Windows 1, Linux 0

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Is it just me, or has no one actually tried to help Fourtyseven with his problem? Cause I think he did ask for help in his second or third post in this thread... Or is this just a rant?
g33k

Post by g33k »

Man, this is classic. XXX vs XXX is always amusing, no matter what's vs what.

My rant: You cannot compare Microsoft Windows with Linux/Unix/BSD. Stop trying to. You will never understand it. Let it go. Be a clicker. Fine. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 and do not flame that which you cannot understand.

But, if you are willing to sacrifice some time actually thinking and working things out, or are interested in understanding what stability is, go for a linux distro and work your way up.

You will soon enough learn to love that which is the *nix and eventually, the BSD architecture. :wink:
-=: Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all Children :=-
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

LOL. First, where things fall into the same category, they can be compared. Duh.

Secondly, I don't give 2cents about stability when stability means I have to sacrifice my Microsoft office, Photoshop, etc.

:D
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
g33k

Post by g33k »

D3PART3D wrote:...Secondly, I don't give 2cents about stability when stability means I have to sacrifice my Microsoft office, Photoshop, etc.

:D
LOL @ Microsoft KB. Sis on you :cry:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

g33k wrote:Man, this is classic. XXX vs XXX is always amusing, no matter what's vs what.

My rant: You cannot compare Microsoft Windows with Linux/Unix/BSD. Stop trying to. You will never understand it. Let it go. Be a clicker. Fine. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 and do not flame that which you cannot understand.

But, if you are willing to sacrifice some time actually thinking and working things out, or are interested in understanding what stability is, go for a linux distro and work your way up.

You will soon enough learn to love that which is the *nix and eventually, the BSD architecture. :wink:
Why would you ever want to learn Unix/BSD if you plan on using the PC for doing normal stuff that the normal person does? Are you building a supercomputer in your back yard made out of RROD XBOX360 CPUs?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
g33k

Post by g33k »

Hex_Rated wrote:
g33k wrote:Man, this is classic. XXX vs XXX is always amusing, no matter what's vs what.

Why would you ever want to learn Unix/BSD if you plan on using the PC for doing normal stuff that the normal person does? Are you building a supercomputer in your back yard made out of RROD XBOX360 CPUs?
d00d? Ke Pasa ? :?:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Lolz hex! Modderhaxorftw
to ápeiro anima
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

g33k wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:

d00d? Que passe (fixed) ? :?:
Gran ordenador cholo! :P

google translate ftw
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
g33k

Post by g33k »

d0'h :oops:
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

rustypup wrote::lol:

+1 funniest post of the week...

linux may not accommodate the technically challenged, but it remains the far superior OS in most respects. stability, footprint, resource management, flexibility, cost and customisation far outstrips anything microsoft has ever managed.
My Point aswell except the funny part, not every one is technical in fect most computer users arnt technical.

except their stupid Deb model that they use.

Yes microsoft also has some dependency libraries that needs to be installed on rare occasions like .NEt Direct X and most of the time when you get software on a CD you get the latest DirectX .net or Vb runtimes.

Instead you have to waste your whole cap to download updated libs

Ubuntu is so damn capable but thier claimed simplicity is not simple in such a way for any user to use it, they could easily make it better and stand a chance to replace a MS os.

Ubuntu is a sin
a wasted talent if you ask me.
fbman

Post by fbman »

Well, I am about to make to Windows 2 Linux 0

I am a data analysis and I often move large amounts of data across my network.

I dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows Vista SP1.

When I move large amounts of data, I use Windows Vista SP1, as across my network I get about 10 Meg a second opposes to Ubuntu's 3 Megs a second. Before SP1, Vista matched Ubuntu's performance. At least MS did some thing right, now they must work in boot time.

I have 1 Gig a second Switch and network card is 1 Gbs.
shiv

Re:

Post by shiv »

SBSP wrote:
My Point aswell except the funny part, not every one is technical in fect most computer users arnt technical.

except their stupid Deb model that they use.

Yes microsoft also has some dependency libraries that needs to be installed on rare occasions like .NEt Direct X and most of the time when you get software on a CD you get the latest DirectX .net or Vb runtimes.

Instead you have to waste your whole cap to download updated libs

Ubuntu is so damn capable but thier claimed simplicity is not simple in such a way for any user to use it, they could easily make it better and stand a chance to replace a MS os.

