A Taste of Windows 7 Details

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
shiv

Re: A Taste of Windows 7 Details

Post by shiv »

Hex_Rated wrote:
rustypup wrote:
shiv wrote:No matter what Windows 7 turns out to be, I sure want to get my hands on a (pirate) copy....
hmm...

fandom, even biased, unoriginal and thoroughly regurgitated fandom, has its limits... take a deep breath, grasp the essential truth that windows is nothing other than a bloated waste of time and space and let go of the idiocy...

it's only going to end in tears...
*yawn*

It may be bloated and it may be over marketed and *insert 10,000,000 Anti MS comment here*. But if I want to waste my time I'll install a Linux distro. :lol:

Sorry, I can't let go of the idiocy... I tried... I'd rather be stupid and have some spare time than clever and digging through obscure .cfg files to change the resolution or refresh rate of my monitor (actually there's some calculation you have to go through IIRC).

:bigsmurf: says "Use Windows 7 kids. Only Noddy and Big Ears uses Linux."
+1 Windows... :mrgreen:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Hman wrote:Hex, it's been a long time since you had to change resolution in config files, if you use a GUI you can do it in there.

But I still don't use linux, only install sometimes to mess around with.
You're right, the refresh rate needs to be changed via the config files though. And when I changed to a monitor that didn't support the refresh I was using, I had a bit of a problem. Luckily CRTs are still abundant.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

shiv wrote:I didn't start it, rustypup did
start what, exactly?...

linux not useful? :lol: given that your web life would be severely curtailed without it, that's actually pretty funny...

you are actively raving about an OS which polices the use of your hardware, software and disc contents, and you imagine this is "more useful" than the alternatives?... an OS which consumes an inordinate amount of system resource whilst just performing the most basic of interface functions... an OS which demands an above average system to provide below average functionality...

other than gaming, there is nothing which sets it apart from its competitors - aside from its draconian approach to DRM, that is.

not only are you misinformed, your particular brand of gormless raving has fed more than one amusing os-fanbois thread... when you have some experience with the alternatives and have managed to divest yourself of the more comical misconceptions, i would happily engage in a discussion around the pros and cons of the various systems available...

what i won't do is engage in civil discussion with a self-proclaimed thief... unless i misunderstood the "i'm just so much of a fan i need to steal something" comment....

@hex: this has more to do with rational reasoning when faced with woo-woo than user intellect...

and, yes, it has been sometime since one had to modify configs directly... although, in many cases, it remains the quicker option...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:
shiv wrote:I didn't start it, rustypup did
start what, exactly?...

linux not useful? :lol: given that your web life would be severely curtailed without it, that's actually pretty funny...

you are actively raving about an OS which polices the use of your hardware, software and disc contents, and you imagine this is "more useful" than the alternatives?... an OS which consumes an inordinate amount of system resource whilst just performing the most basic of interface functions... an OS which demands an above average system to provide below average functionality...

other than gaming, there is nothing which sets it apart from its competitors - aside from its draconian approach to DRM, that is.

not only are you misinformed, your particular brand of gormless raving has fed more than one amusing os-fanbois thread... when you have some experience with the alternatives and have managed to divest yourself of the more comical misconceptions, i would happily engage in a discussion around the pros and cons of the various systems available...

what i won't do is engage in civil discussion with a self-proclaimed thief... unless i misunderstood the "i'm just so much of a fan i need to steal something" comment....

@hex: this has more to do with rational reasoning when faced with woo-woo than user intellect...

and, yes, it has been sometime since one had to modify configs directly... although, in many cases, it remains the quicker option...
Linux is not the only OS that can run web servers, I don't care if they are the majority or not.

Rant all you want about DRM and policies, I can do what I want, MS doesn't limit me.
Even if Vista's DRM attempts to restrict, there's plenty of software that can circumvent it.

Can Linux do Blue-Ray well? No! (And don't give me some useless load of garbage, Linux cannot and will never do multimedia as well as Windows).

When you want to benchmark hardware, which OS is used? Windows.

Can Linux do Games? Well, everyone knows the answer to that.

Which OS is the primary OS for software developers? Windows off course.

Which OS will allow you to use your hardware, without the endless hours of driver searching and config tweaking? Windows.

I'd rather use a below-average OS and get excellent usefulness.

