a name automatically. Does it call it LH-something something or WIN-something something... LH is the Beta aka LongHorn, and WIN is the final version.

So far I'm noticing a marked increase in speed on my Final over my Beta 3.
It's WIN.............
Hmm... so is the Service Pack beta then?? :?:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

shiv: Here is the list of pre-release editions. You say yours has v.275 at the end, that means it's Release Candidate 0.

v.22 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” December 2006 CTP
v.77 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” February 2007 CTP
v.113 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” April 2007 CTP
v.126 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” Beta 3
v.222 Windows Server 2008 June 2007 CTP
v.275 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 0
v.658 Windows Server 2008 November 2007 CTP
v.667 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 1
v.735 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 1 with Hyper-V Beta
shiv

Post by shiv »

ryanrich wrote:shiv: Here is the list of pre-release editions. You say yours has v.275 at the end, that means it's Release Candidate 0.

v.22 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” December 2006 CTP
v.77 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” February 2007 CTP
v.113 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” April 2007 CTP
v.126 Windows Server Codename “Longhorn” Beta 3
v.222 Windows Server 2008 June 2007 CTP
v.275 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 0
v.658 Windows Server 2008 November 2007 CTP
v.667 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 1
v.735 Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 1 with Hyper-V Beta
Thanks for clearing that up!
At least this release is closer to final.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah, two releases ahead of the Beta I was using before switching to final this morning. I think the naming convention went from LH to WIN when they moved from v.126 to v.222.

So far I can see 2008 working very well indeed as a Workstation OS. I think one of the reasons it's going so fast though is that none of the crap included with Vista is turned on, so I wouldn't turn too much on during the workstation conversion process, just the performance enhancing bits and possibly Desktop Experience.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Windows 7 codename: Windows 7.
Microsoft has previously always used a codename for new versions of Windows before officially announcing the new official name. Windows XP was codenamed Whistler, Windows Vista was codenamed Longhorn and the official name for Windows 7 has now also been revealed. Are you ready? The name of the next version of Windows is, wait for it, Windows 7.
I like it.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I also like it, although it's not the 7th incarnation of the Windows NT kernel, and is far from the 7th release of Windows, but oh well.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

ryanrich wrote:I also like it, although it's not the 7th incarnation of the Windows NT kernel, and is far from the 7th release of Windows, but oh well.
Ya, someone on Slashdot posted a chronology of all the Windows releases:

November 1985 - Windows 1.01
November 1987 - Windows 2.03
March 1989 - Windows 2.11
May 1990 - Windows 3.0
March 1992 - Windows 3.1x
October 1992 - Windows For Workgroups 3.1
July 1993 - Windows NT 3.1 NT 3.1 (this is where the NT line split off, so I'm told)
December 1993 - Windows For Workgroups 3.11
January 1994 - Windows 3.2 (released in Simplified Chinese only)
September 1994 - Windows NT 3.5
May 1995 - Windows NT 3.51
August 1995 - Windows 95
July 1996 - Windows NT 4.0
June 1998 - Windows 98
May 1999 - Windows 98 SE
February 2000 - Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)
September 2000 - Windows Me (last of the DOS-based line of Windows)
October 2001 - Windows XP (NT 5.1)
March 2003 - Windows XP 64-bit Edition
April 2003 - Windows Server 2003 (NT 5.2)
April 2005 - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (fork of NT 5.2)
July 2006 - Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs
January 2007 - Windows Vista (NT 6.0)
July 2007 - Windows Home Server (fork of NT 5.2)
February 2008 - Windows Server 2008 (also NT 6.0 kernel)
2010 (planned) - Windows 7 (NT 6.1)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Aah, Windows For Workgroups 3.11 my old friend.

Good times, good times... :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yes D3PART3D, we know where they get it, it's stupid though.

Windows 7 runs the same kernel as Vista, albeit a revision, and is more like an SP to Vista than a "significant release" as the article puts it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Microsoft revealed that it is targeting a 15 seconds boot time for Windows 7 in laboratory conditions, but the fact is that the Redmond company is cooking even something better. While Michael Fortin, Microsoft distinguished engineer and lead of the Fundamentals feature team in the Core Operating System group, indicated that Windows starting up in 15 seconds in the lab is a satisfactory boot time, the software giant is exploring the possibility of the 8-seconds-boot for Windows via a concept dubbed “Instant On”.

