PSP2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
thefha

PSP2

Post by thefha »

hi i am thinking of buying a playstation 2 end of month, since i cant afford psp3 and xbox(black box which i am still saving for).
I have this fear that soon playstation 2 will no longer be in the market.
what do you suggest guys? should i buy it?

the PC i am using does not have powerful features and you cant really upgrade it.
Its a DELL NSeries 3.0 pentium which i am thinking of trading it in, what do you suggest i do with this old PC. I only use it to watch movies and run SQL2005 on it.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Dont you mean PS2 not PSP2.. The psp is the hand held/portable one... ??

( If I were you , I would rather save up and buy the one you want , even if it takes a while longer to get it)
senile

Post by senile »

Did you mean PS2 and PS3?
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Think he wants to buy the PS2 . Cause he cant afford the the Xbox 360 or PS3.
thefha

Post by thefha »

I meant PS2
So you mean i should save for 4months then buy Xbox. i think i can do that.

What about my PC, Any suggestion?
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

PCs are not an investment, returns are extremely diminishing and I honestly doubt you'll get R500 for your PC. You can rather hang onto it and once you've upgraded you can turn it into a media centre/PVR or something, else give it to the disadvantaged.

As for the PS2 story, rather save your money, XBoxes are retailing for around R3000 and the R1500 you'll fork out for an PS2 is like half your funds.

Keep in mind that an XBox/PS3 is an expensive hobby, with games coming in at around R400-600 whilst their PC counterparts are normally half the price. Rather save up for adecent PC...
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Umm yip. dont buy something just for the sake of buying.. Buy the item you want and you wont have regrets....

As for the PC.. Dont ask me up to you. You could sell it and rather buy a notebook if you dont use it for gaming.....

I stopped upgrading my Pc. Getting too pricey.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

As a matter of interest, what's the general feeling with buying an Xbox 360 these days? Now that Blu-ray has won the high-def war, aren't we asking for trouble buying an Xbox which has an HD-DVD drive? How long do you think they're going to carry on making stuff for that format? Aren't we going to see the Beta/VHS thing all over again and all be forced to move to Blu-ray if we want high-def stuff?
thefha

Post by thefha »

Well it is bcos its cheaper than ps3 and its compatibility with PCs
halo

Post by halo »

thefha wrote:Well it is bcos its cheaper than ps3 and its compatibility with PCs
well, im not too sure about that... Both consoles are great fun. I for one saved up for a PS3 since i prefer it to the xbox, but that does mean the Xbox is bad. But here are a few things you should keep in mind:

Xbox:

• * you can get an arcade for R1000, only thing is it doesnt have a harddrive which isnt a great thing when the next batch of games need HDD installs.
    * Xbox has a huge collection of great games and when you consider that some of those games are now at bargin bin prices, you could pick up at a gears of war and maybe a saints row for the cost of one new game.
    * the consoles main problem in my eyes is its that its lost the whole "HD" backing the MS were advertising as... non of its games run at true HD (1080p) and now it doesnt have a HD disk player, its kinda looking dead in the water in my eyes
    * buying a new HDD is going to cost you alot R1000 for 20 GB alot!
PS3
  • * abit on the expensive side of life. i think the 40GB PS3 is selling for R4500 which a lot of money, on the onther hand, sony is releasing the 80GB MGS4 bundle for $500 overseas, so maybe take a look at getting off ebay or something.
    * If you can get an 80Gb or even 60GB ps3 you can play every game released on PS3 and PS2, and PS1 for that matter... which is a) alot and b) great because almost all the great PS2 games are rather cheap...
    * PS3 is the only HD console left.
    * upgrading the hdd is as simple as buy a laptop one and plugging it in
That being said, if money is tight but you are keen for a console, i would get a Xbox 360 pro. it comes with a wireless controller and 20Gb HDD. the new ones also have less hardware issue and have HDMI if that matters to you at all...
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

halo wrote: * you can get an arcade for R1000, only thing is it doesnt have a harddrive which isnt a great thing when the next batch of games need HDD installs.
You mean for R1999? Or are you talking second hand?
halo

