PCF August Question

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:
rustypup wrote:So, my tyres are flat - i paid for them, i'm taking yours... because... i paid for them, dagnabbit!
:lol: since making a copy of a disc you own is not theft, tell me again how you came up with this delightful parable
:lol:

perhaps not stated very clearly, but here it is again:
point x, v1.2: arguing for relaxation of copyright protections because your media might wear out is like arguing for free tyres because your existing ones might wear out...

stuff wears out... in the normal world, this is referred to as 'reality' - the normal person goes "Darn. Doesn't work anymore. I really enjoyed that game, so let's get another copy", the whiny git with the mental block spends his/her days bleating about how unfair the universe is and why/how s/he should be permitted to get stuff for free because if it... it really is a juvenile argument...

my message to the whiners is: nothing lasts forver - accept it, like most sane people would, or quit whining in defence of your morally defunct lifestyle choices.[size=0]dangle, dangle[/size]..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

When you pay for tires, you pay for rubber - when you pay for software, you pay for an abstract license. The license does not reside within the physical cd.

Tsk-tsk. Naturalists. ;) :lol:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

D3PART3D wrote:The license does not reside within the physical cd.
this is where the whining party has ended up... but the core reason for this level of distinction is because of the number of drooling nutjobs out there who have trouble reconciling the facts of life with their imaginary world of "why does everybody hate me? waaaah!"...

disc wore out... tough.. get another one.. how difficult is this?...

"My optical drive shattered my disc!" - and this is the fault of the devloper how?
"My optical drive scratched my disc" - ditto
"My 2 year old cousin ate my disc" - ditto..

i'm sorry,. but it really is childish... the world shouldn't have to bend the language to breaking point because of the sheer volume of crying babies out there...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

rustypup wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:The license does not reside within the physical cd.
this is where the whining party has ended up... but the core reason for this level of distinction is because of the number of drooling nutjobs out there who have trouble reconciling the facts of life with their imaginary world of "why does everybody hate me? waaaah!"...

disc wore out... tough.. get another one.. how difficult is this?...

"My optical drive shattered my disc!" - and this is the fault of the devloper how?
"My optical drive scratched my disc" - ditto
"My 2 year old cousin ate my disc" - ditto..

i'm sorry,. but it really is childish... the world shouldn't have to bend the language to breaking point because of the sheer volume of crying babies out there...
I agree with Rusty. I suppose if people wanted this level of service, they would be required to pay a monthly insurance premium for discs? Which would work out costly, much more so than buying the game on budget 5 years down the line when the discs break (although I must say, I have an original copy of Worms which is years old and still reads fine).
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:i'm sorry,. but it really is childish...
I agree whining about a broken disk is childish.

But is whining about one of your consumer rights being taken away also childish :?:

I used to be able to easily copy any of the CD's or DVD's I owned in case the original broke.
With the advent of copy protection, I lose this right.

How is it immature or childish to be upset about this.

Maybe it is a bit selfish to be upset about this, but as a consumer, that's a right I reserve.

Luckily most games I enjoy are not mainstream crud more focused on graphics than game play - and thus they do not need copy protection as the people who play them are intelligent and generally honest. All these FPS, Racing and Sport Sims that are so popular now.... The mouth-breathers who enjoy those dont really care about things like the shelf-life of games because in a months time they have moved on to the next game utilizing the 3 new features available with this weeks version of DirectX.

[size=0]LOLbait[/size]
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

lol...gosh you two...you must have whole walls full of trophies :lol:

jamin I need your number for next time this OSOD stops working (probably tomorrow) as I missed out on what could have been a really enjoyable afternoon in the company of such fine marksmen.

:lol:
to ápeiro anima
VinceThePrince

Re:

Post by VinceThePrince »

Mow wrote:Im all for improving online activation systems. But against CD based anti piracy. The games rights belong to you , protect it game publishers. The cd however belongs to me . If i would like to make an iso to protect my original cd's I should be able to without the need to run a crack.
Rustypup wrote: MIA wrote:*agrees with jamin*

i don't

the content protection mechanisms tied to the media are, (aside from the aforementioned tripe), some of the least intrusive... doing away with these will only prompt an upsurge in the more intrusive ones..

frankly, i have only ever encountered a single issue with a disc 'wearing out' through use, and that's because it has never left the drive... (diablo 2)... other than that, the rest are still in good nick, mainly because i've never played them that much.. the whole "back up my discs" argument falls by the wayside when you consider that the replacement cost now is less than R100 for the full game and expansion.. it's a fop used by the whiners to mitigate their morally ambiguous lifestyles..[size=0]hehe[/size].
I have to agree with both Mow and Rusty... On the one hand using the "I need to backup the discs incase the original gets poked" is valid, as anyone who has a domestic worker, or child will tell you, no discs are sacred or treated as well as we want them to... but now on the other hand, allowing this will then open up the games to some gross over-piracy (far beyond what is being seen now)... My honest suggestion to solve this on both sides would be a multi-fold (is that a word??) solution...

1) When installing the game, actually register the game...
2) When and IF the original disc get's poked, the distributors/game houses should then allow you to order a new disc (which should have some protection of its own to make sure it only get's used on the Registered persons PC), at a substantially lower price (basically just enough to cover the cost of the disc and shipping) so that you can still keep playing the game....

JMHO.... :D
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **