Go to page function

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Go to page function

Post by Monty »

Many threads on this forum have multiple pages (Some just a few, others a few hundred or thousand). Could an easier, less time and bandwidth way of going to the pages in the middle please be implemented?? (clicking 'next' or 'previous' a hundred or so times becomes tedious and messing with the address bar does not always yield the wanted results)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i second this. 8) so many threads got over 100 pages and i have missed most but don't have lis to go back cos it takes long to get back to a specific page if i stop reading sumwhere and wanna carry on again later. (imagine stopping on page 50... u start on page 1. it ends on page 100. so now if u wanna get back u must page over all pages from 1 or 100 to get back. not nice on cap)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DeathStrike wrote:i second this. 8) so many threads got over 100 pages and i have missed most but don't have lis to go back cos it takes long to get back to a specific page if i stop reading sumwhere and wanna carry on again later. (imagine stopping on page 50... u start on page 1. it ends on page 100. so now if u wanna get back u must page over all pages from 1 or 100 to get back. not nice on cap)
CTRL + D
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Im with monty and DeathStrike
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It is mildly irritating, but I wonder if it's even something that can be fixed? I suspect it comes standard like that and can't be changed.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Calls Ron2k for some expert advice...

:D Roooon where are you ?
Temporary Absence
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

He's not online yet.

I agree that it will be a good idea. Browsing through pages is a pain, especially when the thread reaches in the thousands of pages.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I think Ron's going to start hiding his online status! :lol:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I'm here! Enough with the PM spam, people! :P

Right, time for business. It's not a phpBB 2 feature, and neither is it in phpBB 3. I'll ask around on the phpBB forums and see if someone's coded a modification that adds this functionality.

EDIT:
schase wrote:I think Ron's going to start hiding his online status! :lol:
I already have. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:? how do you know which page you're hunting out of the thousand?..

as functionality goes, this makes as much sense as having a monitor dispense pea-soup...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:as functionality goes, this makes as much sense as having a monitor dispense pea-soup...
Wow, pea-soup from my monitor. That's not a bad idea! DAE ... !
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

rustypup wrote::? how do you know which page you're hunting out of the thousand?..

as functionality goes, this makes as much sense as having a monitor dispense pea-soup...
You may have a vague idea which area you were reading in? Or you may simply want to jump 10 pages back, in order to catch the start of some or other point of conversation?
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UrBaN wrote:
rustypup wrote::? how do you know which page you're hunting out of the thousand?..

You may have a vague idea which area you were reading in? Or you may simply want to jump 10 pages back, in order to catch the start of some or other point of conversation?
Or you may have a clever mathematical formula whereby you can gauge precisely which page you need to be reading.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

schase wrote:
UrBaN wrote:

Or you may have a clever mathematical formula whereby you can gauge precisely which page you need to be reading.
You may even be having a cup of green tea, and spot the answer amongst the leaves - what then? You know which page to read but can't get there? ENter GOTOPAGE function. ;)
to ápeiro anima
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Imagine all 4000+ pages of the spam thread lined out 1 up to 4000+

As logical as it may seem, I doubt anyone would want to refer to page 1638 of the spam thread.

:dontknow:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

The only threads that go over a thousand pages are the spam threads - and missing a few pages there is hardly consequential.

Even the non-spam threads like Intel vs AMD & ATI vs NVIDIA... if you miss a few pages it doesn't matter, because technology moves so fast old discussions in those topics are obsolete in a matter of weeks.

So why is this feature so essential?

We already have enough stuff to sort out on the forums - time, no post messages etc...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

UrBaN wrote:you may simply want to jump 10 pages back
you can currently hop 3 pages back.. perhaps extending this to 5 would make sense at some point, but, as per jamin's comment, i would far rather have the forums stability issues resolved long before this type of feature creep is even considered...

< i cannot honestly recall ever having to page through a thread to this degree.. not once... is this a spam thing ?>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

You wouldn't line up all 4000 pages next to each other - just a simple textbox with a "Take me to this page, and your leader!" button would suffice. :wink:

Having said that, jamin and rusty have made some pretty valid points regarding the necessity of such a feature. Also, if you know exactly what you're looking for, there is the search feature (which is much improved in v3).
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Weeelll - if you REALLY wanto to go back into the future (although I agree I canna see the reasonfor it)

Go to your adress bar and change the last part

"postorder=asc&start=91305"

This page starts at post #91305. I think there are 15 posts to the page so the math is quite easy?

edit: Go back one page first.
Last edited by doo_much on 10 Jun 2008, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

doo_much wrote:Weeelll - if you REALLY wanto to go back into the future (although I agree I canna see the reasonfor it)

Go to your adress bar and change the last part

"postorder=asc&start=91305"

This page starts at post #91305. I think there are 15 posts to the page so the math is quite easy?
Quite right.

The thing to remember is that page 1 starts at post 0, page 2 starts at post 15, etc.

However, there is a spanner in the works - the 15 posts per page thing is a setting in the ACP that can be changed at any time. I can't think why I would want to change it from 15, but bear in mind that it can happen (although it's very unlikely to happen on this board). I think new phpBB 3 installations default to 10 posts per page these days, and the first forum that I ever posted on had it set to 20 posts per page.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

PaperCut wrote:Imagine all 4000+ pages of the spam thread lined out 1 up to 4000+

As logical as it may seem, I doubt anyone would want to refer to page 1638 of the spam thread.

:dontknow:

What I mean is have a bar where you can type in the page number you want
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:The only threads that go over a thousand pages are the spam threads - and missing a few pages there is hardly consequential.
*gasp*

Heresy! Insubordination! Treason! Recant, heathen, or find yourself exposed in the (perhaps)-soon-to-be-revised SN24!

No, jamin, not THAT type of exposed. Don't get so excited!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Going back to the topic - I've just discovered that the "jump to page" feature is in phpBB 3 - I just never noticed it before. :oops:

You'll therefore see it implemented when the big upgrade is done.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Ron2K wrote:Going back to the topic - I've just discovered that the "jump to page" feature is in phpBB 3 - I just never noticed it before. :oops:

You'll therefore see it implemented when the big upgrade is done.
Awesome. Thanks Ron2K