“Instant On” is nothing more than a concept at this point in time in a user feedback survey (courtesy of Engadget), with Microsoft offering little additional details. “The concept is called 'Instant On'”, Microsoft reveals via the feedback request. “Instant On takes your computer from being completely powered down or 'turned off' to being usable for a few specific activities in a very short amount of time. The Instant On experience is different from 'Full Windows' because it limits what activities you can do and what applications you have access to.”

In this regard, Microsoft is looking to do nothing more than a stripped down installation of Windows. The Redmond company is already working on componentizing the operating system, and the MinWin project is the basic, bare-bone, standalone core of the operating system that is still capable of booting and running by itself. The Windows “Instant On” slimmed down variant of the operating system would in fact permit access to only a subset of features and components including email, media player, instant messaging, the browser, limiting the user experience to only a handful of scenarios for the sake of boot performance.

“In the 'Instant On' scenario, your computer would be usable in eight (8) seconds,” Microsoft promises. “You have the ability to browse the web, do instant mesaging, watch DVDs and listen to music, but you would not have full access to Windows or all of your applications. This means that you would not have access to your files or data and could not change the configuration of the computer. You would be limited to using only the applications presented in the Instant ON scenario: web browsing, media playback and instant messaging.”

Source
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Vista SP2 and Windows 7 by the End of June 2009

Post by ryanrich »

Ballmer indicates new client operating system releases by July of next year
By Marius Oiaga, Technology News Editor

18th of October 2008, 11:20 GMT

The evolution of the Windows client, involving both Windows Vista (now with Service Pack 1) and Windows 7, appears to be closer than Microsoft is ready to acknowledge officially. Of course, Windows XP, even with Service Pack 3, is the past, with the exception of customers abandoning Windows Vista by exercising their downgrade rights. Windows Vista, even with SP1, is a present that makes the future seem to not get here fast enough. And Vista SP2 along with Windows 7 and Windows Cloud (Strata) are the future. But at the same time, both Vista SP2 and Windows 7 are nothing more than the evolution of Vista, to a lesser, and respectively a larger degree.

Come the end of October 2008, and the start of November, Microsoft will deliver a rather consistent taste of where it is heading with Windows, not only Windows 7, but also Windows 7 Server and Windows Strata (the label continues to be unconfirmed by the company). Events such as the Professional Developer Conference 2008, Windows Hardware Conference 2008 and TechEd EMEA will be focused on Windows 7 and Windows Cloud, although less on Windows Vista.

While at TechEd Brasil, at the start of this week, Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer indicated that the company planned to unveil a range of new products by July 2009. Microsoft's CEO mentioned that, by the end of June 2009, the software giant would offer "client operating system releases." Microsoft is, of course, already cooking Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7.

Ballmer stated that "Microsoft technologies: Windows, Windows Server, .NET, Visual Studio, Silverlight, SharePoint, Office (...) over the course of the 12 month period that ends June of next year, [are] just a subset of all of the exciting new innovations Microsoft will bring to market: client operating system releases, information management tools, security, gaming products and systems. The range of new technologies in some senses is growing and growing quickly." (emphasis added)

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Microsoft released Windows Vista RTM at the end of January 2007, not counting the business launch of the operating system in November 2006. Vista SP1 was released to manufacturing on February 4, 2008 concomitantly with Windows Server 2008, but was only made available for download starting March 18. Now the Redmond company has already moved onward to Service Pack 2.

In fact Vista SP2 invites to the Beta program have already started to be sent out, according to Neowin. It is not Windows Vista SP2 that Microsoft is cooking, but also Windows Server 2008 SP2, Beta invites for which have also been sent out. Microsoft has yet to confirm anything officially, but the first Beta bits for Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 are reportedly going to testers in just four weeks.

Still, while Service Pack 1 was the catalyst that took Vista RTM out of coma, making the operating system worthy of a long forgotten and discarded Wow label, SP2 is bound to be nothing more than a standard service pack release. At best, SP2 will take Vista forward just as much as SP1.

The equation is rather simple for Microsoft. The company will end up with a repeat of the Windows XP SP2 – Windows Vista scenario in which both operating systems are available at the same time on the market, although this situation would involve Vista SP2 and Windows 7 RTM. The last thing that Microsoft needs is to evolve Vista with SP2 sufficiently enough that it will be capable to rival Windows 7. In this context, the answer is rather simple. The Redmond giant needs to keep Vista at a relative stand-still even with SP2, and focus all innovation on Windows 7.

Windows 7, or Windows 6.1, or Windows Vista R2, or Windows Vista but "a lot better"

The seventh major version of Windows, but only according to Microsoft's math, comes with no differentiation between the codename and the brand. However, Windows 7 will, for the sake of perpetuating the existing level of Vista software compatibility, be in fact Windows 6.1. At the same time, according to Ballmer, Windows 7 will be Vista, but “a lot better.” This makes Windows 7 an excellent candidate for the Windows Vista R2 label, just as Windows 7 Server is in fact Windows Server 2008 R2. Still, the early feedback on the Windows 7 moniker indicates that the management of the Windows 7 project made the right choice.

"There you have it, Windows 7 now has a name. It’s called – Windows 7,” revealed Steve Clayton, Microsoft's UK Partner Group CTO. “To be honest I was quite surprised but also pretty pleased. The naming decision as Mike Nash says is about simplicity. It’ll certainly save us from all having to unlearn the name we’ve all had for it to date. I expect this naming decision will be debated to death on all the usual sites, but me, I’m just happy we settled on a name. Now let’s get to the PDC and get the bits!"

"Win7 to officially be called . . . Win7" said Robert Hensing, Microsoft security software engineer. "I actually for once - LOVE that we are keeping the name of the OS simple and leaving it at Win7. I will admit – I was somewhat disappointed when XP's name was announced internally (internally it was known as Whistler) and I was downright horrified when we decided to call Longhorn "Vista" (my friends call it "Veesta"). Longhorn sounds cool . . . manly . . . Vista is pretty much the exact opposite in my mind . . . it sounds serene and 'pretty'."

"Steve Ballmer was at Gartner's Symposium/ITxpo conference today, talking about a number of issues. The big question was about Vista deployments and what should companies do. He answered by saying that the adoption rate for Vista, is two times that of where XP was after the same period," stated Neil Hutson, Microsoft evangelist. "Then in Jedi style, Neil MacDonald from Gartner said that 61% of respondents are thinking of skipping Vista. To that, Ballmer said that Microsoft would be ready for that outcome, but if he was the audience, he would not wait. I think that this is a good call. Vista SP1 is really stable and the big question is whether companies are going to wait for the first SP of Windows 7 before they deploy? That will leave them with a lot of very outdated machines and OS software that will take them a lot longer to replace."

Windows Cloud – To Strata or not to Strata?

At PDC2008 Microsoft plans to unveil the first Beta of Windows Cloud, which could be labeled Windows Strata, although the company has yet to confirm this aspect. Windows Strata goes beyond the Windows client and server operating systems, and is a new platform tailored to the Redmond giant's Software plus Services business model.

"We have our Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles in a couple of weeks, we're going to roll out new technologies and a new platform for this software plus services world. The new platform has a lot of work to do. First, it requires a new platform in the cloud. In the Microsoft kind of way of thinking every new major trend requires a new version of our operating system. So, we did Windows, then we did Windows Server, then we did Windows CE and Mobile. And you'll see us bring Windows technologies in a new form to the cloud," Ballmer explained.

Microsoft is essentially looking to keep up with the changes associated with the development paradigm. But what the company is doing is transition the Windows style of development to the cloud and make it available in the browser. Silverlight, .NET, Windows Presentation Foundation and Visual Studio will all contribute to enabling developers to built web-based solutions running on Microsoft's new Internet platform. In this regard, the software giant is working to ensure that services will "be available as a system construct in Windows Server, in Windows desktop and in Windows in the cloud," Ballmer stated, adding that "with this evolution to a new world of distributed computing, we Microsoft will introduce a new cloud platform, some new cloud services around Web 2.0, some advances to our development tools and development runtimes, as well as tools and technologies that really support new business models."

