Alarming temp delta - Opty

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
minerva10210

Alarming temp delta - Opty

Post by minerva10210 »

Howzit guys!

Haven't been around for a while, work keeping one busy from before dawn to midnight gets to be a bit hectic... :shock:

Anyways, it seems like I have a bit of a worrisome issue with my rig, as per my sig, Opty 175 (Stock btw) and the 8800GT running on the Vantec Stingray watercooling kit. I have noticed that the temps of the 2 cores on the opty are running at up to 10°C from each other, at full load, core0=53° core1=43°, at idle, it is much less, like 3°C delta.

Now I have re-done my whole water loop recently to see if that makes any difference, but it did not.
Is this something to be worried about, or not?
I know the water kit I have is an el-ceapo, could it just be a crappy design of the CPU block causing this, or something else?

I must add that I don't have any issues with the machine, IOW, it is stable...

Your input will be greatly appreciated :)
There are doorways I haven`t opened and windows I`ve yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!
Asus P55, i5-750, 8GB DDR3, HD5770OC, Audigy2Value, 3.4TB Storage, MS Presenter Mouse 8000, G15, G25, CM Centurion5 + Musketeer, 19" CRT.

Please note: I collect Vintage Computing equipment, if you have any *really old* stuff laying about contact me please!!
WiK1d

Re: Alarming temp delta - Opty

Post by WiK1d »

1 Core will always be hotter as it's doing more work.
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

Even when running OCCT?
it loads up both cores nicely...
There are doorways I haven`t opened and windows I`ve yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!
Asus P55, i5-750, 8GB DDR3, HD5770OC, Audigy2Value, 3.4TB Storage, MS Presenter Mouse 8000, G15, G25, CM Centurion5 + Musketeer, 19" CRT.

Please note: I collect Vintage Computing equipment, if you have any *really old* stuff laying about contact me please!!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

minerva10210 wrote:Even when running OCCT?
it loads up both cores nicely...
Yes, but windows is still using most of core 0, so it will be a bit higher than core 1
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I see the same thing on my pc.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

WiK1d wrote:1 Core will always be hotter as it's doing more work.
2nded. Mine are also different.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

Well cool, thanks for the info guys, like I said, I know there would usually bee a difference, but 10* is quite a bit.

Enjoy!

RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Also its near impossible to get equal seating of the cores from the heatsink, there will allways be one with a better heat exchange. maybe try lapping your IHS, that could be uneven causing the problem
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

RobThePyro wrote:Also its near impossible to get equal seating of the cores from the heatsink, there will allways be one with a better heat exchange. maybe try lapping your IHS, that could be uneven causing the problem
Dunno hey, haven't had the guts to lap the IHS! :shock: I have done quite a few sinks before though :)

RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Yea like everyone said its not a serrious problem but if u REALLY wanted your temps to be asclose as possible then lapping your CPU and sink would be the way to go. not really needed unless your OC hard and ur temps are getting high :)

MY Q6600 used to have 2 cores sitting about 8'C above the other two, maybe 6' if i got a really good seating of the block. BUT when i rebuilt my PC into my new stacker 830 i lapped the block and cpu(wasnt very hard and every thing still works, plus the CPU was REALLY uneven! :)) i also used coolerlab liquid metal pro as the T.I.M. ! now i get maybe 3-4'c diffrence bettween the 4 cores! which is REALLY good, doesnt get much better than that if i do say so myself! :P

Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Oj

Post by Oj »

No, not lapping. Athlon CPUs very often have very bad contact between the dies and the integrated heat spreader. If you want the delta to decrease dramatically you have to remove the heatspreader using a blade.
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

Oj wrote:No, not lapping. Athlon CPUs very often have very bad contact between the dies and the integrated heat spreader. If you want the delta to decrease dramatically you have to remove the heatspreader using a blade.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the AMD chips' heatspreaders also only use TIM and are not glued to the die like the Intel chips.

lapping I will still do, but removing the IHS is going too far for the usage I have... if I were trying for the max overclock, then sure!

I have now just decided to ignore the temp difference! ;)

Oj

Post by Oj »

Removing the IHS is easier than lapping ;)

Intel chips aren't glued, they're soldered. Some of their chips have the same problem but the solder means you can't rectify it as easily.
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
minerva10210

Post by minerva10210 »

Oj wrote:Removing the IHS is easier than lapping ;)

Intel chips aren't glued, they're soldered. Some of their chips have the same problem but the solder means you can't rectify it as easily.
Glued/soldered, close enough ;) I do remember seeing a video or howto guide on a site, think it was xtremesystems or vrzone, where the guy killed 2 intel cpus in trying to remove the IHS, used a heatgun on them or something IIRC... Pulled the core off the pga board...
Still sounds a bit too risky for me... That, and once you have the IHS off, now you sit with an extra 1mm of clearance between your cpu and the cooler you need to make up for somehow...