Post by halo »

Fallen wrote:
halo wrote: * you can get an arcade for R1000, only thing is it doesnt have a harddrive which isnt a great thing when the next batch of games need HDD installs.
Im talking R999, my friend and I went to Incredable connection in Gateway when they had their sale last month and found the arcades for R999 on sale... he bought one on the spot... I was floored when i saw the price, plus they are then new versions with better cooling and HDMI ports! not bad when you consider you could just buy a HDD for R999 and have a pro system for R1998... was tempting to be honest!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Xbox 360 is a pc without mouse and keyboard. PS3 has more exclusive titles that you wont be getting on pc plus you have a blue ray player then.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

halo wrote:
Fallen wrote:
Im talking R999, my friend and I went to Incredable connection in Gateway when they had their sale last month and found the arcades for R999 on sale... he bought one on the spot... I was floored when i saw the price, plus they are then new versions with better cooling and HDMI ports! not bad when you consider you could just buy a HDD for R999 and have a pro system for R1998... was tempting to be honest!
Wow.
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

pienkie wrote:
halo wrote:
Fallen wrote:
Wow.
Dude...thats totally what she said 8) :lol:
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
thefha

Post by thefha »

Which one is better between the new block that comes in Black color, compared to PS3
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

LOL^^

Im sure i read somewhere you can buy a 20gig(or40gig) laptop
(2.5") sata hdd, plug it into the pc, do some formating and put a couple files on it, then plug it into the Xbox and your sorted?

a quick look and i can get a hitachi 40gb 2.5" hdd for ~R300 and a WD 60gig for ~R400

Rob.
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
thefha

Post by thefha »

thefha wrote:Which one is better between the new xblock that comes in Black color, compared to PS3
so the black color is just color. no special features?
halo

Post by halo »

thefha wrote:
thefha wrote:Which one is better between the new xblock that comes in Black color, compared to PS3
so the black color is just color. no special features?
well the Black Xbox is called the Elite, its the top of the Xbox range. comes with a 120GB harddrive and HDMI support, with a black wireless controller and i think a playandrecharge kit (not too sure) i believe thats pretty much the end of the differences...

but as they say, its best to check it out for yourself:

Xbox 360 comparsions
neosephiroth
Permanently Banned

Post by neosephiroth »

if you on a budget get the ps2 great little system R1500 ova500 games available in south africa...half of them are extremly good and wont set you back 250 (R199 platinum range+50 ordering from musica,rythmic beat...ect) well as been able to play dvds music
thefha

Post by thefha »

That's what i was thinking. Espcially when you can still find newly released games also on ps2, i think for now i will settle for your advice
thanks neosephiroth.
Which Game should i start testing my new ps2 with?
Futs

Post by Futs »

God of war 2 | Dragon Ball Z Budokai" Tenkaichi 3

hours of fun
halo

Post by halo »

thefha wrote:That's what i was thinking. Espcially when you can still find newly released games also on ps2, i think for now i will settle for your advice
thanks neosephiroth.
Which Game should i start testing my new ps2 with?
well, if you are planing on getting a new PS2, you might as well get an Xbox, its got better games and will continue to get new games, while the PS2 is starting to look abit dead in the water.

according to HI FI coorp, a new PS2 will cost you R1650 while the Xbox 360 Arcade will cost you R1980... im pretty sure that the extra R300 is well worth it. It would make more sense, at least to me... Game wise , again according to HI FI Coorp prices, PS2 games range from R130 - R480 but when you consider that NF pro street on the PS2 costs R100 more than on the 360 ( promise, looking at the ad right now) it seems that the Xbox would be a better choice... well atleast to me...
thefha

Post by thefha »

I am planning to buy Xbox Elite December, so for now i will settle for PS2.
Thanx for the advice.
halo

Post by halo »

thefha wrote:I am planning to buy Xbox Elite December, so for now i will settle for PS2.
Thanx for the advice.
Sure you wana drop half the consoles price for something that you only plan to use for a few months? Just a thought