PCF August Question

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

PCF August Question

Post by KillerByte »

Do Anti-Piracy Measures Affect You?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I think the people most affected by logical anti-piracy measures are the counterfeiters. Sure, there are some horrific examples - Steam comes to mind - but in general they are there for a valid purpose. If done unobtrusively (ie. not requiring updating every week etc.) the use of anti-piracy measures is acceptable, if unfortunate.
to ápeiro anima
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

yes.

i get why they're there, just not the insistence on using them when the only people they affect are legitimate users...

the morally corrupt cesspool of snot-nosed gits out there who feel that their human rights include games for free are not going to stop, regardless of how much 'protection' is put in place...

the sad thing is that it is rarely the developer, but the publisher, who determines what, if any, protections are used... which often results in some or other release issue, (a good case in point is breed... the publisher took a working product, ham-fisted the protection into place and then proceeded to make certain other 'refinements' which produced a completely unplayable product...)

admittedly, i only have issue with certain systems, (starforce and RIAA's rootkit and region stupidity ranking the top of the list).
[size=0]spelling demonm, get thee behind me![/size]
Last edited by rustypup on 03 Jun 2008, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

They affect me, but not the Pirates! :evil:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: PCF August Question

Post by Anakha56 »

KillerByte wrote:Do Anti-Piracy Measures Affect You?
OT but is that question worded correctly? For some reason it sounds clumsy... :? Just me being silly...

What Rusty said...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

The measures that are meant for the pirates are shown to hinder the paying user rather than pirates.
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KB is an English major, so I guess you're just being silly :P

Besides, Rusty would have crucified him. :lol:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Mow

Post by Mow »

Im all for improving online activation systems. But against CD based anti piracy. The games rights belong to you , protect it game publishers. The cd however belongs to me . If i would like to make an iso to protect my original cd's I should be able to without the need to run a crack.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Mow wrote:Im all for improving online activation systems. But against CD based anti piracy. The games rights belong to you , protect it game publishers. The cd however belongs to me . If i would like to make an iso to protect my original cd's I should be able to without the need to run a crack.
+1 and a gold star.

Please print that in the mag!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin_za wrote:
Mow wrote:Im all for improving online activation systems. But against CD based anti piracy. The games rights belong to you , protect it game publishers. The cd however belongs to me . If i would like to make an iso to protect my original cd's I should be able to without the need to run a crack.
+1 and a gold star.

+1 and another request to go into the mag...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
MIA

Post by MIA »

*agrees with jamin*
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

jamin_za wrote:
+1 and a gold star.

i'll see... lol :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

MIA wrote:*agrees with jamin*
i don't

the content protection mechanisms tied to the media are, (aside from the aforementioned tripe), some of the least intrusive... doing away with these will only prompt an upsurge in the more intrusive ones..

frankly, i have only ever encountered a single issue with a disc 'wearing out' through use, and that's because it has never left the drive... (diablo 2)... other than that, the rest are still in good nick, mainly because i've never played them that much.. the whole "back up my discs" argument falls by the wayside when you consider that the replacement cost now is less than R100 for the full game and expansion.. it's a fop used by the whiners to mitigate their morally ambiguous lifestyles..[size=0]hehe[/size].
Last edited by rustypup on 03 Jun 2008, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: good counter rusty...

Okay how about copy protection systems that work hand in hand with Game Jackal(an example)? It allows the user to create a profile of the cd/dvd and be able to launch the game without the need for a cd/dvd. Currently it does a good job but some system it does not work with like starforce and Tages also the new Securom is also looking at making GJ die a slow and painful death :(.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

not ever having used it, i have no idea... if the 'profile' can be shared, then this clearly cirumvents the whole idea of legal/fair use..

securom does a decent job with minimal hassle...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

profile cannot be shared it is created to a random key generated during install. you can backup the key and profiles so in that way it can be seen as going against legal/fair use...

except now securom wants you to dial home during install and limit your install amounts :evil:
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

It's the same situation with DVD piracy, I buy an original DVD and they put that irritating "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A PURSE..." advert on. If only they could convince the pirates to attach that add to their dodgy DVDs...

Back to PCs though, couldn't designers come up with a flash disk based encryption whereby all new game purchases came with a flash disk that you needed to have inserted with the cd in the drive to install, but then could play the game without the cd in the drive or something?
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
MIA

Post by MIA »

Back to PCs though, couldn't designers come up with a flash disk based encryption whereby all new game purchases came with a flash disk that you needed to have inserted with the cd in the drive to install, but then could play the game without the cd in the drive or something?
That already exists. I have seen programs that needs a "dongle" in the com port (yea, its an oldish program) before you can run the program. You can install it without the "dongle", but not run it.
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

MIA wrote:That already exists. I have seen programs that needs a "dongle" in the com port (yea, its an oldish program) before you can run the program. You can install it without the "dongle", but not run it.
It works like that for certain really expensive software packages like some of the geological modelling and engineering packages we have at work.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:i have only ever encountered a single issue with a disc 'wearing out' through use, and that's because it has never left the drive... (diablo 2)... other than that, the rest are still in good nick, mainly because i've never played them that much..
Well there you go then!

Can I name for you the discs I have worn out over the years through use?

Deadlock - bought in 1996, cracked sometime in 2002 - found another copy at Cash Converters
Starcraft - bought in 1998 scratched beyond use about a year ago - have not as yet replaced
Homeworld - bought in 2000, died in a tragic accident when my chair rolled over it - not replaced as yet
Warhammer 40000 - bought in 2005, CD 1 scratched beyond repair
Civilization 4 - Bought in 2006, scratched beyond repair - not replaced as I have both the expansion packs that don't need it to play.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:died in a tragic accident when my chair rolled over it
PBCAK :P

i'm not denying it doesn't happen.. .i'm saying; given the volume of games purchased vs those worn down through use doesn't warrant the amount of repetitive bleating that pops up around the 'fair-use' eyepatch afflicted twits in defence of their ill-gotten booty...

thinking it through, i've also had a disc shatter in the drive... but, here's the thing.. neither the developer nor the publisher is responsible for my hardware... why make them responsible by proxy?

in many cases, the purile logic runs:
1) My disc is dead.
2) I paid for this game.
3) Referring back to 2), there is zero rational reason for me not resorting to piracy because, technically, refer to point 2.

So, my tyres are flat - i paid for them, i'm taking yours... because... i paid for them, dagnabbit!
Worship

Post by Worship »

Jonboy wrote:It's the same situation with DVD piracy, I buy an original DVD and they put that irritating "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A PURSE..." advert on. If only they could convince the pirates to attach that add to their dodgy DVDs...
Best anti-piracy idea ever! Put a retarded advert that you can't skip on a real DVD so you feel like buying a pirated one just to skip watching it. The advert being shown at the movies is also irritating although less so. If it had to be shown, rather show it on television or put in only in magazines or something.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

ever seen the ad on disney discs for Blu-Ray, its worse than watching the old DVD ad on VHS tapes (you could at least fast forward past that). the disney Blu-Ray ad is about 3-4 minutes long and boy is it a brain killer
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:
jamin_za wrote:died in a tragic accident when my chair rolled over it
PBCAK :P
Okay, that one may have been a poor example :lol:

rustypup wrote:1) My disc is dead.
2) I paid for this game.
3) Referring back to 2), there is zero rational reason for me not resorting to piracy because, technically, refer to point 2.
www.gamefaqs.com wrote:Is it legal to make a copy of a game I own?

Yes. U.S. Copyright laws allow you to make one backup copy of software you own. However, that backup copy is "tied" to your original. If you sell or give away your original software, you must destroy your backup copy or package it with the orignal when you sell or give it away. Likewise, you may not sell or give away your backup copy without the original.
Of course, with the advent of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), breaking the copyright protection on a piece of software you own has been made a crime in many cases, so if the software you are backing up implements copyright protection, it may also be illegal.
You see, that hurts me personally, because I generally buy a game and play it to death several times over.
I recently started playing Empire Earth again for the umpteenth time. And that CD now looks a bit dodge as well - I don't know if it will survive long...

I want to be able to make a copy of any CD or DVD I purchase. I'll even keep the broken original if I have to. The problem I have with copy protetion has been mentioned already.
It makes it impossible to copy the disc legally.
Pirates dont have that compunction. Copy bypassing tools are a dime a dozen, really, whats the point?

Online activation like Steam does not affect me, and I likewise don't have a problem going online to validate an install of a game - provided that in the event of my original breaking, my copy will do it too.
Really, the only anti-piracy measure that bothers me is copy-protection.
rustypup wrote:So, my tyres are flat - i paid for them, i'm taking yours... because... i paid for them, dagnabbit!
:lol: since making a copy of a disc you own is not theft, tell me again how you came up with this delightful parable :P
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I would pay slightly more for a game if I didn't need to activate online. Some of us only have access to ADSL at work and my 3G at home is WAY too expensive for steam, so to-date I still haven't played Half-Life 2 and am already lamenting Mass Effect. Methinks a game will be pirated eventually, regardless of the copy protection, so until an infallible method of copy-protection becomes available, they should just skip the whole thing.

It's the same as trying to buy a car and being forced to drive it over to said manufacturer occasionally to ensure that you haven't stolen it. It's an expense that the legitimate buyer has to deal with while the thieves are still getting the soft option. It's infuriating!
Last edited by Jonboy on 03 Jun 2008, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]