Windows to Ubuntu

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
dr13

Windows to Ubuntu

Post by dr13 »

Hi Guys

This is my 1st post so don't shoot me down if anything I say seems stupid, I'm not in the IT field and I'm looking for advise on the Ubuntu operating system.

How good is it really?
Is there another Linux based operating system that is better and most importantly user friendly

I currently have XP on my machine and have recieved a copy of Ubuntu from our IT guy but have installed it on a temp basis
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Windows to Ubuntu

Post by Nuke »

Its pretty good IMO, and not really hard per se, you just need to think very diffrent that with windows. And you have to be ready to read alot. I can't really comment on Ubuntu for desktop, but I use it mainly for servers, and there you have to do it all in the CLI.

But while you wait for someone like DJV to respond(he use it on his PC), search the forum, here is a few Ububto desktop threads around.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nuke wrote:But while you wait for someone like DJV to respond(he use it on his PC),
Here i am :P

Ubuntu is a fantastic operating system. I absolutely LOVE it. I moved to it from XP about a year ago and i've been very happy with it. 8.04 has given me issues though so i've reverted back to 7.10, but either way, it's an awesome OS.

As Nuke says, prepare yourself for some reading. Moving to Ubuntu is not a 5 minute job. Getting the hang of Linux took me a while, but it was fun throughout the whole process. You're going to spend a lot of time google-ing and browsing ubuntuforums.org.

Just keep in mind that you can't play games on Ubuntu (well, not any DECENT games...).

Good luck! And be sure to post here if you get stuck :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Welcome to the forum!

Advantages:
Speed
Security
Price - Almost everything including 3rd party software is for free.
Don't need the best hardware to have a smooth responsive OS, very efficient use of the memory and processing power.

Disadvantages:
Can be very frustrating to install some apps, you often need to research obscure error codes that have weird solutions.
Steep learning curve.
Variations between distros, no standardization which makes it difficult to get help. Ubuntu is probably the best variant.
Not very user friendly, even the most user friendly distros.
No games.

It all comes down to what you want to use the computer for in the end. If you like playing around with stuff you'll like it. If you're impatient (like me) and want everything to just work, you will struggle and not like it very much. Just installing it requires some basic knowledge of File Allocation Tables (FAT) and page files and what they do and how they work. Also be prepared to hunt down drivers and software that you need. Everything you can do in Windows you can do in Linux (even games) but it's much more difficult to get Linux set up the way you want it. If all you do is emails, word processing and spread sheets, you can have them up and running quite quickly (in fact I think you can get the Install disk to put them on automatically for you).

On the other hand, maybe you won't develop bad habits that Windows teaches you.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi welcome to PCF.

As nobody else told you.

Please go to http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7531 to introduce yourself.

Also remember to read the rules HERE

Enjoy your stay at PCF. May it be long and Pleasent. 8)

OK. BACK ON TOPIC. I would like to experiment with linux also. I downloaded the puppy linux. the 1 from last months mag. i played around with it. I think its cool. where could i get ubuntu and other recommended distros?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
dr13

Post by dr13 »

I only need it for Internet access,email,spreadsheets,word processing,power point. No games!

I am currently using Telkom ADSL. How do i change my mail account around?

What is the equivalent to Adobe on Ubuntu?
fbman

Post by fbman »

If you mean Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it for linux.
StoneIce

Post by StoneIce »

Yeah , I like Ubuntu Linux and Suse Linux. It very nice...
Nice for work, nice for movies , music.. emails.... firefox !! and so on.

Only thinks is about games... Sadly not for games. Cedega is a nice applications to use for game but support for
# Some types of copy protection (good reason yes) hehe
# Pixel Shaders 2.0
# Vertex Shaders 2.0
# DirectX 9.0
but what about DX 10 and Pixel Shader 3 or 4... well only on Vista ..duh. And unluckily pay for every 12 Month Membership 45 USD for Cedega. :(

Well by the way. I will use dual boot. Install Vista for game and Ubuntu Linux for everything, whatever you like!! :lol:

I found the way how to...
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

If you installed Ubuntu before Windows Vista, now would be the time to get your Vista DVDs out and install it to your PC. Once Vista installed, grab yourself a copy of EasyBCD and install it to get started.
Samsung T260 26' LCD . Intel i7 920 D0 . Asus P6T Deluxe Palm OC . Dominator & OCZ 6GB DDR 3 1600Mhz . ATI/AMD HD5850 . Razer Mamba . Logitech G11
StoneIce

Post by StoneIce »

DeathStrike wrote:Hi welcome to PCF.

As nobody else told you.

Please go to http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7531 to introduce yourself.

Also remember to read the rules HERE

Enjoy your stay at PCF. May it be long and Pleasent. 8)

OK. BACK ON TOPIC. I would like to experiment with linux also. I downloaded the puppy linux. the 1 from last months mag. i played around with it. I think its cool. where could i get ubuntu and other recommended distros?
Hehehe thanks. I am not really new here.
well i didn't introduce myself. Ok let me introduce myself.
Samsung T260 26' LCD . Intel i7 920 D0 . Asus P6T Deluxe Palm OC . Dominator & OCZ 6GB DDR 3 1600Mhz . ATI/AMD HD5850 . Razer Mamba . Logitech G11
dr13

Post by dr13 »

thanx for the advise guys i will try loading Ubuntu as my 2nd operating system this weekend and let your'll know if i have any hassels on Monday.

forget to mention thanks for all the welcomes :mrgreen: :wink:
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

dr13 wrote:I only need it for Internet access,email,spreadsheets,word processing,power point. No games!
?
With those skimpy requirements......you could use any version of Linux......from DSL to SuSE....they will all serve your needs out the box.

For beginners, I suggest (k)Ubuntu.....the online repositories and package manager help keep you out Dependency Hell.
shiv

Post by shiv »

dr13 wrote:Hi Guys

This is my 1st post so don't shoot me down if anything I say seems stupid, I'm not in the IT field and I'm looking for advise on the Ubuntu operating system.

How good is it really?
Is there another Linux based operating system that is better and most importantly user friendly

I currently have XP on my machine and have recieved a copy of Ubuntu from our IT guy but have installed it on a temp basis
Try PCLinuxOS... it has lots of apps out of the box, great multimedia support, and is fast!!!
I've had no major issues with it, all hardware detected and working 100%.
Tons of apps available in the software repository.
I've used PCLinuxOS 2007, it uses KDE, which is very similar looking to Windows.
http://www.pclinuxos.com
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hmm. ya. i am beginner. what is better? Ubuntu? or this pclinuxos? or any other. at the moment i got puppy linux. :lol:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
dr13

Post by dr13 »

hi guys

thanx for all the input. I have installed Ubuntu as my 2nd operating system and enjoying it :D

Is it possible to uninstall Windows now and install Kubuntu instead?