Ubuntu on hardware RAID

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Ubuntu on hardware RAID

Post by Ron2K »

Hi all,

Got a little bit of a situation. I have 2x320GB drives in a RAID 0 array (nForce 4 motherboard). Windows sees the array just fine, so long as you press F6 when it tells you to and install the provided drivers.

Now, I'm trying to get Windows and Ubuntu (8.04) in a dual-boot setup. Everything was going along just fine until I got to the partition manager, where I was promptly informed that it detected two drives: sda and sdb (if I remember correctly). To me, that looks like it detected the two individual hard drives and not my RAID array - at which point I aborted the installation as I was concerned about my existing data getting nuked.

So, my question: does anyone know how to get Ubuntu to see my array?
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
FireFlyComputerSystems

Post by FireFlyComputerSystems »

I'm not too sure if the kernel supports nforce 4 RAID features. What is for sure though, is that the kernel on the installation cd/dvd you're using, does NOT support nforce4 RAID. You were very wise not to proceed with the installation.

I understand that the nforc4 RAID is a kind of software implementation. That is why you're able to see the individual disks, meantime, back at Bill Gates' place they appear as a RAID volume.

To be sure, you can check if the kernel actually supports nforce4 RAID. I don't think it does though.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Ah crap. Guess that Ubuntu will have to have its own hard drive then.

Thanks for the info.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
FireFlyComputerSystems

Post by FireFlyComputerSystems »

Hey Ron I checked again and it is supported by linux.

I booted to my ubuntu distro and went straight to the kerenl source. I downloaded it from kernel.org about a month ago. It's kernel 2.6.something. I did a makexconfig. The driver you need is sata_nv under seriel ATA.

The problem is that the the ubuntu installer isn't recognising the RAID volumes right? So this can only be because either (1) the dirver isn't loaded or (2) you actually have to tell linux about the RAID volumes in user land with mdraid, or (3) both.

To trouble shoot this problem I suggest doing the following: boot off the CD into rescue mode; check if the sata_nv driver is loaded, if not try load it with insmod. Once it's loaded use fdisk to see how the system identifies the drives; as a single logical volume? or as two individual physical drives as before.

The above is the best place to start because you will assert the low level functionality. Once you have this working, you can start looking at the higher level stuff with mdraid.

Eventually, if you can identify the RAID volumes from rescue mode, you can use the bootstrap installer from rescue mode to install to the RAID volume. and customise your kernel, persistent RAID volumes, etc.

Of course your easiest option would be to go the extra disk route. You can install ubuntu on a flash drive these days. Could lug it around with you where ever you go. I see 2gig sticks are going for a couple a hundered +-.

Or, just stick with Windows. Vista licenses are R800.00.