It's not only the OS, MS make some good software.
So the grip on Windows is even tighter, lol.

I don't have time to dig under the hood, I want things to work with minimum hassle.
Linux has all the power, but no control.

As a software developer, MS really does impress.

MS rules, face it. :lol:

When they finally get Windows right, I wonder what you'll complain about next...

PS: I try before I buy... If it wasn't for piracy, would MS be as popular as they are?? :mrgreen:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

shiv wrote:If it wasn't for piracy, would MS be as popular as they are?? :mrgreen:
A hit!
A plapable hit!

But take that line of thought to the Piracy thread where, by default, rustypup loses some of his precious moral high ground ;)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Does every single thread that talks about an OS always end being a Windows vs. Linux debate? :roll:
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:
shiv wrote:If it wasn't for piracy, would MS be as popular as they are?? :mrgreen:
A hit!
A plapable hit!

But take that line of thought to the Piracy thread where, by default, rustypup loses some of his precious moral high ground ;)
A good end to the day... thanks!! :mrgreen:
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:Does every single thread that talks about an OS always end being a Windows vs. Linux debate? :roll:
I didn't start it.... :mrgreen:
spearone

Post by spearone »

g0ldback wrote:Does every single thread that talks about an OS always end being a Windows vs. Linux debate? :roll:
It because those damn Windows users just don't get the message! ;)
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yes and I've given up arguing. I'm just glad we can chose.
I'm hopeful about Win7. Really. I think it could be MS chance to make amends but only by taking a fresh approach to their OS. Vista was the wrong approach IMO.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
spearone

Post by spearone »

:mrgreen: Windows was the wrong approach IMO.

But I am hopeful about Windows 7, maybe it will actually be worth using.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

spearone wrote:Windows was the wrong approach IMO.
Well since it is the most successful desktop OS of all time, and also the most successful server OS in recent years, I dare say your opinion is not worth serious consideration.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:
Well since it is the most successful desktop OS of all time, and also the most successful server OS in recent years, I dare say your opinion is not worth serious consideration.
I was wondering where you were... :mrgreen:

Windows may be below-average to these Linux users, but it allows you to do so much more than any other OS.
Just look at the Linux forum, so much hassle for such simple things...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jamin_za wrote:
That proves absolutely nothing. It just means that MS charges more for the product. Or in actual fact gets more revenue out of their OS's than the others. Take one Example. NetWare. A proprietary operating system specifically designed for server platforms. Novell does not sell the thing. They don't get any money from the OS itself. And that is why they are not on your list. In defence of Linux what you pay for is not the OS either. But in NetWare's case you don't even have to buy the media. They are willing to ship the media to you at absolutely no charge.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:That proves absolutely nothing.
It proves everything.

Read beyond the first paragraph of my link!
It's not just revenue recieved.
Windows now has 36% of the server OS market share, compared to Unix's 32% and Linux's 12%
That means that more businesses run Windows on their back-end than any other OS.

How can that prove nothing?

Has your fanaticism put you totally out of touch with reality?
Unless how you measure the worth of a product has changed since I last checked. The best way to measure a products worth is to judge it's performance against it's competitors. In a free market, if more people buy your product, regardless of the fact that it costs more - the general consensus is it is superior.
Now you can argue stability, footprint and any other straws you loonies like to clutch at. But at the end of the day, money talks and bullhiat walks. So get to stepping :P
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I don't have time to argue the point at the moment as I have to go into a meeting in a moment's time but that whole report you linked to is based on renumeration. Not actual installations of the OS. Anyway there is not point to arguing in any case. This is a Win7 thread not an OS war. Also what we all forget is that there is a place for every OS. Each one has it's strong and weak points. that is what makes the computer environment soooo rich. In that you have a choice between what would work the best for your needs rather than have one thing on the market which does one thing well and completely fails at the rest.

I am all for it if Win7 is an improvement on anything MS has at the moment. I certainly won't buy it at the moment seing as I already own my copy of Vista but It will certainly mean that there is going to be another service pack for Vista and in most cases that can only mean a more stable OS. I'm Happy that way :D
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I'm not going to start arguing this again. It's pointless anyway. We've said the same stuff over and over and over and we never get any where. Cereal. Let it sleep.

