Free hosting / Domain Registration

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Mr_Norris

Free hosting / Domain Registration

Post by Mr_Norris »

Hi there,

I need help.
I want to make myself a website, but I have no idea how to go about doing it. It'll be simple, no forums or anything like that. And for now, I'd like it to all be free, because my website design is in the noob stages and cause of cash flow.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks a mil.

PS: May my job rest in peace...
tjecco

Post by tjecco »

try www.000webhost.com

they'll supply a free sub domain
Mubz

Post by Mubz »

you can also try

http://www.freehostia.com/
Free subdomain and Hosting
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

www.awardspace.com also provides free sub-domain and hosting
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Or http://www.quotaless.com for the server space, and http://www.freedomain.co.nr for a top level domain.
My website here is hosted by them and I know next to nothing about webdesign.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Apparently .za.net domains are free?
http://www.za.net/

Then just get a free host :P
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Zana

Re: Free hosting / Domain Registration

Post by Zana »

The best free website hosting on the planet !! a whopping 200Mbs 3Gb bandwidth with database , SQL etc support and PHP... and bannerless addless (just ad a banner of your own design if you want to thank them for such a wonderfull free hosting if you have etiquite and is violuntary) for free at http://www.free-space.net . But for banner and add based hosting you get about a 500 Mb or gig i think of strorage space

Now what free hosting does south africa have ... bugger all ! The above mentioned you would normally pay about on average R200 per month.. Realy whips south africa's web hosting asses..

:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't know guys, why don't you just go the non-free route? Hosting and domains isn't all that expensive.

Elitehost hosts my website. They've given me the "Professional" package, which will cost you R100 a month (not me though :P ). That R100 gets you 2.2GB of space and 22GB of bandwidth. That's overkill for most of us.

You can also get a R20 package from them, which gives 300MB Disk space, and 3GBs of bandwidth. Even that should be enough for most "end-users".

Have a look at this:

Elitehost

Domains are also pretty cheap. I think my daejavoo.com domain costs about 80 bucks a year or something like that. I'm not sure though. I don't pay for that either but if you need the details i can find it for you.

I personally hate it when i see a website that's a sub-domain of some stupid "free website" busniess. It looks incredibly unproffessional.

EDIT: Yeah, my domain costs R85 a year, with Serv
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Zana

Post by Zana »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't know guys, why don't you just go the non-free route? EDIT: Yeah, my domain costs R85 a year, with Serv
ehem not LL OF US HAS STUPID JOBS TO AFFORD PAYING HOSTS... I would gladly pay if i had a job... and i am so tiered of being unemployed etc etc, blady blah blah... and job hunting is got to a stage that a regular tummy bug is bliss compared to the nausiousness of being rejected with every single applicaion..
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Anybody can afford R24 per month.

Stop being cheap and get a proper setup. Nobody ever takes a free host serious.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

I understand. Y pay for sumthing if u just experimenting hey? Mr_Norris, is looking for a free host to experiment. so free would be best. if he finds that his good at the web design thing then he can get a payed for host.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Zana

Post by Zana »

maxxis wrote:Anybody can afford R24 per month.

No not everyone has R24 to spend on a host per month , if they are unemployed and most of the money what they have goes on medical things... again ... "buy or die"..

Secondly the saying goes, dont judge a book by its cover, and also dont judge a site by its host and domain...

In otherwords, you can have bothe professional and unproffessional sites on paid places and domains and also bothe unprofessional and professional sites on free hosts and domains...

Who hasnt come accross site, that is on a paid host, and has a proper .com or .za domain, and just has utter rubbish on there site, even I have seen a 5 line paragarph of dribble with a heading in plain text , now that to me is a waste of money... so is that person is a professional just because he is on a paid host?

realy that is unbelievable, and all it is a new constraint of beauocracy imposed by the SYSTEM to make the elite more elite and those who are struggeling or different get dragged through the mud...

why is it that people are so selfish and greedy when it comes to money... but what is worse is this whole presteeeeg thing... its pathetic,...
no wonder why thoise who have good families, facilities find work so **** easy.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Google does free websites, if you have gmail then you're signed up already... ;)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

wow. D3PART3D, i didn't know that. hmm. wat is the address for that?
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Zana wrote:
maxxis wrote:Anybody can afford R24 per month.

No not everyone has R24 to spend on a host per month , if they are unemployed and most of the money what they have goes on medical things... again ... "buy or die"..

Secondly the saying goes, dont judge a book by its cover, and also dont judge a site by its host and domain...

In otherwords, you can have bothe professional and unproffessional sites on paid places and domains and also bothe unprofessional and professional sites on free hosts and domains...

Who hasnt come accross site, that is on a paid host, and has a proper .com or .za domain, and just has utter rubbish on there site, even I have seen a 5 line paragarph of dribble with a heading in plain text , now that to me is a waste of money... so is that person is a professional just because he is on a paid host?

realy that is unbelievable, and all it is a new constraint of beauocracy imposed by the SYSTEM to make the elite more elite and those who are struggeling or different get dragged through the mud...

why is it that people are so selfish and greedy when it comes to money... but what is worse is this whole presteeeeg thing... its pathetic,...
no wonder why thoise who have good families, facilities find work so **** easy.
Show me one professional site on a free host and domain and I will retract my statement.

Finding work has nothing to do with having good families, facilities etc. It has to do with really wanting to find work and putting in the extra effort.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

@ maxxis, look at this site. it was done on freewebs

http://www.oceanavilla.com
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Yes but with a proper domain. That site is horrible btw.
Show me one professional site on a free host and domain and I will retract my statement.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

wats wrong with that site? i think its pretty good. the ppl made it themselves and have no knowledge of web design.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Or here: http://www.flashphoto.co.nr
But if you are looking for one that has a crappy free domain name, you can try here as well: http://pctopics.koh3.com
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

maxxis wrote:Yes but with a proper domain. That site is horrible btw.
I agree. Well, I have seen worse. But honestly, this:

"1004px × 667px (scaled to 304px × 304px)" is unacceptable. How bloody lazy are you that you can't re-size and optimize an image for your website? Really.

And the scrolling is horrible.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

TheModDoctor wrote:Or here: http://www.flashphoto.co.nr
But if you are looking for one that has a crappy free domain name, you can try here as well: http://pctopics.koh3.com
Flashphoto is horrid

PCTopics is a PHP3BB with a template. Nothing special about it.

Im talking about a professional business site running on free hosting with a free domain.

Forums don't apply.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

maxxis wrote:Flashphoto is horrid
What would make it better then?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Personally a well thought out design would be a good start.

It lacks various things and at the moment we are derailing this thread beyond return :p