Windows 1, Linux 0

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hmmm, then i am indeed a fanboy. Thanks for the correction DR :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

UrBaN wrote:DX doesnt support Ray Tracing, OpenGL does. Linux supports OpenGL. Ray Tracing is the future of graphical representation apparently. Hmmmza
read "I hate Linux graphics" here: http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

linux graphics FTL I'm afraid... except if you run nVidia hardware...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Chermobil

Post by Chermobil »

I like how guys want to support mark shuttleworth, but Ubuntu is reserved for people with broadband access unfortunately and PCLinuxOs is more for people who want to testdrive and not really get their hands dirty..
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Whatever... People have their preferences, it's called brand loyalty. It exists in every aspect of life. If you don't buy what's best or best value, you are a fanboy. I like BMWs, I would take a similarly specced BMW over a Merc, Audi, Volvo or SAAB. You could even say I'm a BMW fanboy, more out of respect for their technology and good looks (E46 3 series and below). But if Merc came out with a good looking hatch with a 3.0l supercharged/turbo engine and descent suspension for R325k, I would buy one in a second. My current fascinations are 135i or 330d, I live on the highveld, a turbocharger is necessary.

But regardless fanboyism is not a created subject. It was invented long before computers and is a dying breed because most people don't have to rely on word of mouth or abrupt magazine reviews. There is something called the Internet and it's revolutionizing what people buy and what brands get bought, simply because less people are fanboys now than ever before.
Advocate - Never reluctant to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the product. May not be fully satisfied, in fact, advocates have temporary relationships because they are the hard-to-please, informed customer.
How is this being a fanboy in the slightest sense? Why is it even given a number, clearly this is the opposite of a fanboy. It is rated between dependency and compulsion, clearly someone screwed that chart up.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

On that Linux hater site: (I lol-ed)
I don't know which is more funny. Your blog or the responses of linux fanboys. First they force it down your throat by spamming every place in the web possible, installing linux on their friends computers and then when you come up with reasonable arguments against it they accuse you of wasting your time, being childlish, biased and then they suddenly come up with "no one forces you to you use it" and "if you don't like it don't use it". Well, remember your words next time you wonder why nobody uses it or digg up another "the year the world chose linux" bullsh*t article.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

KDE is a divine construction of the greatest minds who have ever lived. These developers, these superhuman, godlike entities merged together into a single, divine, and (most importantly) open source consciousness (just picture a Protoss Archon) to construct the most wondrous and glorious jewel mankind has ever ever dared itself to conceive....

KDE4.

KDE4 is the ultimate expression of human ingenuity and perfection.
Plasmoids are the alpha and omega, they are the beginning and end of all universes, now and forever.

Put simply, KDE4 is all you'll ever need. Therefore, if you experience problems and bugs using it, the fault must lie with you.

The poisonous user. The grovelling, lowly user who has "needs" and requires "applications".

If it crashes, it is your fault. You haven't configured it correctly. Check your configs and libs.
If something doesn't work, its because you broke it. Recompile the kernel. Buy a different graphics card.

Don't you dare ever criticize the KDE gods, or you will be sent to a linux sponsored re-education facility, where you will be forced to play "TuxRacer" in a darkened room 22 hours a day for the next 10 years, or until you recant your criticism, and come out and accept the KDE developers as your incarnated deities.
I like this one too. :D

Why is it the user who is to blame? Why are we the idiots if things don't work on Linux? (Erm, think no good games on Linux? And Wine only runs a few of the Windows ones. And the OP who couldn't get a modem to work after days/weeks of struggling.)

I should stop now. I'm getting all worked up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Bladerunner on 08 Jul 2008, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Chermobil

Post by Chermobil »

Bladerunner wrote:On that Linux hater site: (I lol-ed)
I don't know which is more funny. Your blog or the responses of linux fanboys. First they force it down your throat by spamming every place in the web possible, installing linux on their friends computers and then when you come up with reasonable arguments against it they accuse you of wasting your time, being childlish, biased and then they suddenly come up with "no one forces you to you use it" and "if you don't like it don't use it". Well, remember your words next time you wonder why nobody uses it or digg up another "the year the world chose linux" bullsh*t article.
I agree with that person, people shouldnt be forced to use linux, because if people can be cohersed in such a manner they are obviously members of the sheep family and belonging in the mainstream system. No arguements
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Leave Linux to those that love it and can use it (government stay the !@#$ away from it. you cant even get basics right).

Windows for those that like your OS to take care of stuff for you.

I used linux for 2 weeks. I wasnt all that impressed though. Windows XP still does it for me even up to today. Just a shame that dx10 had to be made vista exclusive (R.I.P. dx10 gaming).
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Chermobil wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:On that Linux hater site: (I lol-ed)
I agree with that person, people shouldnt be forced to use linux, because if people can be cohersed in such a manner they are obviously members of the sheep family and belonging in the mainstream system. No arguements
Ahhh. A cheap shot at Windows users, baaaaaaaaaaa? You can use Mac if you want a solid PC (that looks good and can only run certain software) or Linux. No one is forcing you, the sheep are the clever ones in this analogy, they get less BS issues, ease of use and a huge range of decently priced apps. The real sheep are the Linux and Mac users who only buy / download because it's "cool" and is highly customizable. Most linux geeks can't even give proper reasons as to why Windows is the Devil and Linux is savior of mankind. They struggle with propaganda they they here spewing from their Mac or Linux friends.

Using Linux is the new cool thing to do. It's reputation has made it cool, in reality it sucks as a consumer OS.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hex, please donate your brain to me when you die.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Haha, that Linux haters blog is funny... :lol:
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

and as can be expected.. This thread went on way tooo long ..
he he

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

StarBound wrote:Leave Linux to those that love it and can use it (government stay the !@#$ away from it. you cant even get basics right).

Windows for those that like your OS to take care of stuff for you.

I used linux for 2 weeks. I wasnt all that impressed though. Windows XP still does it for me even up to today. Just a shame that dx10 had to be made vista exclusive (R.I.P. dx10 gaming).
It is important to note that reverse-engineers have proven that DX10 can work on XP, Microsoft is just making it a Vista exclusive to get more people to switch.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Not another one... *sigh*

DX10 will not work under XP. Try searching for the countless threads n00bs like yourself have started, and see why. :P

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

What confuses the @#$%^ out of me is that avvy... I initially thought it was KB that posted, then saw KB posting....

am I the only one that ID the guys here on an avvy as opposed to checking forum names ?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

M1ke wrote:It is important to note that reverse-engineers have proven that DX10 can work on XP, Microsoft is just making it a Vista exclusive to get more people to switch.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that all they did was map DX10 function calls to DX9 function calls. That's not what I would exactly call "DX10 on XP".
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
PypLaCe

Post by PypLaCe »

I take my hat of to you fourtyseven! Spending two months just to get a modem working is just insane. One would expect an OS like Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) to support every single device available and normal stuff like gaming (and don't come with that, "but you can play games on linux" argument) since there are all those people out there working on it. But I guess not.

Anyway, all the reasons why linux suck balls has already been said a million times. I'll stick to Windows thank you very much.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

D3PART3D wrote:Not another one... *sigh*

DX10 will not work under XP. Try searching for the countless threads n00bs like yourself have started, and see why. :P

okay, I apologize. :( Misunderstood what I read, obviously.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

LOL, not your fault - it's all the lies on the internetz.

People saying Linux > Windows and stuff. ;) :lol:

- Elon Musk
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Sojourn wrote:What confuses the @#$%^ out of me is that avvy... I initially thought it was KB that posted, then saw KB posting....

am I the only one that ID the guys here on an avvy as opposed to checking forum names ?
Ever notice when people change their avvy, people respond differently to that person after they've changed their avvy? It's built into the human psyche that we judge a person on looks and react accordingly, it stretches over to forums.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Hex_Rated wrote:
Sojourn wrote:What confuses the @#$%^ out of me is that avvy... I initially thought it was KB that posted, then saw KB posting....

Ever notice when people change their avvy, people respond differently to that person after they've changed their avvy? It's built into the human psyche that we judge a person on looks and react accordingly, it stretches over to forums.
and the topic goes missing. :lol:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

PypLaCe wrote:I take my hat of to you fourtyseven! Spending two months just to get a modem working is just insane. One would expect an OS like Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) to support every single device available and normal stuff like gaming (and don't come with that, "but you can play games on linux" argument) since there are all those people out there working on it. But I guess not.

Anyway, all the reasons why linux suck balls has already been said a million times. I'll stick to Windows thank you very much.
I spent two months without internet connection on my main PC because the linksys USB Wifi adapter didn't have 64bit drivers. I eventually found a hacked ASUS driver that runs almost the same chips inside and used that. It worked. Vista x64 is like linux in that sense, not everyone develops drivers for them.

EDIT
M1ke wrote:and the topic goes missing. Laughing
Sorry I couldn't resist. :P
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

D3PART3D wrote:Hex, please donate your brain to me when you die.
I plan to ruin it when I get old with booze, pain killers and whatever else my senile a$s can score. So you might not want it when I'm done with it. :D
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hex_Rated wrote:Ever notice when people change their avvy, people respond differently to that person after they've changed their avvy? It's built into the human psyche that we judge a person on looks and react accordingly, it stretches over to forums.
LOL, now this is so true. People scan for information about where you are in the social hierarchy.

Which explains why a certain mod seems to be after my blood lately.
Hex_Rated wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:Hex, please donate your brain to me when you die.
I plan to ruin it when I get old with booze, pain killers and whatever else my senile a$s can score. So you might not want it when I'm done with it. :D
:lol:

- Elon Musk
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Ron2K wrote:
M1ke wrote:It is important to note that reverse-engineers have proven that DX10 can work on XP, Microsoft is just making it a Vista exclusive to get more people to switch.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that all they did was map DX10 function calls to DX9 function calls. That's not what I would exactly call "DX10 on XP".
Wh00ps! Had to.

What you are saying is true. Back in the day when I used XP, I downloaded this DX10 for XP, and to tell you the truth, all of the filenames match the DX9 ones (and thus I can deduce that the function calls were changed as well). It did give me DX10 in XP though, but at a price. My system became very unstable and game performance (even DX9 games) dropped hectically.