Negative Review of AVG IS

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Sojourn wrote:Is Nod32 really that good ?
Why have I never heared of them?

Why is nobody mentioning norton ?
I feel Norton hogs to many resources. Although I can't vouch for the 2008 version as I haven't had enough time to play around with it.
2006 and 2007 really gave me some headaches on clients machines over the years - particularly trying to uninstall it. Their uninstall frequently failed for me and I had to download the Norton removal tool. The fact that you need a tool to rid yourself of the older norton versions really irked me.

Nod32 is a great AV but it really is not advertised properly. Most of the general public (and quite a few IT people) don't even know about Nod32, for which i guess you must blame the marketing machine.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:Is Nod32 really that good ?
NOD32 and kaspersky lead the AV pack... with kaspersky probably tipping NOD32 from its perch sometime this year, for the first time.

Norton is somewhere around 12/13 in the detection/protection race. many's the time i've seen nod catch nasties when replacing norton....

nod's resource footprint is miniscule, updates are regular and tiny and you can play whilst having the in depth scan run in the background... nod has been acknowledged as the market leader for a few years now, but not outside of the security industry, hence the lack of glossy cover....

there again, eset probably accepts that its market is no the casual user, who is more inclined to grab free-to-use, less effective, solutions...

in the end, no av is perfect. if the user is a dolt, s/he will become infected.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
jee

Post by jee »

puppi, what about Trend micro?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jee wrote:what about Trend micro?
i am not a fan...

actually, i would take norton over trend, any day of the week... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

schase wrote:
Sojourn wrote:Why is nobody mentioning norton ?
Because this thread is about ANTI-Viruses, not viruses.
norton isnt all that bad 8O but there is better products on the market though... i had norton on my pc and it turned my pc into a fortress... couldnt even open certain websites because it saw the site as spyware 8O

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

rustypup wrote:
jee wrote:what about Trend micro?
i am not a fan...

actually, i would take norton over trend, any day of the week... :wink:
You're kidding, right? I use Avast! but Would take trend Micro If I had a license.