USB Popcorn Maker

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

USB Popcorn Maker

Post by Anakha56 »

I found this topic early this morning forgot to post it on PCF :oops:

DIY USB Popcorn Maker Version 1

DIY USB Popcorn Maker Version 2

DJV care to mod it for me? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

It looks awesome.
I'm gonna build me one of those :D
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

That is really cool. Perfect for someone who uses their PC as the centre of their home entertainment system.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

lol... pretty madd, but im sure there are better/more efficient ways than using light bulbs... also i dont see them consuming 250ma each... or being able to get that much popcorn hot enough off 500ma...

im calling BS.....
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

its possible to use these usb cup warmer to mod one?

or is not hot enough?

:roll:
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Re: USB Popcorn Maker

Post by DJT »

Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I spoke to a final year engineering student friend of mine, though I know the technical stuff behind it, one can never be too sure. So I'll have to side with Rob on this one. Though it might produce enough heat- and that's a very big maybe- I'm calling BS too...
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Stolen from Hardforums:
I call BS. This would kill most every USB port out there, he has those 2.5V bulbs wired in parallel with a 5V source (USB) which would be drawing well over an amp from the usb port. USB ports are only rated to do 100mA typically, 500mA max. Plus, the cut scenes make it clear that it's faked, along with the fact that you couldn't pick up the hot metal can after it had been popping.
I like how the guy is mechanically smart enough to build his own USB popcorn maker, yet lacks the common sense to just flip the metal tin over while the glass jar is attached instead opting to dump the popcorn from the metal tin into the glass jar spilling the popcorn all over the place in the process.
But if you look on the packaging of the lights, you see it says 150' Celsius Heater Light.. hmm?
Prime

Post by Prime »

WiK1d wrote:Stolen from Hardforums:
I call BS. This would kill most every USB port out there, he has those 2.5V bulbs wired in parallel with a 5V source (USB) which would be drawing well over an amp from the usb port. USB ports are only rated to do 100mA typically, 500mA max. Plus, the cut scenes make it clear that it's faked, along with the fact that you couldn't pick up the hot metal can after it had been popping.
I like how the guy is mechanically smart enough to build his own USB popcorn maker, yet lacks the common sense to just flip the metal tin over while the glass jar is attached instead opting to dump the popcorn from the metal tin into the glass jar spilling the popcorn all over the place in the process.
But if you look on the packaging of the lights, you see it says 150' Celsius Heater Light.. hmm?
and 2.5V At 0.3A per bulb. i'll do some calculations and get back to you on this :?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

da_ripper wrote:and 2.5V At 0.3A per bulb. i'll do some calculations and get back to you on this :?
hmm, USB gives 5v afaik, and 500mA max, so you can run them in parallel i think..
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

you'd want to run them in series then if thats the true rating then 2.5+2.5=5v @0.3A or 300ma which is perfectly doable on a use port, but i still cant belive a) that, that is there true rating and b) they get hot enough....

BS till i see it really happen...
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

quick google gave me this:
The label on the package was changed. The bulbs shown are for 2AA or 2AAA flashlights. Rayovac doesn't make "high intensity heater lights"
Its BS sorry guys...

you are just not going to get enough heat/efficiency @ 5v-500ma unless you have a VERY well insulated container and willing to wait a LONG time for it to heat up... mebbe if you used 4 or 6 usb ports....
Prime

Post by Prime »

if i had the right bulbs i'd attempt it. would build it and put a voltage soruce on it and measure the current draw
Prime

Post by Prime »

RobThePyro wrote:quick google gave me this:
The label on the package was changed. The bulbs shown are for 2AA or 2AAA flashlights. Rayovac doesn't make "high intensity heater lights"
Its BS sorry guys...

you are just not going to get enough heat/efficiency @ 5v-500ma unless you have a VERY well insulated container and willing to wait a LONG time for it to heat up... mebbe if you used 4 or 6 usb ports....
they do look a lot like maglight bulbs
:(
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

WiK1d wrote:
da_ripper wrote:and 2.5V At 0.3A per bulb. i'll do some calculations and get back to you on this :?
hmm, USB gives 5v afaik, and 500mA max, so you can run them in parallel i think..
Absolutely correct. BUT you also have to tell the USB port that it can supply 500mA otherwise it will sit at 100mA.