As mods you guys should know this :|
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Frozenfireside wrote:I'm not going to start arguing this again. It's pointless anyway. We've said the same stuff over and over and over and we never get any where. Cereal. Let it sleep.

As mods you guys should know this :|
That is why I tried to get the thread back on topic bit it seems not to be working.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

It will never go any other way.
Email and photo apps removed from Win7
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Frozenfireside wrote:It will never go any other way.
Email and photo apps removed from Win7
That is one interesting read. Did anyone bother to read the posts at the bottom of the report :?:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
bosaap

Post by bosaap »

Know what i have realised is that nowhere in a microsoft url do we see anything about windows 7. Or im i missinf it somewhere. If there is and someone has it please past.

All our info comes for other sources not microsoft itself?
Thanks to Stuart
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Try this
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Try this
no. no.. let's stick with the prevailing theory that all of the aforementioned details are part of some worldwide conspiracy aimed at trashing the next microsoft OS before it's even officially announced by someone official from mickeysoft...

look guys, not funny anymore. produce a signed affidavit from ballmer attesting to the factual content of your post or cut it out. :evil:

<reaches for his tinfoil head adornment..>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Try this
no. no.. let's stick with the prevailing theory that all of the aforementioned details are part of some worldwide conspiracy aimed at trashing the next microsoft OS before it's even officially announced by someone official from mickeysoft...

look guys, not funny anymore. produce a signed affidavit from ballmer attesting to the factual content of your post or cut it out. :evil:

<reaches for his tinfoil head adornment..>
LOL @ rustypup :lol:
shiv

Windows 7 to get parallel-processing tweaks

Post by shiv »

Windows 7 to get parallel-processing tweaks:
=================================
Microsoft has shared bits and pieces of how it is adding new features to its development tools to better support parallel processing.

But the next release of Windows client and server also are going to incorporate changes designed to improve their parallel-processing support.

While Microsoft execs and those who’ve managed to get their hands on early builds of Windows 7 have focused largely on user-interface tweaks in Windows 7, there will be some under-the-covers changes, too. Microsoft officials have said on the record that deep-level changes between Windows Vista and Windows 7 will be kept to a minimum, in order to insure application and driver compatibility. Yet Microsoft officials acknowledge that Win32, the core of Windows, is not suited for asynchronous, concurrent computing.

Microsoft is taking the first steps toward remedying this limitation with Windows 7 and its joined-at-the-hip sibling, Windows 7 Server (the product currently known as Windows Server 2008 R2). In the longer term, as I’ve blogged previously, the game plan is to find a way to exorcise Win32 from Windows and replace it with managed code — preferably a set of programming interfaces that are better tailored to handle parallel-processing tasks across many processors. (That’s where the incubation projects codenamed RedHawk, MinSafe and Midori all come in. But don’t expect to see the fruits of any of these projects appear in Windows until Windows 8, at the earliest.)

At the upcoming Microsoft Professional Developers Conference in late October, Microsoft execs are slated to discuss “the key architectural changes Microsoft is making to Windows to enable the efficient execution of parallel software,” according to a session description on the PDC Web site.

I asked Microsoft for more specifics as to what’s changing in Windows 7 with regard to parallel-processing support. A spokeswoman said “Microsoft is not commenting on this level of detail regarding Windows 7 yet.”

I got a few hints about what’s on the drawing board, however, from Craig Mundie, Microsoft’s Chief Research and Strategy Officer.

“Win32 was never designed for highly concurrent, asynchronous processing,” said Mundie during a recent interview I had with him last week at the Emerging Technology Conference in Cambridge, Mass.

“Parallelism requires adjustments at every level of the stack,” Mundie acknowledged. It involves “the repartioning of different tasks to different layers….So look for a rebalancing of roles and runtimes. We need to formalize that in the operating system. Expect the first pieces in the next generation of Windows.”

As one example of one Windows feature that needs this kind of rebalancing, Mundie cited the user-mode scheduling model. The existing Windows scheduler has “too much overhead,” Mundie said. He noted that Microsoft has introduced a new trial model as part of its Robotics Development Kit runtime. Microsoft’s robotics toolkit includes new concurrency and coordination (CCR) and decentralized software services (DSS) runtimes that are optimized for distributed/multicore computing.

source: blogs.zdnet.com
====================================

Hmm... I wonder why MS couldn't get it right the first time?? :mrgreen: