Forum Gremlins

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Forum Gremlins

Post by D3PART3D »

So the forum crawls, it's down every few days (sometimes every few hours) and frequently when there's a new page we get the "No post specified" error. This has been happening way more frequently than before... whatsup?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

especially with the " ATI vs nVidia" thread ..

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol:

i don't know... that php-nuke error page is kind of soothing... "stare into my eyes... you are getting sleepy"...

the "no posts exist" error is only in certain threads where a user was deleted without rolling changes, (somethign like that), thereby flubbing the thread's post count... but it's only at page boundaries..

ron2k will probably be able to explain the NPE issue...

the nuke crashes are a little more bothersome...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

and don't get me started about the system clock...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I say we call a vote to have Ron2K installed as forum president in order to get the new, shinier version of PHP Nuke installed. All in favour, say "I" (or "aye," whichever it actually is ... it's a little tricker in type).
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I say we install phpbb3
MIA

Post by MIA »

doo_much wrote:and don't get me started about the system clock...
I agree, its been like this for i dont know how long.

But i must say, i dont experience the forum that much slower, though, it is slower.
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

i say lets just get the admin's attention and ask them?
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
MIA

Post by MIA »

I did ask Jee about the forum's time and she said she'll look into it. I dont know if she found out something or not though :?

KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

schase wrote:I say we call a vote to have Ron2K installed as forum president in order to get the new, shinier version of PHP Nuke installed. All in favour, say "I" (or "aye," whichever it actually is ... it's a little tricker in type).
How about to guys just be happy that we have a forum. We will have the site admin address the bugs you listed as soon as he has a chance.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KillerByte wrote:How about to guys just be happy that we have a forum.
Ahahahahahaha! Are you calling us ungrateful? :lol:

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

KillerByte wrote:
schase wrote:I say we call a vote to have Ron2K installed as forum president in order to get the new, shinier version of PHP Nuke installed. All in favour, say "I" (or "aye," whichever it actually is ... it's a little tricker in type).
How about to guys just be happy that we have a forum. We will have the site admin address the bugs you listed as soon as he has a chance.
well hows about we get some feedback too?
MIA

Post by MIA »

Give it a little time Firestrm, this topic is barely 1 hour old :wink:

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

KillerByte wrote:How about to guys just be happy that we have a forum.
Well said.

Seriously, you guys harp on about the forum time being 20 minutes out... like, do you use the forum time to set your watch? Is PCF making you late for any appointments you might have?

And the PHP errors... like, maybe once a month for an hour... find something else to do with your internet connection in the meantime.

Oh, and the no posts exist - yes, that is mildly annoying, I'll admit. But then how many threads does that affect? None of any consequence, I don't think.

Nab and Dalfers get paid to produce a magazine - the forums are a labour of love, not a priority. Perhaps you all have forgotten how hard it was to get Cameron to make changes to the forum? Nearly impossible with his schedule.

Really now guys. On my list of worrisome things, forum Gremlins are way down there with starving children in Somalia, the war in Iraq and the the genocide in Darfur.
lancelot

Re: Forum Gremlins

Post by lancelot »

D3PART3D wrote:So the forum crawls, it's down every few days (sometimes every few hours) and frequently when there's a new page we get the "No post specified" error. This has been happening way more frequently than before... whatsup?
Rubbish
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

There are other people experiencing the same Lance, perhaps you have a rabbits foot in your pocket?

- Elon Musk
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

heres an example from the spam thread just a few moments ago
*EDIT* and the ati vs nvidia thread too

Last edited by Firestrm_ZA on 05 Jun 2008, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

I did get the "No post specified" error once. It happened when I made a post that then appeared on a new page. The screen refreshed to the page I was on. When I went to the new page, I got the error.

I just can't remember how I went to the new page. It could have been the page number at the bottom or the recent posts on the left hand side.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:Rubbish
i've had a number of php-nuke errors over the last month... something which happened only once or twice last year.. this points to an underlying problem getting worse..., (speed is also degrading gradually..)

yes, it's only a niggle, but if we, the users, don't alert anyone and the forum prangs... then will it be of sufficient import to alert anyone?. oh, hang about - no can do, as we don't have email contact with anyone involved in its maintenance, and, with the forum down, PM is a no go... :wink:

i believe D3PART3D was correct to raise the issue now, to see if it's a general problem or one specific to his machine...

@Firestrm: without a complete rebuild, the NPE issue is not going to go away, (tell certain posters here their post count will disappear and we'll never hear the end of it) :lol: - just post again... it's a spam thread...
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The forum is slow for me too on occasion, and it's been like this about two weeks now, if not more. I had posts time-out only to find double posts after a refresh and waiting like a minute for a thread to load's seemingly becoming a habit.

Actually thought it weird nobody else said anything until now, though I'm quite sure the problem is not my side, I can't actually recall experiencing any problems anywhere else.
capanno

Post by capanno »

wow how much time do you guys spend on the forum to notice these things... :lol:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
jee

Post by jee »

MIA wrote:I did ask Jee about the forum's time and she said she'll look into it. I dont know if she found out something or not though :?
I did and the powers to be said they will look into it - just remember, trying to publish a magazine is more important than sorting out something as small as the clock.

re the no post - just go into the actual forum, find the post and click on the previous page - and voila, problem solved ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

rustypup wrote:@Firestrm: without a complete rebuild, the NPE issue is not going to go away, (tell certain posters here their post count will disappear and we'll never hear the end of it) :lol: - just post again... it's a spam thread...
i do... rofl double posting 8)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:Rubbish
i've had a number of php-nuke errors over the last month... something which happened only once or twice last year.. this points to an underlying problem getting worse..., (speed is also degrading gradually..)

yes, it's only a niggle, but if we, the users, don't alert anyone and the forum prangs... then will it be of sufficient import to alert anyone?. oh, hang about - no can do, as we don't have email contact with anyone involved in its maintenance, and, with the forum down, PM is a no go... :wink:

i believe D3PART3D was correct to raise the issue now, to see if it's a general problem or one specific to his machine...

@Firestrm: without a complete rebuild, the NPE issue is not going to go away, (tell certain posters here their post count will disappear and we'll never hear the end of it) :lol: - just post again... it's a spam thread...
The issue was raised some weeks ago with jee, she reported it and dalfers informed us that it would be taken care of. As to having email contact, of course you do. What some seem to forget is that others use the forum too, except for the irritating problem of "no posts exist", I do not experience any other. Therefore the forum may or may not be deteriorating, there may be other issues involved here. Cameron was in favour of upgrading the forum to 3, he is now gone and we have to depend on others.
I would be the first to agree that time is a factor, there is not one person dedicated to forum maintenance.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:As to having email contact, of course you do
:lol: well ... yes.. some do, not all..

just to clarfy here:
1) No Post Exists: we all know about and accept.. it's not going away and has a simple workaround..

2) Post Time: is simply an issue with the server - can't be that difficult to fix but has zero impact on the forums...

3) PHP-Nuke errors and intermittent speed degradation - these two appear together in clumps and then vanish for a few days...

while 1 & 2 really are just niggles which can be safely ignored, 3 is concerning because these are indicators of an underlying gremlin getting ready to bite...