Unknown PCI device???

Any hardware related topics go here.
Speedy1

Unknown PCI device???

Post by Speedy1 »

Hey ppl.

I have a pci device that does not have any drivers. Here's the kicker! i dont know what this device is. . . I have installed all my hardware drivers from the cd's that came with it. how can I determine what this device is and get a driver for it?
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

Post by CRAZYIRISHMAN121 »

Raid drivers?
Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

I did install them from my mobo disk.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Why do you want to use a device that you know nothing of? What's the point of that?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Huh? post a pic of the offending device, then we might know what you are talking about :wink:
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Need an ACPI driver for a virtual device? Asus?

Do a Windows Update. Or install the hardware monitoring software that came with your mobo.
Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

Rayne wrote:Need an ACPI driver for a virtual device? Asus?

Do a Windows Update. Or install the hardware monitoring software that came with your mobo.
Epox. windows fully updated.
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

Post by CRAZYIRISHMAN121 »

well just right click on it and click disable
Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

OK, but i still want to know what it is.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Well what add on cards have you got installed in your PCI slots? Could it be your display adaptor. can you find our what IRQ its using?
Belix

Post by Belix »

I can relate - I hate having unknow devices sitting in hardware manager

I would say disconnect all peripherals you can until you have the barebones PC, ie sound cards, usb devices the lot. If you board has built in video, rip the video card out too.
Then add devices one at a time until the unknow device reappears.
If it's still there with just the board, it must be a board device and the drivers should be on the mobo CD that came with the board. Select the "root" folder of the CD rather than any specific folder and XP should search the whole CD until it finds a river it likes.

I had two unknown devices with my asus board that turned out to be the system off cd player and some other equally obscure unused device.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

da_ripper wrote:Well what add on cards have you got installed in your PCI slots? Could it be your display adaptor. can you find our what IRQ its using?
there are no pci cards installed, display card's drivers are installed and updated.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

To determine all the devices on your system download and install AIDA32 - Majorgeeks.com should have it for ya
Temporary Absence
Speedy1

Post by Speedy1 »

Belix wrote:I can relate - I hate having unknow devices sitting in hardware manager

I would say disconnect all peripherals you can until you have the barebones PC, ie sound cards, usb devices the lot. If you board has built in video, rip the video card out too.
Then add devices one at a time until the unknow device reappears.
If it's still there with just the board, it must be a board device and the drivers should be on the mobo CD that came with the board. Select the "root" folder of the CD rather than any specific folder and XP should search the whole CD until it finds a river it likes.

I had two unknown devices with my asus board that turned out to be the system off cd player and some other equally obscure unused device.
I think what i am going to try is. . . i'm going to go to that install driver screen where it asks you to put the driver cd in, then im going to try that with all the cd's i have containing drivers. will let you know what i find. . . if that don't work, i'm goin to strip down to the bares.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Or, go to Device Manager, then check under the device properties for a hardware id, similar to the following:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_724B&SUBSYS_0B121002&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_724B&SUBSYS_0B121002
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_724B&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_724B&CC_0300

Then you can search the net for it.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
warmachine

Post by warmachine »

Dont suppose youre running an ati graphics card? i had that problem too cos the new ati cards have that built in audio device that you have to manually install. maybe? i dont know if nvidia has the same probelmo?
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

warmachine wrote:Dont suppose youre running an ati graphics card? i had that problem too cos the new ati cards have that built in audio device that you have to manually install. maybe? i dont know if nvidia has the same probelmo?
hmm thats a good point! i remember reading something like this before.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

I have the same problem, not that it has ever bothered me really, I have no PCI devices in my motherboard but it still says unknown device in the device manager
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Is your sound is not working? It also looks like you are running Vista?
warmachine

Post by warmachine »

well your sound would still be working (cos chances are you wouldnt be using your graphics card for sound, you'd be using the onboard sound or additional one)

it was a pain to work out what the unknown device was. is there a way to disable the audio on these new HDMI graphics cards?
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

What mobo do you have? I know the Asus A8n32 sli has an unknown device that turns out to be the AI NOS driver. The asus overclocking utility, it uses a driver to do it. Not that perhaps? Or a variant of it at least?
Is this thing on?Helloooo?