Ubuntu is a sin
a wasted talent if you ask me
LOL LOL.
Every time a new ubuntu is released, I order the CD, cos it's free.
I install it, and remove it about 15 minutes later.
Ubuntu doesn't change much, version 7 was nothing interesting.
Same crappy software bundle, horrific hardware support (PCLinuxOS was flawless).
I should check the PCLOS web site by the way......
I look more forward to a new Windows, cos I know something new (and hopefully) better will actually be released.
Yes, Vista is an exception, but SP1 seems to have fixed that quite a bit, though it's still lacking.
shiv

Re:

Post by shiv »

linux may not accommodate the technically challenged, but it remains the far superior OS in most respects. stability, footprint, resource management, flexibility, cost and customisation far outstrips anything microsoft has ever managed.
That's where the advantages of *nix end.
I (and most users) will be far more productive on Windows.

Besides, at some point, MS might actually get it right and design the OS better.
Then, what are you gonna complain about? Cost?
:mrgreen:
WAJeff

Re: Windows 1, Linux 0

Post by WAJeff »

shiv wrote:

Besides, at some point, MS might actually get it right and design the OS better.
:roll:
Here we go

The advantages end when the user of whatever OS doesnt know anymore
That goes for both OS's here - I might be able to do more things in Linux than I can in Windows

So there you go
This debate is so damn boring now, cant we just agree on the fact that certain people want certain OS's and end of story?
I use Linux, but Im not gonna force it down everyones throats, and say how crap MS OS's are
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:
shiv wrote:

:roll:
Here we go

The advantages end when the user of whatever OS doesnt know anymore
That goes for both OS's here - I might be able to do more things in Linux than I can in Windows

So there you go
This debate is so damn boring now, cant we just agree on the fact that certain people want certain OS's and end of story?
I use Linux, but Im not gonna force it down everyones throats, and say how crap MS OS's are

LOL OK, I'm also bored now.
shiv

Re:

Post by shiv »

Now if we throw Windows 7 into the mix, would it be Windows 3 Linux 0?? :mrgreen:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Why the 4 month resurrection, JUST so you can troll?
to ápeiro anima
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:Why the 4 month resurrection, JUST so you can troll?
Hell why not :mrgreen:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

shiv, :smack: :P
to ápeiro anima
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:shiv, :smack: :P
Windows 7 will do that even more to *nix. :mrgreen:

I'm reading that Linux hater's blog, lmfao :lol:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

shiv, Shameless display of narrow-mindedness.

Go make coffee whilst IE recovers or your Windows reboots.
to ápeiro anima
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:shiv, Shameless display of narrow-mindedness.

Go make coffee whilst IE recovers or your Windows reboots.
Linux users tend to think of us Windows users as narrow-minded, so yay!!

I'm using Firefox.
And Windows is just fine thanks.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

shiv, SO, MS & Windows are so full of WIN!!!!, that you don't use their "free" browser?

Awesomeness.
to ápeiro anima
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:shiv, SO, MS & Windows are so full of WIN!!!!, that you don't use their "free" browser?

Awesomeness.
When I talk about Windows, I'm referring to the OS primarily, not the apps.
IE is rubbish, only make use of it when MS decides to further deviate from web standards. I just use the IE tab add on for Firefox.

I'm about to fall off my chair, that blog is hilarious:
==================
M$ M$ M$,
Do you believe in M$

I was going to try to type a similar thing for Linux, but I can't seem to find a food stamp sign to match your dollar sign.
==================
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

shiv, You really need other things to talk about on the forums. It seems every post I see from you is aimed at a Windows vs Linux debate

Its seriously over rated by now. Google windows vs linux. I dont even wanna know how many sites its gonna pull up. Dont you think its time to give it a break??
I really enjoy Linux. I like tweaking conf files, messing around with boot options, themes etc etc
I really enjoy Windows for gaming

Each to his own. Some people (like myself) prefer Linux as an OS, others prefer Microsoft as an OS (for example Stuart) He swears by Vista. I swear by Debian
Look at inter-Linux debates. Some people cant stand distros, just like Im sure guys who use MS OS's cant stand XP compared to Vista for example

Its all about personal opinion here. Admittedly I use XP at work, purely because I was shown the role of my job on XP