Two questions on networks

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
SykomantiS

Two questions on networks

Post by SykomantiS »

Hey all.

First off, a really simple question: I have a router set up with my username and password for adsl, the router is not in bridge mode. If I create a broadband connection from my pc, through the wan miniport, while the router account is still active and connected, which account will my pc use for internet connection? In other words, does it still use the router connection, or does it use the wan connection on the pc?

Secondly, something a bit trickier: A work colleague of my mother recently fried her psu. She had it replaced with no apparent ill effects on the pc, except for her internet connection. She uses a lan connection to a router. The problem is this: when trying to connect to the internet, or when opening outlook, she gets a socket error. Nothing else. Everything else on the pc works fine.

I haven't been able to go check it out for myself as I'm still writing exams tomorrow, so I'll only be getting my hands on the problem by tomorrow afternoon. So I have no specific information yet, but I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea as to what I should be looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

(Ps: Mods, If this is in the wrong section, please move it)
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Your first Q: I am not sure you can do a broadband dial-up through a router when the router already has established a connection using settings it already has. I have never tried to do this, so I could be incorrect.
Why do you want to do this?

2nd Q: Try taking along a spare network card. There is a possibility that the network card on the mobo took a little shock when the PSU blew. If it is the network card then its easy and cheap to replace.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

The broadband dail-up does work when both are connected, I just want to know which connection does the actual work. Want to do this because I want to use an account other than the family adsl which I can use and abuse as I please.

The thought had occurred to me, but I don't have a spare network card. I donated my last one to a friend who got his onboard fried :P
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

mmm... the best way to find out which cap is being used is to check it after downloading a large file.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I guess, but I kinda want to know before I start downloading large files...
douglash

Post by douglash »

SykomantiS wrote:because I want to use an account other than the family adsl which I can use and abuse as I please.
Look here

You can use Route sentry to route traffic through different accounts... there is also quite a bit of information on MyBroadBand regarding this..
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

You can have the router connected and still dial your own connection from your PC. It's called half bridge, I know virtually all the Billions can do it. If you dial up your own connection on your PC then you use that account, you don't touch the account the Router is using.

Just set up the family account on the router and dial yours on your PC and you can abuse away without touching theirs.
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks for the replies. So I can use and abuse with a clear conscience :P

Any help on the second question?
douglash

Post by douglash »

FMU (from my understanding) - a socket error is a port error and has nothing to do with hardware - i suggest deleting the mail account, and recreating it - that normally solves a "socket error" here at work... but not always, so don't quote me on it... :)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks douglash, these socket errors, are they relevant to ie and firefox as well?
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

I tend to think that it is irrelevant which browser you use...sorry for interrupting...it has something to do with the legacy hardware drivers and the corruption of a registry key or two. Just what I experienced in the past. So therefore recreation seems to be the most logical solution.

I'm with douglash on this one.

Back to front, eish, I have no idea about the routing which you are trying to implement and can, therefore, not comment.
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I don't think it has anything to do with browsers either, since all internet traffic is err, screwed,.

The lady also told me this afternoon there's no local area connection in her network properties window, so now what, driver issue as well? Or hardware failure indeed?

EDIT: something else just tickled my fancy... Do you guys know about a good DHCP software utility I can use if I want to set up a network with a switch only, but still use dynamic addressing?
axisK

Post by axisK »

Sounds like the NIC might be dead, check the cable first though ;)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Re:

Post by DeathStrike »

Charger14 wrote:You can have the router connected and still dial your own connection from your PC. It's called half bridge, I know virtually all the Billions can do it. If you dial up your own connection on your PC then you use that account, you don't touch the account the Router is using.

Just set up the family account on the router and dial yours on your PC and you can abuse away without touching theirs.
Hi guys. i have setup my telkom mega 200vwr router to use PPPOE with pass through. (which i think is half bridge mode) and i have route sentry. now my question is that i don't know how to setup route sentry for when i wanna use my downloading account. the family account is setup on the router. so how do i setup route sentry?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
SBSP

Re: Two questions on networks

Post by SBSP »

@ Question 2

Socket errors are normally caused by winsock.
It could be various reasons, the Winsock DLL file might have gone corrupt or you have registry problems.

the Dll might want to access hardware that does not work any more like the network card.
Winsock is a a microsoft component you can downloaded it by using google to search for it.

1.) Check and make sure the device manager recognize the card.
2.) Check that you can see it in the "My Network Places"
or goto start run type CMD and type IPconfig /all and see if the card shows up.
3.) Make sure you can ping the router.
4.) Check the network cable.
5.) Try fix winsock by downloading it or restore the PC using system restore, or run the XP disk over
the current installation.