Source
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

My mate is using Win7 and loving it. He says it's awesome-like having the speed of XP with the functionality of Vista. I'm so gonna buy it.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
FReaKno2

Post by FReaKno2 »

There are lots of things wrong with xp 32bit that you can ignore that makes it a brilliant os .
There are lots of things in Vista that are wrong/faulty that you can't ignore that makes it a K@K os , exept for a few bells and whissels that are nice enough .
There are a lot of things in 2008 server i whished i could get in xp .

At the end of the day i hope and pray that Win7 is a combination of all these things to make it a sweet and briliant os .

The instant on feature sounds stupid .

The fast (11 second boot time ) sound to good to be true .

The striping down windows by taking everyting out you don't need is cool but not new ( 2003 server iis not installed by default ) . Would be realy cool if they can strip ie7-8-9 out to let you choose / download what ever you want .

IMHO Cpu's/graphics cards/chipsets are all equal some more than others but i haven't seen/used a Cpu's/graphics cards/chipsets lateley that made mething Man this is a big steaming pile of **** .

OS are different macs : if wanto use them , linux : if you wanto go for it , but please use 98se instead of Vista if you can't find XPsp0/1/2/3 . Because vista is a big steaming pile .

Looking at history(repeats itself) like WinME Vista was a bang and no buck . But was followed by XP so Win7 might actualy be good .
FReaKno2

Post by FReaKno2 »

Anyway :D
shiv

Post by shiv »

FReaKno2 wrote:There are lots of things wrong with xp 32bit that you can ignore that makes it a brilliant os .
There are lots of things in Vista that are wrong/faulty that you can't ignore that makes it a K@K os , exept for a few bells and whissels that are nice enough .
There are a lot of things in 2008 server i whished i could get in xp .

At the end of the day i hope and pray that Win7 is a combination of all these things to make it a sweet and briliant os .

The instant on feature sounds stupid .

The fast (11 second boot time ) sound to good to be true .

The striping down windows by taking everyting out you don't need is cool but not new ( 2003 server iis not installed by default ) . Would be realy cool if they can strip ie7-8-9 out to let you choose / download what ever you want .

IMHO Cpu's/graphics cards/chipsets are all equal some more than others but i haven't seen/used a Cpu's/graphics cards/chipsets lateley that made mething Man this is a big steaming pile of **** .

OS are different macs : if wanto use them , linux : if you wanto go for it , but please use 98se instead of Vista if you can't find XPsp0/1/2/3 . Because vista is a big steaming pile .

Looking at history(repeats itself) like WinME Vista was a bang and no buck . But was followed by XP so Win7 might actualy be good .
Agreed.
Server 2008 is great, but with some minor irritations needing workarounds.
I'm gonna grab Windows 7 as soon as it's out!!!!!!
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

So do any of you guys have a link to where one can download a beta of Windows 7?

I suck at searching MS's site :oops:
There are doorways I haven`t opened and windows I`ve yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!
Asus P55, i5-750, 8GB DDR3, HD5770OC, Audigy2Value, 3.4TB Storage, MS Presenter Mouse 8000, G15, G25, CM Centurion5 + Musketeer, 19" CRT.

Please note: I collect Vintage Computing equipment, if you have any *really old* stuff laying about contact me please!!
shiv

Post by shiv »

minerva10210 wrote:So do any of you guys have a link to where one can download a beta of Windows 7?

I suck at searching MS's site :oops:
Not public yet........................
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

FReaKno2 wrote:Would be realy cool if they can strip ie7-8-9 out to let you choose / download what ever you want .
Can you imagine the absolute chaos that that would cause. I would guess that the aveage computer user, who is not too technically minded, uses IE simply because they don't know that there are alternatives out there. Take IE out of the OS and people will be wondering why on earth they can't connect to the Internet. :lol: