How little do users read?

Get help on databases - MySQL, Oracle, Access, etc.
jee

How little do users read?

Post by jee »

On the average Web page, users have time to read at most 28% of the words during an average visit; 20% is more likely.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/percent-text-read.html

slightly skewed research, yet has some interesting points.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Perhaps more to the point: Users give the time to read 20-28% of the text on a page.

At first I wondered about the accuracy of this, but the more I think about it the more I realise that it's probably true of me. Yes, there are a handful of blogs that I read thoroughly every day, but very often I do just skim through what is before me.
jee

Post by jee »

i just don't like their sample much - there are some many other variables that can change that.... would like to see that research done on the ordinary Internet user.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Sorry what did you say??? I missed that last comment :P :wink:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I have little doubt they are correct, perhaps not the figures of 20 - 28% but certainly the skimming part is true of most sites. The exceptions are when you are searching for detailed technical help, then I do indeed read it all and in fact will normally print as well.
In fact I only skimmed their page :!: :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jee wrote:i just don't like their sample much
100% agreed... the sample is far too small to draw any conclusions...

i know many people, (americans* in particular), who will probably fall far short of the 28%..

a technophile browsing a tech site is going to pull the data in one direction, and then reflect the opposite behaviour on, say, a philosophy blog...

a sample of 1-2K across various sectors, (professional, varsity, etc), over a period of at least 6 months will carry far more weight...

*i base this comment on the email responses i get from them - 99% of the time they respond to the information in the first line only, without displaying any indication that they've read further - frustrates me no end to have to repeat information contained in the same mail...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
jee

Post by jee »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

it's a fair comment - i no longer visit sites like dilbert... they're now so infested with "web 2.0" gimcrackery i'd sooner inject something foreign into my eyes...

aside from some heretofore unheard of cabal of users rushing around the web demanding this tripe be splashed across every page they visit, what possible sense does it make to include it? who asks for this nonsense?

advertising agencies will never change their spots... if they could get away with it, they'd tattoo popular chemo treatments on tumors at a premium in order to get that all important "surgeon exposure"...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel